DMS: E-Cigarettes give users same nicotine level as conventional cigarettes

rooster59

DMS: E-Cigarettes give users same nicotine level as conventional cigarettes

Tarin Angskul

cb532ad396a2cf1f70cc36cf701d103f.jpg

BANGKOK, 31 May 2019 (NNT) - The Department of Medical Sciences Director General, Opas Karnkawinpong has revealed that e-cigarettes are currently prohibited from being imported or exported into or from Thailand according to the Ministry of Commerce’s announcement, however illegal sale of these products still takes place in Thailand, especially among teenagers who have been misinformed that e-cigarette vaping does not give them nicotine.

He said e-cigarettes not only involve users inhaling nicotine as in conventional cigarettes, but also include carcinogens, substances used for vaporization, as well as heavy metals and other toxins.

Regional Medical Sciences Center 6 Chonburi has tested samples from 51 e-cigarettes liquids confiscated by police stations in Chonburi from 2016 to 2018, which resulted in all samples containing nicotine despite some packaging claiming to be nicotine-free. The manufacturing of e-cigarettes liquids which is not regulated by law may give users too great a dosage of nicotine, leading to addiction among young new users, which can lead to a smoking addiction and the use of illegal drugs.

nnt_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright nnt 2019-06-01

Can someone please tell this experts that nicotine is not the problem . All the other 100 or so chemicals found in ciggs is the problem .

no one claimed vaping did not have nicotine, some juices are nicotine free but most are not.as once again nicotine is not the problem or as harmful as all the chemicals 

It's the user who controls the level of nicotine, not the liquid producer. If you're buying liquid that contains nicotine, then it's very easy to reduce the level by adding distilled water (not tap water) - this is what I did when quitting smoking. Rather than using fear tactics, Mr Opas needs to rethink his strategy (presuming people are still going to break the law).

12 minutes ago, Dexlowe said:

It's the user who controls the level of nicotine, not the liquid producer. If you're buying liquid that contains nicotine, then it's very easy to reduce the level by adding distilled water (not tap water) - this is what I did when quitting smoking. Rather than using fear tactics, Mr Opas needs to rethink his strategy (presuming people are still going to break the law).

Nah, he just thinks people are too stupid to understand , so spouting nonsense will work????

Again and again ! The nicotine is not the main problem ! (Except if you want to quit real cig...)

You can choose a juice nicotine free, there are lot of them !

The problem  as already  mentionned by BestB is the 100s of others chemical into these things.

What a revelation.  Hey, look at what we discovered.  Nicotine vaping juice contains........ nicotine!   Good job, guys.  What's next?  Pork chops contain pork?  :blink:

Late last year, the Tax/Revenue people said in the media they were (finally) putting E-cigs on the import tax schedule, thus making it not-illegal.  And now another step backwards, I suspect urged by the anti-smoking Facebook zealots who got this whole stupid thing going in the first place.  Appears they have the ear of someone(s) in the Junta, so cowing the ignorant or indifferent masses with this kind of nonsense reporting, is nothing new.

That said, I do agree with the comment about the lack of consistent information on vaping liquid here - "most" of the ones I peruse at the market are from Malaysia.  While they do show the mix of PG/VG, (Propylene Glycol and Vegetable Glycerol), the Nicotine level isn't always precise - "Low" instead of a decimal percentage, or it's not indicated on the label at all.  And that IS a problem. 

The few I've seen from the USA are more expensive but also clearly marked.  Because they are produced and sold in a country which taxes and regulates them properly, like other products.  And that's the rub here.

Thailand Govt apes the propaganda line from the anti-smoking zealots and then does nothing to remedy the issue.  The remedy is to tax and regulate it, like they do cigarettes, which is what Government is supposed to do.  But they don't.  And then complain because the product isn't regulated (and taxed) properly.  ????

My goodness, how ignorant this man is!

But then again. maybe Mr. Opas is just announcing what he's been advised to say by the powers-that-be, those who want to ensure that the Tobacco Authority of Thailand (TAOT, yes, that's what it's called nowadays) can continue flogging their conventional cigarettes while at the same time not losing face that they've never got around to developing their own e-device.

Besides that, Mr. Opas has of course also an obligation to toe the line of the Ministry of Public Health, extolling the allegedly infernal nature of nicotine and how people must be protected from that devilish substance. However, as another poster has already noted (and correctly so), it is NOT nicotine that causes cancers, COPD and what not. But it is all these hundreds of other substances either contained in tobacco or being created once tobacco is combusted that are the actual problem.

While e-liquids are certainly not 100% harmless, they are indeed way better than conventional tobacco, exposing the user to far fewer risks. 

