Pattaya is dead now

dreaming

11 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

A list of queues I stood in or places I couldn't find a car park, yesterday in Jomtien "ghost town".

Macro, no parking anywhere near the store entrance, waited 5 minutes in a queue for a free checkout, with all check-outs staffed.

Foodmart, no parking and waited in a queue for a check-out.

Post office queued out the door, had to double park while the wife posted some packages.

Jomtien night market, waited for customer in front to be served before we could order our food, then all the seating was full so we had to eat over on the beach.

Traffic was pretty busy, all those full baht buses tend to slow things down.

Traffic jam and having people on the street or in restaurants or bars are 2 slightly different things ????????

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The tourists in those tour buses stay at out-of-town hotels owned by Chinese. They eat in groups at restaurants owned by Chinese. They block the roads very effectively but dont actually spend much money in individually run establishments.

I think the whole chinese hotels and resturants is one of those urban myths, wife has family that own hotels and restaurants and they do very well out of Chinese bus groups, nothing to do with any Chinese ownership.

Go round to Ninja BBQ on second road jomtien, its full every night and it seats 200 people, they just put the price up by 25% and its still full of chinese bus groups, they actually send the buses to hotels to pick up chinese customers . All Thai owned

It has not hit thai visa news yet but 12 multinationals are laying off staff as well and some are moving to Vietnam and surrounding countries .

From memory, Samsung are laying off 3000 people 

Toyota over 30000 people 

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think the whole chinese hotels and resturants is one of those urban myths, wife has family that own hotels and restaurants and they do very well out of Chinese bus groups, nothing to do with any Chinese ownership.

Go round to Ninja BBQ on second road jomtien, its full every night and it seats 200 people, they just put the price up by 25% and its still full of chinese bus groups, they actually send the buses to hotels to pick up chinese customers . All Thai owned

And how much does your wife family pay to Chinese operators ? 30%? Or 50%?

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Traffic jam and having people on the street or in restaurants or bars are 2 slightly different things ????????

The traffic has to be going somewhere, are they just driving around in circles and not eating ?

My plan today is the buffet lunch at tiger park, 150 baht (thaiprice with pinkID) for a huge hotel style buffet lunch, and I know it will be full, of tourists arriving in buses. Hopefully I wont have to wait to long for a table.

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

The traffic has to be going somewhere, are they just driving around in circles and not eating ?

My plan today is the buffet lunch at tiger park, 150 baht (thaiprice with pinkID) for a huge hotel style buffet lunch, and I know it will be full, of tourists arriving in buses. Hopefully I wont have to wait to long for a table.

Right, so in your world all is packed , for some reason in mine it’s empty, including post office and immigration and all surrounding restaurants 

be a spot and take a photo of all those packed places with a date stamp, thanks in advance ????

Shhhh ! Don't tell everyone .. secret !

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, gusincebu said:

Shhhh ! Don't tell everyone .. secret !

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

lol, we have been considering getting rid of the refrigerator and cooking stuff and just eat there everyday,

20 minutes ago, BestB said:

And how much does your wife family pay to Chinese operators ? 30%? Or 50%?

Nothing, they are actually pro-active about it and send buses to pick up the chinese from there hotels. 

Just now, Peterw42 said:

Nothing, they are actually pro-active about it and send buses to pick up the chinese from there hotels. 

????????????,and this is when I know you posting BS????????????

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

????????????,and this is when I know you posting BS????????????

Go and stay in any hotel, have a look at the rack full of tour brochures in the foyer, you will find 20-30 places that offer free hotel pick up for their attraction, restaurant, tour etc. All the floating restaurants off pattaya have fleets of buses for just that purpose. You call the number on the brochure, 4 people from Acme hotel, they send a bus around to get you.

Not sure what part of that you find so unbelievable, I can call big  restaurant right now and book a free pick up from my condo/hotel for tonight

All thats happened is that Pattaya has changed ,when i first came there were no dept stores or supermarkets ,not even Mcdonalds , But now it is a busy commercial town full of weekenders coming to go to the dept stores etc , it really changed when Central mall opened , the "out of towners" started coming ,

43 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Well, my idea of a fun day does not include queuing for tables at a tour bus buffet.

Nor does it include patronising Thai animal "attractions" in any way shape or form. I just want to see them closed permanently.

4 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Well, my idea of a fun day does not include queuing for tables at a tour bus buffet.

Nor does it include patronising Thai animal "attractions" in any way shape or form. I just want to see them closed permanently.

Ethical tourism issues aside, the point being that these places are full of the non-exsitent tourists. You cant say there are no tourists on one hand then say you dont want to queue up with the tourists on the other hand.

54 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

and supporting a place that is an absolute disgrace to animal well fare. 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

Ethical tourism issues aside, the point being that these places are full of the non-exsitent tourists. You cant say there are no tourists on one hand then say you dont want to queue up with the tourists on the other hand.

I dont say that there are no tourists. I say that there are different tourists.

Personally I dont object as I go nowhere that the Chinese and Indians go to, so apart from the traffic nuisance their tour buses cause they dont really bother me at all.

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

There are thousands of tourists but only of Asian persuasion. Westerners....very very few and the long term winter stayers have also gone home. When businesses are offering a roast dinner for 59 baht just to get bums on seats it speaks volumes, and even that cant attract anyone.

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

and supporting a place that is an absolute disgrace to animal well fare. 

Replace tiger park with floating market if you prefer, it was really just an example of a place full of tourists, not a promotion.

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Replace tiger park with floating market if you prefer, it was really just an example of a place full of tourists, not a promotion.

Just another rip off venue. I prefer the seafood outlets on mae ramphung beach. Hardly any tourists at all.  But too far away from that dump of a City, Pattaya, for those glued to the place. 

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

31 years living in Thailand,been around most of the country and

Islands, but never been to Pattaya,what am i missing,and should

i visit before it dies.

regards Worgeordie

No, you haven't missed anything. 

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

i visit before it dies.

regards Worgeordie

Its OK, I think most of the vocal critics haven't actually been here either, or dont step outside of the sexpat sois.

Outside of the sexpat sois its no different to the rest of Thailand, maybe a bit more western infrastructure and tourist attractions.

12 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

i visit before it dies.

regards Worgeordie

Reading your post, I thought you were going to say '...before I die.'  Your version is much funnier.  

Archived