New Honda Wave a SLUG!

11 hours ago, Agusts said:

Racing here is not a good idea, but Thais love it, even in their cars. When I was on my 125cc bike, I was never provoked, but now on my Forza I get pissed off sometimes too easily, unfortunately....

The other day the guy was coming  behind me right to one meter of my bike with his car , we were at 80km/h, basically wanted to push me off the road, so I lost it and max the throttle and watch him in my mirror disappear behind me while I was going 130km/h, this kind of reactionary riding or driving is very bad, but it comes with having a more powerful bike, sometime he can do the same,  then wil be very dangerous racing, I know I need to be more patient and careful....

Rebel

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Agusts said:

Racing here is not a good idea, but Thais love it, even in their cars. When I was on my 125cc bike, I was never provoked, but now on my Forza I get pissed off sometimes too easily, unfortunately....

The other day the guy was coming  behind me right to one meter of my bike with his car , we were at 80km/h, basically wanted to push me off the road, so I lost it and max the throttle and watch him in my mirror disappear behind me while I was going 130km/h, this kind of reactionary riding or driving is very bad, but it comes with having a more powerful bike, sometime he can do the same,  then wil be very dangerous racing, I know I need to be more patient and careful....

I would've slowed down and let him pass. Never worth risking throwing your life away or serious injury and huge med bills over (potentially). Let the a-hole go !

i just recalled the abysmal performance of scooters in cambodia, those mechanics are obsessed with minimizing fuel consumption, to the point the engine stall and die as i try to drive.

tell a mechanic to increase fuel to engine and you're set. they can do it in a couple of minutes if they really want to, the catch is to make them want to, and intercept follow up mechanics as they predictably wishes to make it a dud again

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:07 AM, bamboozled said:

I think the two of you are saying the same thing!

With respect to you particular problem O/P, I think the two of them are talking similar nonsense!

I endorse exactly what @cornishcarlos said in his post above. Get it back to the dealer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally got the bike back to where I bought it. The former mechanic is no longer working there. Anyhow, I explained that it was slow, would hardly go up Doi Suthep with two people on it, and wouldn't do more than 100 k/h with one person on it. They said they'd take a look and we left it there for a few hours. Little to my surprise the verdict was that nothing is wrong or out of the ordinary. Of course, how do they go about their work? Since they don't have a compression gauge, how could they ever test the valves? I'm sure they turned the key, revved the engine, and that was about it. One young mechanic there told me I could modify the bike by changing the exhaust, that the stock exhaust is robbing a lot of power (for 1500 baht or so). They did seem to have tuned up the brakes a bit...

Driving it home alone, I really ran out the gears and it seems the power band is pretty high up on the revs. That doesn't explain my slow top speed (I don't think!) but does play into the really poor low end...such as taking off from a stop. So maybe changing that back gear to give me more grunt might be in order. But first....I'm going to find a rental and give it a whirl.

Anyone have any thoughts on changing the exhaust?

I

2 minutes ago, MatteoBassini said:

Simple answer is the 11 year old Dream barely had any catalytic converter.

The new Wave 125 is Euro 4.

Isn't that about what kind of fuel you use, Euro 4? So is there a catalytic converter somewhere incorporated into the new Wave exhaust? That would explain something. I just took it for another spin and it just doesn't move until you get the revs really up there. It's good in 2nd gear at 40 k/h. There's the power band. But from a standstill, just seems like it's lacking gas.... Can't I change the injectors or something?

Well I finally got the bike back to where I bought it. The former mechanic is no longer working there. Anyhow, I explained that it was slow, would hardly go up Doi Suthep with two people on it, and wouldn't do more than 100 k/h with one person on it. They said they'd take a look and we left it there for a few hours. Little to my surprise the verdict was that nothing is wrong or out of the ordinary. Of course, how do they go about their work? Since they don't have a compression gauge, how could they ever test the valves? I'm sure they turned the key, revved the engine, and that was about it. One young mechanic there told me I could modify the bike by changing the exhaust, that the stock exhaust is robbing a lot of power (for 1500 baht or so). They did seem to have tuned up the brakes a bit...

Driving it home alone, I really ran out the gears and it seems the power band is pretty high up on the revs. That doesn't explain my slow top speed (I don't think!) but does play into the really poor low end...such as taking off from a stop. So maybe changing that back gear to give me more grunt might be in order. But first....I'm going to find a rental and give it a whirl.
Anyone have any thoughts on changing the exhaust?

I think you can modify the gear clog to change the revs
I am no mechanic but a fella told me that once [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 6/18/2019 at 8:23 PM, bamboozled said:

I

Isn't that about what kind of fuel you use, Euro 4? So is there a catalytic converter somewhere incorporated into the new Wave exhaust? That would explain something. I just took it for another spin and it just doesn't move until you get the revs really up there. It's good in 2nd gear at 40 k/h. There's the power band. But from a standstill, just seems like it's lacking gas.... Can't I change the injectors or something?

I took a look at the Wave 125 exhaust and I don't think there's a catalytic converter.

My second guess now is it sounds like they toned down the fueling for lower revs so it meets Euro 4 emissions testing. This seems to be Honda's solution to the Euro 4 thing as well as increase fuel economy, at the cost of losing power at low revs.