45 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

People are dying because of other peoples ignorance and corruption.

That's really all one needs to say about the situation here.

Not sure where you from but I’m Oz some 20 or so years ago, they were pushing nicotine patches and gum. Advertising campaign was just think how much money you save if you stopped smoking.

patches and gum were more expansive than cigs, got to love the irony.

You would think all these experts understood it is not nicotine or even the chemicals that keep people addicted but also the habit, 

kicking habit is is the hardest thing . 

Vaping is perfect solution for that, feeds the habit but removes all

the harmful chemicals.

vapers can go through a long flight no problems, smokes shake and sweat and first thing they do is run for a smoke the moment plane lands so clearly it’s not nicotine that is causing problems ????

I am from germany and everything there is legal regarding vaping, government advertises vaping as an healthier alternative, same as the UK government and many others that aren't  stuck in the medieval past. Some bullshit rules tho that you have to add the nicotine shots yourself in the liquid but meh - EU gov always comes up with nonsense like that.

Tried the patches before, i got horrible skin rashes and they hurt when applied - complete garbage.

And yeah it's definately the habit for me, i don't really notice if i vape 0/3/6 mg juice, but i need something in my hands like a vape as i am so used to it after 10 years of smoking cigs.

It's basically muscle memory at this point, it's not that i wake up at night and need to get a nicotine dose, but when i make my first coffee in the morning and sit on the balcony then vaping/smoking is just part of the ritual. And no i am not going to stop doing that because some farts decide i shouldn't.

e-cigs got me off of regular cigarettes after 49 years. Nicotine level high to begin and then medium and then low and then none and then quit e-cigs too. Haven't smoked in 7 years now.

conventional gigarette problem have all 2000 other poisons and chemicals, not newer nicotine. and vape can select itself how lot you use nicotine, normal 24ml/box or 1-6ml/box level.vape have chcking many university laporatory have lto healty and better than conventional gigarette. vape not have gigarette anythink because no have smoke,2000 other chemical,and poisons. vaping need be free ewery country, and have all europe country can use free. only thailand have all stupid law. because coverment have only rich stupid people who not totally know anythink real life, ministers live own bubble and dont know anythink true life. anmd how much peoples have hard

Of course they contain nicotine: that's the whole point.  What they don't contain are the same levels of dangerous chemicals as cigarettes. It appears to be a win win situation that Thai authorities have turned in to lose lose.

Certainly Public Health England is convinced e-cigarettes are 95% safer than conventional cigarettes (when properly regulated).

If ecigarettes confiscated in Thailand contain dangerous levels of either nicotine or toxins- something I doubt- then that has been caused by banning them in the first place, so that unscrupulous black marketeers don't have to work to safe standards.

32 minutes ago, finnishmen said:

conventional gigarette problem have all 2000 other poisons and chemicals, not newer nicotine. and vape can select itself how lot you use nicotine, normal 24ml/box or 1-6ml/box level.vape have chcking many university laporatory have lto healty and better than conventional gigarette. vape not have gigarette anythink because no have smoke,2000 other chemical,and poisons. vaping need be free ewery country, and have all europe country can use free. only thailand have all stupid law. because coverment have only rich stupid people who not totally know anythink real life, ministers live own bubble and dont know anythink true life. anmd how much peoples have hard

Thailand is NOT the only country where it’s illegal but Thailand IS the only country with has such harsh punishment.

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said e-cigarettes not only involve users inhaling nicotine as in conventional cigarettes, but also include carcinogens, substances used for vaporization, as well as heavy metals and other toxins.

But regular cigarettes sold by the legal monopolies are perfectly fine and dandy.  
Does this so-called Director General even understand the word, "Hypocrite?" 

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The manufacturing of e-cigarettes liquids which is not regulated by law may give users too great a dosage of nicotine, leading to addiction among young new users, which can lead to a smoking addiction and the use of illegal drugs.

So e-cigarette liquids lead to 'use of illegal drugs' because of the nicotine.  Where do these moron come from?  The exact rationale should make them ban cigarettes entirely.  But they don't.  So they are lying or are hypocrites.  Or both.

9 minutes ago, connda said:

But regular cigarettes sold by the legal monopolies are perfectly fine and dandy.  
Does this so-called Director General even understand the word, "Hypocrite?" 

No, why should he? The legal cigs pay his wages????????????

19 hours ago, upena said:

e-cigs got me off of regular cigarettes after 49 years. Nicotine level high to begin and then medium and then low and then none and then quit e-cigs too. Haven't smoked in 7 years now.

