New PM to be nominated on Wednesday

snoop1130

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

The flaw in your logic is to suggest that a high voter turnout means that voters must want change. Voters turning out in droves can just as readily vote for the status quo as an alternative to proposed change. 

Change isn't necessarily a good thing anyway. Look again at the degeneration of the doomed societies in the western world. Once great and wealthy civilisations have been laid to waste and bankrupted by their own citizenry - all in the name of change. 

Hats off to Thailand for opposing the kind of change that has blighted the places where we came from. 

This topic is about Thailand and the high turnout of voters are resounding signals to the junta that they want to express their mandate. The fact that PPRP didn’t get the majority even with all the corrupt ways to rig the election is a loud cry that they want change and they do not want another junta government. 

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I used to spend hours futilely writing posts just like yours, until I realised that Thailand is better the way it is. I'd rather strong leadership than riots any day, and I have the freedom to live in peace.

Taking a look at the doomed societies of the western world - the miserable,  wretched and isolated decay of what was once good - only reinforces my change of mind. 

The liberal left virtue signalling viewpoint that dominates the west tries to make Thailand like itself. Good for Thailand for thumbing its nose at unwanted interference.

How would Thailand be better off the way it is right now ? Income equality is on a sharp decrease, freedom of speech curtailed, and the people at the helm are so inadequate, there is a sharp rise in the country's debt. 

Compared to the "doomed societies of the western world" I believe if Thailand could even be a few inches closer to those societies, it would be a massive improvement. Thailand is currently the underachiever in Asean, it could only hope to reach the likes of Singapore, Malaysia or even Vietnam. 

As to riots, if you think for one minute that the underlying dissent is gone, you are simply living in a dream world. Why do people never learn from history ? It boggles the mind that some people refuse to take those lessons, is it stupidity or stubborness I leave that in the middle. Smart it certainly ain't. 

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Voting is compulsory in Thailand, and even if it weren't I still don't see the point you are making. Voter turnout shows that people are voting, but not whom they are voting for. 

True, however, we also know whom they are voted for, and it ain't for Prayuth. They voted for other parties mostly. A very clear signal. 

42 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

This topic is about Thailand and the high turnout of voters are resounding signals to the junta that they want to express their mandate. The fact that PPRP didn’t get the majority even with all the corrupt ways to rig the election is a loud cry that they want change and they do not want another junta government. 

What the people want or do not want isn't going to change things. There are many factors that were obvious, prior to the election, as to what the outcome was going to be. The good General didn't even bother to do any electioneering is one of them!

I live in the Isaan "Heart Land" and from what my TW (who is, amongst other things, the local "Returning Officer") was saying the locals were resigned to the outcome prior to the event and there were not the normal 'Vote Buying' handouts? Voter turnouts were very average! In the overall scheme of things the locals primary concern is food on the plate and making tractor payments - which they are doing quite comfortably!

IMHO - Stability is the important outcome and I'm thinking the International Community are thinking the same!

2 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I used to spend hours futilely writing posts just like yours, until I realised that Thailand is better the way it is. I'd rather strong leadership than riots any day, and I have the freedom to live in peace.

Taking a look at the doomed societies of the western world - the miserable,  wretched and isolated decay of what was once good - only reinforces my change of mind. 

The liberal left virtue signalling viewpoint that dominates the west tries to make Thailand like itself. Good for Thailand for thumbing its nose at unwanted interference.

Umm. Freedoms? Those you traded in for " strong leadership" can't speak freely, can't protest freely, can't surf the internet freely, can't read uncensored press freely, can't even vote freely. Boy your "strong leadership" cost everyone else their freedom. But as long as your happy, 

Please use discretion in your references to the government. Phrases which can be considered as anti-coup will be removed. Referring to Thailand or the government as a dictatorship, military dictatorship or other such terms will be removed. 

6 minutes ago, bdenner said:

What the people want or do not want isn't going to change things. There are many factors that were obvious, prior to the election, as to what the outcome was going to be. The good General didn't even bother to do any electioneering is one of them!

I live in the Isaan "Heart Land" and from what my TW (who is, amongst other things, the local "Returning Officer") was saying the locals were resigned to the outcome prior to the event and there were not the normal 'Vote Buying' handouts? Voter turnouts were very average! In the overall scheme of things the locals primary concern is food on the plate and making tractor payments - which they are doing quite comfortably!

IMHO - Stability is the important outcome and I'm thinking the International Community are thinking the same!

The change will come from the younger segment of the population. The older population have seen the brutality of the military and most have resigned to that kind of intimidation and their fate, This election is all about the awakening of the youth angry with the last 5 years of human right abuses, corruption and the mismanagement of the economy. A young party has risen to take on the military and have been harassed all the way. They are the hope for a better future. Stability by intimidation is a false stability. 

