BANGKOK 18 August 2019 11:18
brewsterbudgen

Fingerprints - what are they checked against?

Now that biometrics and specifically fingerprints are being checked at Suvarnabhumi, does anyone know what they are checked against, if anything?

1. As this is new, are they just being recorded by Immigration for the first time, to build their database?

2. Are they checked against a global (maybe INTERPOL) database to look for international criminals?

3. Are they checked against the Thai Police's database of fingerprints, to look for anyone who has committed a crime in Thailand?

4. Is it completely separate from any criminal database and purely an Immigration check?

5. Have people banned from Thailand been fingerprinted, so the check will discover anyone travelling on a new/fake passport?

(Moderator: Please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong Forum.)

• Like 1

Most likely all that you had listed.

• Like 1

I suspect it is 1 & 4.

If they have some reason to suspect the person entering (or exiting) is not the passport holder, they can refer to previous entries and exits. I don't think this would be an automatic check, they would need to look it up in the same way they can look up facial photos of previous entries and exits.

• Like 1

With the correct IT search, could be identified within a very short period of time within their data base

Linking the RTP database and other databases could be done, reasonably easily

• Like 1

Link to other countries databases could be problematic though

• Like 1

They cannot check mine in any data base because in my 71 years of life, i have NEVER had my fingerprints taken.

Got a new passport last year, no dabs on the chip. Went out & back in to Thailand a couple of times, no dabs.

I do not think they can get any optical or facial details from the photo on my passport as the resolution is not good enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

They cannot check mine in any data base because in my 71 years of life, i have NEVER had my fingerprints taken.

Got a new passport last year, no dabs on the chip. Went out & back in to Thailand a couple of times, no dabs.

I do not think they can get any optical or facial details from the photo on my passport as the resolution is not good enough.

They will have you on record from the first imprint to check against second time through, first time is building the content of the database

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

But that was their first success story.

Some guy where the passport photo didn't match biometrics of the face.

Traditional biometrics might trigger alarm even based only on some simple geometrics (position/distance of eyes, nose, mouth, chin).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

So, if someone committed an offence in Thailand 10 years ago (for example, working without a work permit), and was fingerprinted at the time by the Thai police and subsequently deported, would that show up from the fingerprint check carried out at the airport?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for the replies.

So, if someone committed an offence in Thailand 10 years ago (for example, working without a work permit), and was fingerprinted at the time by the Thai police and subsequently deported, would that show up from the fingerprint check carried out at the airport?

Unlikely at this stage, unless the databases are linked.

Building the content of the Immigration database would be essential before migrating in other databases, I would imagine 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Many countries have introduced mandatory biometric passports.

For those fingerprinting is done and saved on the chip that is embedded in

the passport.

So quite certain this check against the passport is included.

Entering the US for a foreigner without a biometric passport requires a visa independent of other visa rules.

My fingerprints were taken at the consulate on last passport renewal and it doesn't give you dirty fingers. Just putting finger(s) on some sensorplate.

My smartphone has also taken my thumb print :biggrin:

As I said previously, I have NEVER had my prints taken, so they cannot check with any on the chip.

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

As I said previously, I have NEVER had my prints taken, so they cannot check with any on the chip.

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But once you go through immigration you will be on their database, and compared on re-entry

• Like 2