บรรดา......meaning And Usage ?

taxexile

i've been hearing this word ( บรรดา ) a lot lately, especially on the radio,( news and current affairs programmes )

and i cant figure out the meaning. i rarely hear it in conversation.

its used as "ในบรรดา".

the dictionary translates it as "in general" or "among" and

gives its synonyms as " ทั้งหลาย " or " ทั่วไป ", but this doesn't always fit in with what

i'm hearing in the rest of the sentence, it may well be( more than likely) that i am

misunderstanding the rest of the sentence. i have asked a few thais who

speak "good english" and they say it means " everything".

can anyone translate this word for me and tell me how it is used.?

i've been hearing this word  ( บรรดา ) a lot lately, especially on the radio,( news and current affairs programmes )

its used as "ในบรรดา".

the dictionary translates it as "in general" or "among" and

gives its synonyms as    " ทั้งหลาย "  or  " ทั่วไป ", but this doesn't always fit in with what

i'm hearing in the rest of the sentence, it may well be( more than likely) that i am

misunderstanding the rest of the sentence. i have asked a few thais who

speak  "good english" and they say it means " everything".

can anyone translate this word for me and tell me how it is used.?

Yes, my g/f says it means "everything" or "of them". She tried to give an example of its use: if someone has a lot of cats and has many different types you would say the different types and then "ในบรรดา", as if the one breed you were talking about was just one "of them". :o

Says nobody uses it now and then got annoyed with herself because her English is not good enough, so I didn't press her any more! :D

Maybe it means something like "in the whole". (Or "in the round" ?? - which I think is a recent catchphrase that some politicians like to say these days).

i've been hearing this word ( บรรดา ) a lot lately, especially on the radio,( news and current affairs programmes )

My trusty dog-eared Haas dictionary gives the following definition: "N. elegant, all, all of, the totality of.

Often encountered in writing and formal speech such as official announcements when talking about large identifiable groups such as "all teachers" or "all students." Like most words indentified as "elegant" Thai, it is rarely heard in informal speech. But then with my life in Thailand I am taken aback when I hear people say "thaan ahaan" instead of "kin khao."

i've been hearing this word  ( บรรดา ) a lot lately, especially on the radio,( news and current affairs programmes )

My trusty dog-eared Haas dictionary gives the following definition: "N. elegant, all, all of, the totality of.

Often encountered in writing and formal speech such as official announcements when talking about large identifiable groups such as "all teachers" or "all students." Like most words indentified as "elegant" Thai, it is rarely heard in informal speech. But then with my life in Thailand I am taken aback when I hear people say "thaan ahaan" instead of "kin khao."

I think this definition is quite good.It's used as a noun!

The meaning is like,"of all in a group","in the whole of","in the totality of", etc.

Similar words and synonyms are,ทั้งหลาย, ทั้งปวง, ทั้งสิ้น, ทั้งหมด,and a few others.

It could be used as in this example! :o

จังหวัดกรุงเทพมหานครมีพลเมืองมากที่สุดเป็นอันดับที่หนึ่งในบรรดาจังหวัดของประเทศไทยทั้งหลาย=

Greater Bankok has the largest population of all the "changwats" in all of Thailand.

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

I think this definition is quite good.It's used as a noun!

The meaning is like,"of all in a group","in the whole of","in the totality of", etc.

Similar words and synonyms are,ทั้งหลาย, ทั้งปวง, ทั้งสิ้น, ทั้งหมด,and a few others.

It could be used as in this example! :o

จังหวัดกรุงเทพมหานครมีพลเมืองมากที่สุดเป็นอันดับที่หนึ่งในบรรดาจังหวัดของประเทศไทยทั้งหลาย=

Greater Bankok has the largest population of all the "changwats" in all of Thailand.

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard.

Oh, dear. It was all crystal clear a few hours ago - asked the girls in the bar and they gave me a good example which I should've written down, but didn't. Now maow leaw and cannot remember what they said :D Snow's example is very close to what they said - like "one of a group". And one girl did say it was a "new" saying, like it was a catchphrase that has become popular recently.

:-) Words like these is what makes Thai newspapers and news broadcasts so hard to follow.. ;-) Words you absolutely NEVER hear in conversational Thai and not in all but the most formal of letters..

For some reason newspapers get all fluffy & formal with language, like you;d be able to say in 5 words of conversational Thai what takes a whole paragraph in a newspaper! :o

:-) Words like these is what makes Thai newspapers and news broadcasts so hard to follow.. ;-)  Words you absolutely NEVER hear in conversational Thai and not in all but the most formal of letters..

True. These words are much easier to understand by people who have studied Sanskrit, as they're usually Sanskrit/Pali-derived. It's similar to Latin in a way: if you have studied Latin, then it'll be much easier for you instantly recognize words in Roman languages, and often even in English (if you're not a native English speaker anyway). Countless English words are derived from Latin.

In formal Thai, noone would use, for example, a word like "maa" for dog, which is a Tai-derived word; the word of choice would be "sunak", from Skt. "shunaka". It just sounds more "learned" and "class". Similarly, you would rarely hear the word "phuying" (woman) in a news broadcast, rather its Skt.-based equivalents "satri", "nari" or "vanida".

(Interesting aside: "Vanida", from Skt. "vanita", is related to Latin "vanitas", which became Engl. vanity. So here's the proof that women and vanity are intrinsically linked!)