"with the last 5 years of human right abuses, corruption and the mismanagement of the economy"

Well Eric there is one of your observations I agree with - that being the corruption issue! One asks why the good General is now purported to be one of the most wealthy men in Thailand (on a Generals Pension and Prime Minister wage)? AND why is he hanging onto the "Minister for Watches" and all things corrupt?

Been here 19 years and can't see any, so called, human rights abuses that are extraordinary to the ASIAN norm. You might like to enlighten me! (We all know about the Red, Black & Yellow Shirt confrontation of about 2011).

See my earlier post re the economy!

3 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Thailand sucks the way it is.   Freedom is stymied.  Bangkok is boring and getting more expensive for what reason ?  Bangkok is a dump with lousy, over priced mass transit compared to many cities in Asia; China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore......  Strong leadership in yours and many uneducated Thais minds comes from a barrel of a gun.  Congratulations of trashing western participatory government in favor of armed buffoons in green.  Did they teach civics where you come from ?  

Your change of mind comes with the non pondering the great advances of Thailand's Asian neighbors like Malaysia and Taiwan.  Both countries do not have military conscripts, unlike Thailand.  Both Countries do not have coups, but rather functioning governments, unlike Thailand.  China has more freedoms for Farangs and Chinese than Thailand.  What cave do you live in ?

Liberal left ?   Thailand ?   What sort of social safety net is there ?  There isn't one.  You are worried about liberalism where most do not enjoy a decent education, freedom of expression and are barred from certain industries. 

14 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Bangkok is a dump with lousy, over priced mass transit compared to many cities in Asia; China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore

Off topic

I thought 21bht to travel on the MRT from the train station to Morchit was entirely reasonable.

Taxi wanted 300bht, tuk-tuk wanted 250bht.

On topic

I'm putting my money on Prayut for PM, even if he has to shoot his opponents.

7 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Thailand sucks the way it is.   Freedom is stymied.  Bangkok is boring and getting more expensive for what reason ?  Bangkok is a dump with lousy, over priced mass transit compared to many cities in Asia; China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore......  Strong leadership in yours and many uneducated Thais minds comes from a barrel of a gun.  Congratulations of trashing western participatory government in favor of armed buffoons in green.  Did they teach civics where you come from ?  

Your change of mind comes with the non pondering the great advances of Thailand's Asian neighbors like Malaysia and Taiwan.  Both countries do not have military conscripts, unlike Thailand.  Both Countries do not have coups, but rather functioning governments, unlike Thailand.  China has more freedoms for Farangs and Chinese than Thailand.  What cave do you live in ?

Liberal left ?   Thailand ?   What sort of social safety net is there ?  There isn't one.  You are worried about liberalism where most do not enjoy a decent education, freedom of expression and are barred from certain industries. 

Well gee if you cant afford an average of $1 per trip on the MRT or BTS then your doing it pretty tough and that's reflected in the anger emerging from your post

Dont you live in cambodia or some hillbilly village somewhere? from memory Im think you do

52 minutes ago, bdenner said:

Been here 19 years and can't see any, so called, human rights abuses that are extraordinary to the ASIAN norm. You might like to enlighten me! (We all know about the Red, Black & Yellow Shirt confrontation of about 2011).

I am speechless that you think human right abuses are not extraordinary. I know this human right report will not change your mind but I hope you take time to read.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2019/country-chapters/thailand

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I am speechless that you think human right abuses are not extraordinary. I know this human right report will not change your mind but I hope you take time to read.

whowww, thanks man, I knew they were some HR abuses but to that extend and they say Thailand it's a democracy

10 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Try to go back and read earlier reports from the same organisation from when Thaksin was prime minister (such as this one from 2006), and you will see that things were definitely not better back then.

Sophon

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

I believe Khun Prayut Chan O Cha is the best choice for the role and to his credit continue to develop Thailand with more projects, more infrustructure and more exports which will help boost the Thai economy.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do but hey .... look on the bright side .... you can go to the Philippines or Laos or Cambodia if you fancy them. Why stay here and moan and groan.  lol

Read this... and release all my sphincters. Most hilarious post under the new (20th) constitution.

22 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

I have always never understood any foreigner or expat with a Western education who can support the Amart, the Elite, the Junta or the Yellow Shirt movement and all it represents and stands for.

I just can't fathom it.

As for your "more projects, more infrastructure, more weapons" - have you ever thought of the word accountability and any Thai academic, politician, anybody asked to see the books and invoices?

And no, i don't want to move, but i have every right to moan about these scumbag parasites.

Why you lost your time replay with Thai junta troll ?

59 minutes ago, madmen said:

Well gee if you cant afford an average of $1 per trip on the MRT or BTS then your doing it pretty tough and that's reflected in the anger emerging from your post

Dont you live in cambodia or some hillbilly village somewhere? from memory Im think you do

Me ? No.   We are talking about the average Thai who makes less than his Asian counter parts but pays more, which is galling.  If memory serves, the subway and skytrain STILL do not have interchangeable, common fares, whereas most cities in other Asian countries do.

