Three men sentenced to death for murdering British expat and wife in northern Thailand

rooster59

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is perhaps the first time I have read of the follow up to a crime resulting in an unquestionable outcome.. It seems the correct people have been found and sentenced with a penalty fitting the crime.

RIP the deceased & Rot in hell for the murderers. 

As others have mentioned, marrying into an educated family who doesn't need or potentially feel some sort of entitlement to your money may eradicate these issues - mileage will of course vary, but that was always my take on it for those willing to take the step into marriage in the first place. 

Just now, smedly said:

They are all very nice people until they need something or you need it back

I have seen tremendous acts of kindness here and we have all seen tremendous acts of violence, if you feel totally safe in this country there is something wrong with your thinking

Sleep with one eye open

I personally have never witnessed acts of violence here, on the contrary lots of kindness, must be something wrong with me, I hope I'm not cured.

2 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Very sad indeed. 

I am NOT blaming the victims here or making any remarks about the lady's family.

However, farangs should be careful to understand the Thai families they marry into. 

There's a reason the Thai Chinese folks don't often marry into these types of poor, Thai families. 

Best is marry into a family that doesn't need your money. Though that does severely limit the available women. 

I'm always amused by people who say

"There's a reason..... "

withthout providing the actual reason. 

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is perhaps the first time I have read of the follow up to a crime resulting in an unquestionable outcome.. It seems the correct people have been found and sentenced with a penalty fitting the crime.

As others have mentioned, marrying into an educated family who doesn't need or potentially feel some sort of entitlement to your money may eradicate these issues - mileage will of course vary, but that was always my take on it for those willing to take the step into marriage in the first place. 

Well it should be obvious that marrying appropriately isn't a bad bad idea. 

However we know nothing about the hoggs, or how they met. 

No age gap to speak of etc. 

You would certainly never find me settling down to village life however. 

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I personally have never witnessed acts of violence here, on the contrary lots of kindness, must be something wrong with me, I hope I'm not cured.

do you watch the news - do you read news reports - that is "seen"

when I say "seen" - perhaps a better choice of word would have been "aware"

So many negative posts about Thai family's , Mine are lovely , no one (except youngest brother) ever ask for money ,and that's from all the family not just us , as the foreigner i am never ever expected to pay and am treated just like everyone else so sorry for any of you that do not have Thai wives and family like i have .

When everyone talks about moving to Philippines, no one ever mentions if stuff of this scale also happens to foreigners over there.

I'd live to know from expats who live there.

1 minute ago, tsk3009 said:

Is it just me or does it seem that foreigners get murdered by Thais more often than foreigners getting murdered by locals in other Asian nations by locals... can anyone comment on this...

I would, but I may get rubbed out. And I'm not talking massage talk. 

2 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

So many negative posts about Thai family's , Mine are lovely , no one (except youngest brother) ever ask for money ,and that's from all the family not just us , as the foreigner i am never ever expected to pay and am treated just like everyone else so sorry for any of you that do not have Thai wives and family like i have .

I think most of the mixed relationships in Thailand are like this... but posting about 'normalcy' doesn't make for interesting reading, only the negative posters tend to be so forthcoming in their opinions - we see the same extremely misogynistic comments time and time again from the same posters who've been burnt, its obvious that these guys are the weak link in any relationship. 

That said, there are also plenty examples of fools who only have themselves to blame. 

4 minutes ago, unamazedloso said:

My sister inlaw i dont trust. Not to worry im carrying because so is she and her government official husband!!

Feel real sorry for this couple. Just despicable and glad they be punished accordingly.

What a nasty family you've got there. I have mentioned earlier in TV that my father-in-law is dying at home, he isn't a well liked man and he and his daughter, my missus, have been estranged for a long time and yet the village all rally round with help, keeping watch, keeping him company and chatting with his wife in the yard. My missus is by his side 4 hours a day and gets up at night to change his adult nappies, during times when help is needed all the old wounds are forgotten and help is at hand, here where I live at least and I am happy that it is so.

12 minutes ago, smedly said:

do you watch the news - do you read news reports - that is "seen"

when I say "seen" - perhaps a better choice of word would have been "aware"

Yes of course, but I also read UK and German newspapers and see no difference except perhaps that random acts of violence seem more prevalent in the UK.

1 hour ago, Dukeleto said:

I have a better idea. DONT GET MARRIED! Best life insurance policy you will ever have living in Thailand. Unless of course you are dirt poor with zero prospects of every making anything of yourself and you prospective wife is rich. Actually that could get you killed too.

Yes! I keep saying this and people scoff at him. Do not get married, I'm 31 years old now and my Thai GF has known the score since day 1. 

26 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

I'm always amused by people who say

"There's a reason..... "

withthout providing the actual reason. 

Fair critique. 

One of the reasons is that they do not trust them. 

3 hours ago, KevinCorr said:

Phrae is not “the Sticks”. It is a nice little city with lots of teak and wood workers.

Yes indeed. When I lived in Phayao, I used to drive to Phrae to buy good quality, and reasonably priced, furniture

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correct. and the daughters of educated families are much less likely to working in bars. "Stating the obvious award" for me!????

2 minutes ago, Benroon said:

and yet thousands and thousands do and as of today remain unmurdered - how lucky is that ! ????

...lucky, but many will become poor, when they weren't before. How unlucky is that.

An old friend from Scotland hanged himself in Khon Kaen many years ago after many years of marriage. I think mainly because there was no money left.

22 minutes ago, Benroon said:

How many ? give us the figures please - how many westerners end up poor when the western divorce courts have finished with them ? (my dear friend Britmantoo might attest to that and he didn't do anything wrong!!)

So your solitary friend topped himself (very sad) and that extrapolates to the other 300,000 here how ?

Stop talking nonsense - like the old saying goes 'A Fool and his Money are soon parted' - that applies to the fools whatever country they are living in. 

In Western countries there's a safety net of social welfare. Another friend basically spent 2 million Baht buying his wife a condo, he now has no money. Another's still working at 75, similar situation.

There are lots of great Thai wives out there, I recently popped in to see an old Brit mate in the UK who's been married to the same Thai lady for 30 years, no problems.

There are no figures, just that in Thailand men are more likely to get permanently separated from their money (nominees and all that stuff).

I left Thailand last year after 20 years of living there. I left with about $100k in tact, from a condo I bought in my own name.

I was talking to a guy in the UK a few months ago who was moving to Thailand the next day, his Thai girlfriend of 7 years had convinced him that it's not possible for a farang to buy a condo in their own name, who am I to tell him otherwise?! Currently being separated from his life's savings.

For the last 6 years of my time there I never went with anybody, or was in a relationship, basically no longer pussy-whipped, and couldn't be bothered. By the way, it never worked out, but my last Thai gf came from a very wealthy family, met her on internet dating. A beautiful lady, but no instant gratification.

my friend had a farm, married and a son in chang rai, on his last visit about 5 years ago he was met by his wifes two brothers, the conversation went like this, if you do not leave now, you will be buried on this farm, and being out in the sticks as you say, the cops or no one would care one iota.

I wouldnt use the term "lucky" I think its more the norm to have a decent relatianship with both the wife and her family and locals come to that, out here in the sticks.

Its the "unlucky" ones that unfortunately we hear the most about because thats "news", if it was the norm it wouldnt be "news" would it.

I do know that for me, If it were to happen, I would rather be shot in the back of the head here, than knifed to death on the street in the UK (which appears on the rise there).

Archived