Pattaya is dead now

dreaming

Soi buakhau has mostly been popular with  Brits.

Back in the day £1 bought 70 Baht

Now less than 40

From the British perspective Thailand is just too expensive.

So Soi buakhau will in particular suffer.

A no deal Brexit (  £1  = 35 Baht) will kill off British tourists almost completely

The 35 will coincide with the start of high season

Things may improve  starting in 2022-then again maybe not.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The majority if you want to get into semantics.

Just back from a swim downstairs and chatting to guess who, a couple of independent Chinese tourists, here for 2 weeks and arranged the whole thing themselves, they are going to the Thai restaurant on the corner tonight and taking themselves to Koh Larn in the morning. 

So it’s now back to majority because there was a couple of independent tourist in the pool????????????

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

So it’s now back to majority because there was a couple of independent tourist in the pool????????????

TOT have produced figures in the last 12 months showing that most Chinese visitors are now independant travellers, FIT. The gap is growing too between FIT and group tours. You may find this hard to believe if you sit on the beach and see all the Chinese getting landed on boats and boarding and disembarking coaches. 

There are many young and independant Chinese staying at my condo complex in Naklua and plenty others in Pattaya ....  but that's another story.

16 hours ago, Skallywag said:

you posted at 5am - normally "dead" at that time.... ????  

The poor chap is suffering from old fashioned, anglo-saxon "uhtceare":

"Uhtceare meant 'worry before dawn'. Uht was the time before dawn and ceare meant care. The Anglo Saxons were sorely afflicted by uhtceare, especially the wives."

One Soi Made in Thailand bar owner i spoke to said that people have been saying Pattaya is finished for years now but still keeps going.

I spent a lot of time in another bar there in January and April. Most nights you could count the customers on one hand.

How they pay the rent is beyond me.

Thai Friendly and line etc has made non bar hook ups cheaper and easier.

No bar fine, lady drinks etc has made having fun cheaper in an age where most major currencies are declining against the thai baht.

Pattaya will always fill a niche but every high season seems to get quieter and low season lower.

I have grown to like the place over the last 5 years and hope it continues in its disfunctional way.

TOT have produced figures in the last 12 months showing that most Chinese visitors are now independant travellers, FIT. The gap is growing too between FIT and group tours. You may find this hard to believe if you sit on the beach and see all the Chinese getting landed on boats and boarding and disembarking coaches. 
There are many young and independant Chinese staying at my condo complex in Naklua and plenty others in Pattaya ....  but that's another story.

In central Pattaya, far more Chinese bus groups, it's very noticable vs independent Chinese travellers. Maybe that stat if genuine relates to the whole of Thailand where it's more plausible

23 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Wrong title. Should be "Soi Buakhao is dead now", but Pattaya is booming, thanks to real tourists, not sex tourists. :cool:

Soi Buakhao is a very special street. Many cheap accommodations nearby, mainly massage places and bars, bars, bars... A place where you can see nearly 24/7 old fat Cheap Charlie farangs drinking beer while watching the horrible traffic in this Soi… What an exiting life and Soi!:crying: Not a bad thing for Pattaya if Soi Buakhao is dying... IMHO.

You will probably find soi 8 dead walked down 15 bars empty 5 closed 10pm.... Real tourists are not here all year and go out everyday 365 those on soi buakao do? and live there?

As a Chinese, some people's ignorance and prejudice of China in this topic make me laugh.

But anyway, this is my observation.

1. The number of Chinese tourists to Thailand will not increase any more.Most of China's middle-aged and elderly will never come to Thailand again.One time is enough.

2. More people will travel to other Southeast Asian countries, the number of Chinese tourists to Vietnam is increasing sharply. Very fast

3. The proportion of independent tourists in China will increase

4. There will be more and more Chinese money coming into Pattaya's "sex industry".

I think for many Brits a sub 40 Pound is the final straw. Pattaya used to be cheap but most definitely is not now. Wine at 20 GBP+  a bottle. Girls were always the big draw but if you end up paying 100 GBP + then even that is not worth it.

2 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I think for many Brits a sub 40 Pound is the final straw. Pattaya used to be cheap but most definitely is not now. Wine at 20 GBP+  a bottle. Girls were always the big draw but if you end up paying 100 GBP + then even that is not worth it.

The Russians left when ruble got 50% chop

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Girls were always the big draw but if you end up paying 100 GBP + then even that is not worth it.

If it did I would leave as that is why I am here.

All total that is about the rate now at the higher end Gogo's. Which is why I never go. I hope most residents know better.

1 hour ago, daemon said:

As a Chinese, some people's ignorance and prejudice of China in this topic make me laugh.

But anyway, this is my observation.

1. The number of Chinese tourists to Thailand will not increase any more.Most of China's middle-aged and elderly will never come to Thailand again.One time is enough.

4. There will be more and more Chinese money coming into Pattaya's "sex industry".

1) What is the population of China ? :cheesy:

4) Yes more Chinese sex tourists, think your right on that one.

22 hours ago, BestB said:

I do not need to go anywhere. I own hotel and restaurant for past 15 years.

You can feed BS to everyone else not to me. 

Maybe you’re feeding it to them, that’s why it’s empty. 

23 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

1) What is the population of China ? :cheesy:

4) Yes more Chinese sex tourists, think your right on that one.

hmm never really thought about #1 before but maybe could add:

what is the population of china.. who are:

under 65

over 18

wealthy enough to come here

have enough wealthy friends/family to travel with

are allowed to travel

still a lot i imagine but judging by the rest of asia only a small minority are even wealthy enough to actually travel. at 20M visitors per year that pot is not bottomless so TH better pray they come back for more visits

Nonsense, there are plenty of buses full of Chinese polluting the air all over Pattaya.  You might get a glimpse of the tourists when they disembark at a Chinese owned dim sum restaurant or at a tour on walking street following the flags but not shopping there.

I'm curios if the reconstruction happening on parts of beach is still underway. Last time I've been (last year)it was a depressing sight. I stayed at Adelphi Hotel and other than buses filled with Indians visiting the massage parlour next to it there wasn't much action. Everything looked deserted. Granted I visited in September and that may be a reason but still..

under 65
over 18
are allowed to travel

still a lot i imagine but judging by the rest of asia only a small minority are even wealthy enough to actually travel. at 20M visitors per year that pot is not bottomless so TH better pray they come back for more visits

I can't see the Chinese coming back. Once they've done all the touristy stuff,Koh Larn, Parasailing and the rest its finished for them, might as well go elsewhere

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

under 65
over 18
are allowed to travel

I can't see the Chinese coming back. Once they've done all the touristy stuff,Koh Larn, Parasailing and the rest its finished for them, might as well go elsewhere

Probably true but there seems to be a very large supply of first time/last time Chinese visitors so far. 

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Why im not going to Pattaya this year 

Bad exchange rate is number 1 

Australian dollar is nearly $50;for a 1000 baht

$50 for 1,000 baht !!

I would like to try the Phillipines this year 

Your Aussie Dollar is very weak against the US Dollar and that will follow you as part of the FX calculation wherever you go. Same as us Brits with our weakness against the Greenback restricting us. Cant get away from it

Archived