Swift justice! Thai man gets eight years for rape of Norwegian tourist on Koh Phangan

rooster59

Swift justice! Thai man gets eight years for rape of Norwegian tourist on Koh Phangan

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTU1Ny83Nzg4NTMwL25ld3Byb2plY3QoNjMpLmpwZw==.jpg

Caption: Going straight to jail

The Thai man known in the local media as "Ai Moss" has been handed an eight year sentence for the rape of a 26 year old Norwegian woman on Koh Phangan in Thailand's south. 

The rape occurred after the Half Moon Party on the holiday island on May 12th. 

Rewat, 34, from Nakorn Sri Thammarat initially pretended to be a Good Samaritan and help find the tourist's lost bag.

She got on his motorcycle but instead of helping her he took her to a quiet area and raped her.

He was soon captured using CCTV evidence and the victim identified him. He admitted his involvement after he was rounded up at a motorcycle repair shop, reported Sanook. 

The Koh Samui court yesterday sentenced Rewat or "Moss" to 12 years adding four more under section 92 for a total of 16 years. 

This was cut in half and reduced to 8 years because the suspect admitted what he had done. 

He was pictured being taken straight to jail to begin his eight year term.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-01

Despicable. 8 years off because he confessed, in spite of all the evidence pointing to guilt otherwise.

Illegal loggers get 30 years reduced to 15, i see a huge injustice here.. She should serve the full 16

The sentence seems extremely low so for such a heinous crime yet it fits the average penalty for the same crime in the UK...  which is 8 years. 

So not much to complain about regarding the Thai sentencing, but plenty to complain about regarding the penalties for this despicable crime world wide. 

https://fullfact.org/news/five-years-average-prison-sentence-rape/

Highly unusual for someone to be brought to court and sentenced this quickly. Normally the prosecutor doesn't lay the indictment for 84 days. The sentence however is paltry given the crime, especially when you consider that with amnesties, he will probably only serve around 4-5 years. Life would have been a more fitting sentence, which would have had the added bonus of making other would be rapists think twice.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Highly unusual for someone to be brought to court and sentenced this quickly. Normally the prosecutor doesn't lay the indictment for 84 days. The sentence however is paltry given the crime, especially when you consider that with amnesties, he will probably only serve around 4-5 years. Life would have been a more fitting sentence, which would have had the added bonus of making other would be rapists think twice.

What has happened to the 2 Burmese men who were accused of rape and murder of English girl on island maybe 2 years ago?

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Sadly from experience I doubt he will serve more than two years. 

I know of a Brit in Samui prison serving 4 years for a minor offence yet this guy who was only released from prison a month before he raped this poor girl only gets 8 years . It was my understanding that the Brit had the 4 year sentence due to him coughing up £10,000 otherwise it would of been double .

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

This was cut in half and reduced to 8 years because the suspect admitted what he had done. 

Time to stop this lunacy... they know he did it so why cut the sentence just because he couldn't deny it?

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

where's all the stupid 500bt and wai comments?

Glad you said that I am sick to the back teeth of those comments as well, boringly predictable.  They go hand in hand with comments like ' he will need to sleep with his back to the wall in jail ' or he will be ' somebody's bitch '

Some on here watch far too much American TV.

2 hours ago, Nip said:

Sadly from experience I doubt he will serve more than two years. 

Actually depends on the number of amnesties given, his class of prisoner status, previous convictions and what for. If he has served time for a similar offense, he will not be entitled to amnesties.

7 hours ago, legend49 said:

What has happened to the 2 Burmese men who were accused of rape and murder of English girl on island maybe 2 years ago?

I believe they are still on death row.  The frame-up is complete, even Big Joke gave it his OK. 

Archived