Curtailed freedoms, authoritarianism and poor governance and you want to talk about my ability to afford the skytrain, an interesting set of priorities. 

I live in KL. 

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

I suspect that your life has been unsuccessful in Thailand, perhaps through your own mediocre performance failing to keep up with the competitive nature of expatriate life.  

Successful people don't dwell on negatives, nor do they imagine that other countries will have streets paved with gold. Successful people work hard and do well wherever they are.

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I thought we had a stalemate at the moment with two parties yet to announce their allegiance?

Maybe I missed something.

Never the less, he will still be selected (by the Senate he appointed) as Prime Minister. Then, unable to form a government he will dissolve parliament, this will spark off a dispute with the other military faction, who will claim that it is for them to find the Jubta, and so the downward spiral will continue.

3 hours ago, madmen said:

Well, if he does, so do the majority of the Thai people. A majority who didn't vote for Prayut you will recall.

What is more, a very large number of  those who live in and around Bangkok are migrant labour from these "hillybilly" villages, effectively disenfranchised and paid poverty-level wages, so travel on the BTS/MRT is out of the question for them too.

It hardly takes the brains of an Archbishop to work out what the eventual result of perpetuating this split in Thai society (rule by the Bangkok minority, whose contempt for the bulk of the people you seem to share) will be. 

Interestingly, even the young metropolitan class do seem to realise - as is evidenced by the rise of "Future Forward - and it is clearly worrying their elders. They, (the elders) however don't know what to do. so are sticking to the old formulae...

16 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Hats off to Thailand for opposing the kind of change that has blighted the places where we came from. 

The military and the other institution oppose change, that is all....

The last couple of semi fair elections have been an over whelming vote for change.

This latest election was rigged and they still couldn't win a majority ????

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Again, you're hung up on the premise that western style democracy is the best thing for Thailand. You probably saw it on CNN or similar liberal left media outlets - I used to be the same as you, so I know the kind of lies well meaning people like you get taken in by. It was very scary to admit to myself that I what I'd believed in was based on falsehoods, and change my position, but we live and (hopefully) learn as we go.

If democracy means that Thailand becomes like the western world, where nobody has respect for anything anymore, then I'll continue supporting the status quo. 

Patriotic Thais still respect their institutions, their families, their elders and their religion. I like that, and I'll keep voting for a government that isn't hell bent on replacing age old traditions with degenerated change for the sake of change. 

I think your hang up is that you think Thailand like all Asian countries subscribed to western style democracy. I can tell you from an Asian perspective that western style democracy is not suitable for Asia. Asia adapted their own eastern style democracy and contain all the elements that you referenced. 

3 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I think your hang up is that you think Thailand like all Asian countries subscribed to western style democracy. I can tell you from an Asian perspective that western style democracy is not suitable for Asia. Asia adapted their own eastern style democracy and contain all the elements that you referenced. 

Do you really believe that other countries in the region - Singapore, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, China, etc - really are in any way democracies? 

They are all despotisms. Talk out of line and you get squashed. 

On 5/31/2019 at 8:39 PM, thaiguzzi said:

I have always never understood any foreigner or expat with a Western education who can support the Amart, the Elite, the Junta or the Yellow Shirt movement and all it represents and stands for.

I just can't fathom it.

As for your "more projects, more infrastructure, more weapons" - have you ever thought of the word accountability and any Thai academic, politician, anybody asked to see the books and invoices?

And no, i don't want to move, but i have every right to moan about these scumbag parasites.

Ignore him since he's other a troll or an ignoramus.In any event his opinion is worthless.

But I must take you up on one point.There were plenty of yellow shirts who were civic minded and decent and in the early stages at least were reacting to Thaksin's authoritarian and corrupt rule.

Unfortunately the movement mutated for reasons most of us are familiar with.Indeed it could plausibly be argued these decent people referred to above were "used".

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Ignore him since he's other a troll or an ignoramus.In any event his opinion is worthless.

This is exactly the kind of language autocrats use. What a paradoxical thing for a so called democrat to say. 

12 hours ago, dbrenn said:

I suspect that your life has been unsuccessful in Thailand, perhaps through your own mediocre performance failing to keep up with the competitive nature of expatriate life.  

Successful people don't dwell on negatives, nor do they imagine that other countries will have streets paved with gold. Successful people work hard and do well wherever they are.

We are not talking about negatives.  We are talking about right and wrong.  Negatives are things like bad Bangkok traffic that will never go away.  Wrongs are curtailing freedoms, armed men holding a country hostage. 

Westerners who side with coup leaders are betraying those who made western civilization great: John Locke, Voltaire, Thomas Jefferson.....   

My life has been absolutely beautiful and amazing.  Done things only a few expatriates get to do.  Thanks for asking.    

Archived