Three men sentenced to death for murdering British expat and wife in northern Thailand

rooster59

8 hours ago, KevinCorr said:

Phrae is not “the Sticks”. It is a nice little city with lots of teak and wood workers.

very silly quote i live here

is not the sticks i can tell  

much to do many small teak factories make fantastic work anything u want to buy can get or wait 1 day 

is quiet but i think the few x pats living here like it 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're wrong, no person executed for murder has ever committed murder again.
True. Neither would they if they were incarcerated for life. The point being (as you well know) it is a fact that the death penalty does not deter murder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, z42 said:

Can't fault the justice system on this one. Swift, harsh justice for all concerned in this dreadful crime.

Hopefully it'll deter other cash hungry relatives in Thailand from trying any such acts to make a fast buck

Make no difference when money is concerned. 

10 hours ago, rooster59 said:

A fourth man, Seema Udpamoon, 60, who was a neighbour to the couple, was jailed for 25 years with his initial 50 year sentenced halved for co-operating with the investigation. 

So he'll be 85 when he gets out? I'm sure he's very grateful for that reduction ????.

9 hours ago, inThailand said:

Show me a Thai family that doesn't love money. 

Mine! I have been married to my Thai wife for 12 years her family has Never asked me for one bath.

When they help me move they all come and bring the cars to help me move everything,

I try to pay them but they refuse to take any money, 

not even for the gasoline.

And this is not people with a lot of money.

So don't say all Thais want money!  

8 hours ago, mercman24 said:

my friend had a farm, married and a son in chang rai, on his last visit about 5 years ago he was met by his wifes two brothers, the conversation went like this, if you do not leave now, you will be buried on this farm, and being out in the sticks as you say, the cops or no one would care one iota.

yeah ... I mean your correct but lets not take it out of context here ..... in melbourne australia, outside a pizza shop ... if i see no cash by next week your family may suffer.  So just because you know that situation doesn't mean anything ... happens all over the world. 

10 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

Never make yourself worth more dead than alive.........especially here. 

The above is the best advice on this thread.

Some Thais will do anything for money. What kind of mentality does it take to murder your own sister?

Never have I been in a country where I have come close to retaliation with murder myself, until I came here. Thais are weird, just when you are about ready to kill one of em, another shows up and does something kind and helps you for nothing!

On 6/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, z42 said:

Can't fault the justice system on this one. Swift, harsh justice for all concerned in this dreadful crime.

Hopefully it'll deter other cash hungry relatives in Thailand from trying any such acts to make a fast buck

this will be the last you will hear about it and they will get a pardon in 5 or 10 years, they will never be executed.

13 hours ago, hellstens said:

Mine! I have been married to my Thai wife for 12 years her family has Never asked me for one bath.

When they help me move they all come and bring the cars to help me move everything,

I try to pay them but they refuse to take any money, 

not even for the gasoline.

And this is not people with a lot of money.

So don't say all Thais want money!  

maybe there playing the longer game. its always alright until its not. then its too late. only putting another point to your argument. ????

21 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Very sad,they looked like a good couple
Fortunately all my family are 100 percent trustworthy

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

that couple thought the same .........look were they ended up 

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

True. Neither would they if they were incarcerated for life. The point being (as you well know) it is a fact that the death penalty does not deter murder.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In the British newspapers yesterday a guy sucker punched a father and killed him now out on the streets ,caught on film doing the same to another guy ,just got 4 years ,will be out in two , the death sentence would have detered that bit of scum .

In the British newspapers yesterday a guy sucker punched a father and killed him now out on the streets ,caught on film doing the same to another guy ,just got 4 years ,will be out in two , the death sentence would have detered that bit of scum .
I doubt the death penalty is ever applied to manslaughter.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/1/2019 at 5:21 AM, Benroon said:

How many ? give us the figures please - how many westerners end up poor when the western divorce courts have finished with them ? (my dear friend Britmantoo might attest to that and he didn't do anything wrong!!)

So your solitary friend topped himself (very sad) and that extrapolates to the other 300,000 here how ?

Stop talking nonsense - like the old saying goes 'A Fool and his Money are soon parted' - that applies to the fools whatever country they are living in. 

You make some good points, but as I said before, the problem with living in Thailand is that unlike in our home countries, there's no welfare or healthcare for when we fall on hard times. Another thing being, how many of us when we're in our home countries in our 50's or 60's get to marry a beautiful lady in her 20's or 30's, and suffer "acute-pussy-whipped syndrome????????"????? (and end up also subsidising her poverty-stricken extended family and buffalo!).

My old mate in the UK (still married after 30 years to a Thai lady) thinks the bigger the age difference, the lesser the chance of success.

I think the scenario described here has happened very many times, and blokes have at least escaped with their lives, this guy (RIP) was one of the unluckiest.

"and that extrapolates to the other 300,000 here how" Both myself and probably half of my friends (maybe 7 or 8 guys) in Bangkok have never been married and it's a very long time since they've been in relationships, that kinda adds a lot of people, if extrapolated.

I don't think anyone keeps figures, but I strongly believe that marriages to Thai ladies are much more likely to have undesirable long-term outcomes than marriages within our own culture. Someone else commented the same about the Philippines.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 8:23 PM, z42 said:

Not likely. People like that by their nature do not think about consequences, or simply believe they will not be caught. They are morons with twisted minds. A 2009 survey of the most leading criminologists in the country (US) from found that the overwhelming majority did not believe that the death penalty is a proven deterrent to homicide.  Eighty-eight percent of the country’s top criminologists do not believe the death penalty acts as a deterrent to homicide, according to a new study published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology and authored by Professor Michael Radelet, Chair of the Department of Sociology at the University of Colorado-Boulder, and Traci Lacock, also at Boulder.  

Archived