Coincidentally I smoked for 49 years (since school) and have now been vaping for over three years and only had a few cigarettes (in Thailand where e-cigs are illegal) in all that time.  I have to buy my e-juice from over-seas because it's not available with nicotine in oz. US and UK studies all give e-cigs the thumbs up and say it's 95% safer than smoking tobacco.

End of rant.

7 minutes ago, Danny Crane said:

Coincidentally I smoked for 49 years (since school) and have now been vaping for over three years and only had a few cigarettes (in Thailand where e-cigs are illegal) in all that time.  I have to buy my e-juice from over-seas because it's not available with nicotine in oz. US and UK studies all give e-cigs the thumbs up and say it's 95% safer than smoking tobacco.

End of rant.

Off topic, I am heading to Sydney next week and I am a vaper, how much is ejuice in Sydney? And where can it be bought ?

just want to know to see if I should bring my own or buy there 

On 6/1/2019 at 8:44 AM, rooster59 said:

The Department of Medical Sciences Director General, Opas Karnkawinpong

Once again a clear demonstration of a brainless fool who has had his way paid for and has bought his positions up the ladder. This country is run by complete and utter imbeciles who completely ignore or have no idea of the facts and or reality.

South Australia (don't know about the rest of Aus) you can only buy nicotine free juice. People who want to ADD nicotine buy it online from New Zealand. So saying that nicotine is a problem with vaping is ignoring the fact that nicotine free juice is available. This being said this fool's arguement becomes immediately redundant. 

25 minutes ago, BestB said:

Off topic, I am heading to Sydney next week and I am a vaper, how much is ejuice in Sydney? And where can it be bought ?

just want to know to see if I should bring my own or buy there 

Not really off topic.  Anyway, you can't buy ejuice in Australia that contains nicotine, so you best bring your supply with you. If you're coming to live then you'll need to buy off the net but not in large quantities.

I live in Sydney and get my nicotine salt liquid from Vapoureyes New Zealand.

Order my juices off the net, next day delivery usually.

Love Naked Mango and Killer Custard. Also Heisenberg which has a bit of menthol.

I usually only buy US made juice as I understand they are under FDA control.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:49 AM, BestB said:

Can someone please tell this experts that nicotine is not the problem . All the other 100 or so chemicals found in ciggs is the problem .

no one claimed vaping did not have nicotine, some juices are nicotine free but most are not.as once again nicotine is not the problem or as harmful as all the chemicals 

Thank you for sharing, I am an expert.

cigarettes: shooting oneself with a dirty lead bullet.

nicotine:  shooting oneself with a clean silver bullet.

nicotine is the agent that constricts blood vessels, raises blood pressure and puts pressure on the cardiovascular system. When young, not a big problem but a heavy habit in old age could lead to lots of problems.

tar is the toxic mix of crap, much of which has carcinogenic properties. Not good.

nicotine is also a stimulant for the brain and raises the heart rate, also has great calming effect when things go south (great for smokers). It's also highly addictive (great for corporations).

'rabas': 'I am an expert'! Oh, yes, great then, before going any further explaining/'teaching' us, can you, please, let us know what does make you an expert, like degrees, defended thesis, published works, official functions, your mom telling you you're the best, everything giving you credentials, please. Not 'attacking' you at all, mind you, just asking about your credentials. Thank you. P.S.: do please leave institutions as the State University of Kentucky, f.i., out of it, we had a lady whose brother made a PM of who got a Dr. degree there, while she could not possibly defend a thesis not being fluent in english... B.S. is from everywhere, more so from where 'the people' have to feed on it...

12 hours ago, Danny Crane said:

Not really off topic.  Anyway, you can't buy ejuice in Australia that contains nicotine, so you best bring your supply with you. If you're coming to live then you'll need to buy off the net but not in large quantities.

I am actually after the no nicotine ????

11 hours ago, rabas said:

Thank you for sharing, I am an expert.

cigarettes: shooting oneself with a dirty lead bullet.

nicotine:  shooting oneself with a clean silver bullet.

nicotine is the agent that constricts blood vessels, raises blood pressure and puts pressure on the cardiovascular system. When young, not a big problem but a heavy habit in old age could lead to lots of problems.

tar is the toxic mix of crap, much of which has carcinogenic properties. Not good.

nicotine is also a stimulant for the brain and raises the heart rate, also has great calming effect when things go south (great for smokers). It's also highly addictive (great for corporations).

I have no doubt you are an expert as there is no shortage of experts on Thai visa.

Could you share your expert opinion how UK researchers found vaping to be 95% less harmful than smoking ?

Surely something as harmful as you explained in your expert post would be little more harmful than just 5%.

i would have thought researched then would have said perhaps 25% less or 50% less harmful 

What is your expert opinion on their findings and mistakes ?

Archived