17 injured when bus plunges off mountain road in Phrae

rooster59

17 injured when bus plunges off mountain road in Phrae

By The Nation

640_aagbdaaaiacfca7bag5bf.jpg

Seventeen passengers were injured when a Chiang Mai to Phrae bus crashed off a mountain road in Phrae’s Long district on Friday night.

The accident happened at 8.30pm on the Den Chai-Lampang road in Moo 5 village in Tambon Bor Leng Long.

Rescuers struggled to rescue the injured passengers from the bus that had fallen about 20 metres down the steep mountainside.

The passengers who were slightly injured were sent to the district hospital. Four who were seriously injured were sent to the provincial hospital and another to the Phrae Christian Hospital.

The bus driver, Suriyon Saenchan, 42, told police that it was raining and a pickup truck suddenly changed lane to block his bus. He said he had to swerve to avoid crashing into the truck and lost control of the bus.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370372

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-01

The bus driver, Suriyon Saenchan, 42, told police that it was raining and a pickup truck suddenly changed lane to block his bus. He said he had to swerve to avoid crashing into the truck and lost control of the bus.

No comment!

The rule when driving heavy vehicles is to not swerve.  If some idiot changes lanes dangerously in front of you, keep your vehicle straight.  If you take him out so be it.  Look at the situation that’s developed now.  In a effort to save one idiot you now have several innocent people injured. Normally some deaths involved too and a expensive vehicle probably written off.  The company is severely inconvenienced due to being a vehicle down, and the idiot that caused it drives on Scott free. 

29 minutes ago, RotBenz8888 said:

A real one or just in his dream?

Like a pickup that ended up in a ditch outside my house. Someone crossed the road in front of him, he said. Okay, but this was a country road after 10 at night where people rarely walk even in the day. But then, to accept responsibility and admit he had fallen asleep isn't the Thai way, is it.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

That´s fantastic. Feels safe to know that the bus drivers tries to save the idiot that drives over in the wrong lane, instead of prioritise his own passengers.

Exactly, better to brake & hit the pick-up and stay on the road.... than swerve and crash off the road into a ravine!

1 hour ago, Adventra20 said:

The rule when driving heavy vehicles is to not swerve.  If some idiot changes lanes dangerously in front of you, keep your vehicle straight.  If you take him out so be it.  Look at the situation that’s developed now.  In a effort to save one idiot you now have several innocent people injured. Normally some deaths involved too and a expensive vehicle probably written off.  The company is severely inconvenienced due to being a vehicle down, and the idiot that caused it drives on Scott free. 

I’ve been driving heavy vehicles for over 40 years.  I’m retired now, but the last 6 years was spent driving 4 trailer road trains in Western Australia hauling iron ore.  The whole rig weighed in at over 170 tonnes, so I feel I’m qualified to comment on those situation.  Our company trained its driver NOT to swerve to miss animals or other vehicles on the road.  The result of our 4 trailer unit loaded plunging off the road is catastrophic. Attached is a pic of my truck. 

DA1541B5-87D0-4C2A-8BA9-F8DE1872A562.jpeg

Archived