Try tuning the ECU, the side effect of it would be higher fuel consumption and more CO2 coming out of the exhaust, but better power delivery.

Hi Matteo, I was thinking the other day how frustrating it is trying to talk to a mechanic here...due to my Thai skills. I can indeed speak a decent amount of Thai but not the kind, so it seems, to communicate well with a mechanic. I liken it to trying to pick a piece of flat paper off the floor with big ski mittens on. Would really like to express what I am experiencing and be able to back and forth with a caring mechanic. Oh well....frustrating.

I don't know, since getting the bike back from the mechanic on Monday, I have been riding it a lot harder, keeping the revs up, and it seems to be responding better. As mentioned, the power bank seems to be, for example, at 40km/h in second gear. But in the morning when I start the bike (only 2000 km on it), it shuts off as if it's cold out or an old bike. I have to start it again and baby the engine a bit until it is smooth. ...Doesn't seem right on a new bike in warm weather. And the low-end problem exists (and the high end not over 100 k/h, too). From a stop, the throttle just isn't responsive, there is a lag between my spinning the throttle and the engine responding. What I have been doing lately is getting the revs up slightly before I take off from a stop. That seems to help. I know one car mechanic who speaks good English and perhaps I can explain to him and he can relay the info to a bike mechanic. I would love to mess with the ECU but I don't want to do it without some kind of manual which I have yet to find. Probably need a computer for that which only Honda would have.

I think you'll need an aftermarket ECU the factory one is most likely not tunable at all...have they checked the valve clearances,air filter and oxygen sensor on the exhaust..if the oxygen sensor goes bad the ecu goes into a default over rich air fuel mixture...

I'm in Chiang Mai. I've had the bike "checked" but most mechanics don't even have a compression gauge so I'm sure their checks are always...turn the key, engine turns on, sounds ok, no problem.

Yes, this is exactly what I want them to do: "...have they checked the valve clearances,air filter and oxygen sensor on the exhaust..if the oxygen sensor goes bad the ecu goes into a default over rich air fuel mixture..."

But it's not easy to get them to do that. It's not easy to get them to even test drive your bike. They just don't want to take any requests from me or any instruction. Their way or the highway. It's tough out there!

14 hours ago, johng said:

I think you'll need an aftermarket ECU the factory one is most likely not tunable at all...have they checked the valve clearances,air filter and oxygen sensor on the exhaust..if the oxygen sensor goes bad the ecu goes into a default over rich air fuel mixture...

Where to get an aftermarket ECU?

• 2 weeks later...

If you still have the problem, i also have such a new Wave and am in Chiang Mai, so we could compare it if you want, in this case send me your Line id in a PM.

The acceleration always felt normal to me for a 125cc bike, no complaints about this, of course you need to rev it high enough to get some power.

To me it feels like the top speed sucks, but i've had a look at older video recordings which include GPS data, and saw that my feeling is wrong.

Using the GPS data it turs out that my first gen PCX 150 actually ran about 95km/h, which could be achieved within a reasonable distance, with a further two kilometers of acceleration this might crawl up to close to 100km/h, the tachometer showing about 112km/h at this point.

GPS data from the same camera show that my new Wave 125 reaches about 92km/h within a reasonable distance, and a top end speed, after quite some more time, of about 97km/h at which point the tachometer shows about 105km/h.

After the first few rides i was sure that the PCX was at least 10km/h faster than the Wave, and that the Wave feels slow. But looking at objective data it turns out it's actually just about 3km/h difference.

Back from my most recent ban from the Thai Visa Gestapo. :ninja:

Jeez,

10 pages and counting....

Christ O2 sensors and ECU changes - unbelievable.

Its a 125 Honda Wave fer Chrissakes!

The OP has already stated the thing will do 100 kph. That is ONE HUNDRED KILOMETRES PER HOUR.

Or 60 MILES PER HOUR (60mph) in real money.

The Op has already stated it struggles going up Doi Suthep 2 up.

The Op is prolly the weight of two (2) SE Asian people, so its already on its design gross weight limit.

Here's some new for ya - they all do that!

If you are not happy with an underbone EFI bike, sell it for an older carb model (like your 10 y/o Dream) which CAN be tuned, or just buy a bigger, proper motorcycle.

Jeez......

Have to agree with thaiguzzi.

Some here write top-speed of 112km/h, 105 or whatever, 555 and when a little 125cc can "only" go 100 they are considering all kinds of mods, I find that quite funny.

You have to measure via GPS to get accurate speed; speedometers are generally optimistic, so perhaps the old scooter was actually not faster but the speedo was very optimistic?

My old 1st gen pcx150 will go around 100km/h according to the speedometer and I am quite happy with that, don't care if its 95 or 90 true km/h, it's feels fast, and I would not feel comfortable going much faster than that on it, the limit for safe riding is reached. I have a big bike for going fast on, it that's what I want, safer, much safer, bike is designed for going fast.

Getting smoked all the time on Sukhumvit around Pattaya by Thais on all kind of heavily modified small 125cc local made models, that they are going so fast there in the first place is beyond me.

Yes get a bigger bike if you want to go faster, you can buy an old cbr250 for no money now, that one can properly go around 150 indicated.

Archived