Pattaya is dead now

dreaming

On 12/5/2019 at 9:09 AM, yogi100 said:

Apparently you have to apply for that 2 month SETV on line in some countries and it's not as straight forward as it was. Some older blokes do not even know how to turn a computer on let alone apply on line for a visa.

Then you've got to chase down to Jomtien and hope you can get another month's extension.

People want to be able to relax for the 3 or 4 months, not have to go chasing about or flying in and out of Thailand while they're on winter break or a long holiday. It's bad enough having to fly for hours on end and half way round the world just to get to Thailand.

Then you have to contend with ever rising prices prices, a lousy exchange rate and the worsening and increasingly mercenary attitude of the locals once you've arrived there.

As others have said I also know a couple of regular visitors who are calling it a day and one of my ex pat chums who has been in Pattaya for 12 years is going back to the UK in February and may not come back. He says it's not the Thailand he knew before and he's had it with the place.

Some people simply don't want the aggravation, that's why fewer falangs will be coming to Thailand for long holidays in the future. I'm in Pattaya right now and it's the quietest I've ever seen it at this time of the year. It can and will only get worse.

It is indeed a right faf getting into Thailand, I have to consider Spain or Italy next year,

cheap short flight, cheap accomodation, how difficult can it be? Might even try Russia.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, talahtnut said:

It is indeed a right faf getting into Thailand, I have to consider Spain or Italy next year,

cheap short flight, cheap accomodation, how difficult can it be? Might even try Russia.

well i looked at a snitzel visa a couple years back when i was considering portugal or hopping around europe for more then a month per location and is was very complicated. they wanted all kinds of <deleted>.

I've got a couple of pals, long-time Pattaya visitors, just returned for the first time in nearly two years. Yeah, the exchange rate kept my Brit friends home. They've posted some photos of their bar tour. The striking thing was the empty bar stools and tables in New Plaza (and elsewhere). "The Plaza looks empty," I say. "Yeah pretty much is mate," was the reply. And not once does a moto or car pass by in the background in a string of photos. No mobile vendors either.

You could usually count on NP being somewhat busy most times of the year. I was in NP in the first week of November. The place was a ghost town. 

When all is said and done, Pattaya doesn't do much for me any more, which has been the case for several years now and I only use it to catch up with the odd visiting friend.   

4 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

I've got a couple of pals, long-time Pattaya visitors, just returned for the first time in nearly two years. Yeah, the exchange rate kept my Brit friends home. They've posted some photos of their bar tour. The striking thing was the empty bar stools and tables in New Plaza (and elsewhere). "The Plaza looks empty," I say. "Yeah pretty much is mate," was the reply. And not once does a moto or car pass by in the background in a string of photos. No mobile vendors either.

You could usually count on NP being somewhat busy most times of the year. I was in NP in the first week of November. The place was a ghost town. 

When all is said and done, Pattaya doesn't do much for me any more, which has been the case for several years now and I only use it to catch up with the odd visiting friend.   

Me too,have booked a 5 week flight  will doubt i.'ll be in los a week,too expensive,for a third world country.

1 hour ago, fhickson said:

well i looked at a snitzel visa a couple years back when i was considering portugal or hopping around europe for more then a month per location and is was very complicated. they wanted all kinds of <deleted>.

Yes, It´s very complicated. The only thing you need is a Schengen visa and you can move around as you wish in Europe(EU). Sound very hard, right?

6 minutes ago, fhickson said:

thats all you do is sit around and drink beer.

get out, man up, and get some exercise and a job you fat fuk.

I know it 5uck5! Some people have to work. Me on the other hand, can just look at people doing that. With a beer in my hand. Not fat, due to that I have interests like going to gym, mma and other fun sports you know. Hey, you should try living my life sometimes. By all means, don´t stretch your budget, boy. ????

3 hours ago, fhickson said:

What the Schengen visa? Just got one for wife, not a hard thing at all. Fill the application, visit VFS in Bangkok for prints and submit application, wait, passport with visa came back with EMS. Hardest thing was getting to the middle of BKK.

if Pattaya is dead, why does it still take more than an hour to drive directly up from beach road to the railway station on a normal afternoon?

Look around at all the new condo's/housing stretching way out past Jontien and up the hill, its soon going to be just another suburb of Bangkok.

Oh, if you mean less Chinese tourists …………….the deader the better.

dead,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ba humbug.

PS. no clever bug..rs ...........not a slow car. 555

19 hours ago, MiKT said:

Look around at all the new condo's/housing stretching way out past Jontien and up the hill, its soon going to be just another suburb of Bangkok.

Well actually that is the other way, but yes it is getting built up. I live North of town and always feel challenged how I can get anywhere to the South without an exercise in frustration. You got to pick your times. 

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Probably because you're taking a 40min break?

I don't expect it would be faster driving the wrong way down Beach Rd, you also cannot turn off Hwy 7 to the right, and use the wrong side of the dual carriageway that is the railway line bypass. You would need to U-Turn at Soi Siam CC, easier to drive up Sukhumvit to Soi Siam CC. 

Reading the down-beat comments on Pattayas evolution, I cant help thinking of the persons making these comments and their evolution. Im guessing they are not less fat, bald, cheap charlied or well dressed as before. ha-ha

On 6/2/2019 at 9:09 PM, jackj said:

You better check from what income level the Chinese government considers the citizen to be a middle class 

I don't use their figures and neither should you. I'm quoting the IMF, WTO and UN.

17 minutes ago, JIMHILL said:

Reading the down-beat comments on Pattayas evolution, I cant help thinking of the persons making these comments and their evolution. Im guessing they are not less fat, bald, cheap charlied or well dressed as before. ha-ha

And I am sure you are completely correct.

The 'why can't they be more like us, speak English that I understand, sell food that I can eat' peptic, sour, depressed, permanently angry brigade.

I once got suspended for calling them fat bald and smelly so be careful. ????

46 minutes ago, JIMHILL said:

Is it faster to get around Bangkok on a high horse than the Skytrain?

Archived