New Honda Wave a SLUG!

I am very surprised that you think the Wave is a slug!  I have owned many Honda's in the past and they were all very peppy.  I lost interest in them because they are so lightweight.  I now have a Yamaha Tricity that is not lightweight at all and it only has 125cc.  It is no racer but cruises fine at 90 with 2 up.  Any faster I do not need.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not a super mechanic  but Sounds like fuel or injection problem. 

Take it to a local trustworthy motorbike repair shop ( the locals know the best ones) let him try it.

He will or should confirm all is not well !

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Strange, no-one here has ever told me I can't test-drive a car or bike. I drove several of both new before buying second-hand. That's what demonstrator vehicles are for. Perhaps you should consider changing your deodorant.

And trolling begins.  Do tell which shops have demonstration bikes ?

perhaps you should stop trolling before embarrassing yourself further 

The Dream did not have an "i" after it. It was just standard issue.

I bought the Wave brand new. I will try another mechanic I just wasn't sure if there was anything wrong or not. One would think being new that it was all sorted. It ain't easy trying to find a good mechanic and takes time. Lot's of people say their mechanic is great. In my experience, that has not been the case. They all have differing opinions on how to fix a problem and usually they can't fix it. But tell you it' is indeed fixed.

I may end up going with the Click if this one cannot be repaired to my liking. But as mentioned, we liked the manual because of the stance and handling of the bike and bigger wheels. But the Click is pretty nice, too.

I do not need to go 100 or faster. That was just a test I did as I knew what I had done in the Dream when it was new.

43 minutes ago, mlmcleod said:

I am very surprised that you think the Wave is a slug!  I have owned many Honda's in the past and they were all very peppy.  I lost interest in them because they are so lightweight.  I now have a Yamaha Tricity that is not lightweight at all and it only has 125cc.  It is no racer but cruises fine at 90 with 2 up.  Any faster I do not need.

I also have one and it’s a tank on 3 wheels . Weight and power most certainly not in ratio .

some say new models are lighter with more power , but original model is a tank????

...Looks like I have my work cut out for me this week! I've been away for the last two months and so I have not had a chance to deal with it. And the wife does not notice any lack of power. But now...look out Honda mechanics of Chiang Mai.

4 hours ago, bamboozled said:

The Dream did not have an "i" after it. It was just standard issue.

I bought the Wave brand new. I will try another mechanic I just wasn't sure if there was anything wrong or not. One would think being new that it was all sorted. It ain't easy trying to find a good mechanic and takes time. Lot's of people say their mechanic is great. In my experience, that has not been the case. They all have differing opinions on how to fix a problem and usually they can't fix it. But tell you it' is indeed fixed.

I may end up going with the Click if this one cannot be repaired to my liking. But as mentioned, we liked the manual because of the stance and handling of the bike and bigger wheels. But the Click is pretty nice, too.

I do not need to go 100 or faster. That was just a test I did as I knew what I had done in the Dream when it was new.

shouldn't worry to much about how fast it can go, the most important it's  safety, if you and your Mrs feel safe than all is well, good luck anyway

8 hours ago, BestB said:

No one ever gets to test ride a bike, even test driving a car could be problematic????

Royal Enfield Pattaya Tai, encourage teat drives and have various models to try...BMW and some Toyota dealers do....Mitiyon of course dont

Don't which both have the same engine, the Dream and the Wave? Hmm, same size engine, yes, but diff fuel delivery. I don't know about any other changes. I would think something changed in 11 years! haven't THEY managed to squeeze ever more umph out of smaller and smaller engines, kind of sort of?

13 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Don't which both have the same engine, the Dream and the Wave? Hmm, same size engine, yes, but diff fuel delivery. I don't know about any other changes. I would think something changed in 11 years! haven't THEY managed to squeeze ever more umph out of smaller and smaller engines, kind of sort of?

You sure about that? I thought that the Thai government had mandated that new bikes must all be fuel injection.

Here is an old thread from 2010 that maybe confirms that.

First check the throttle cable, this is the first thing must be checked on first service on all new bikes at 500km or 1000km, see your manual,  it means they are prone to go out of adjustments, maybe at full throttle the engine is actually not receiving it due to loose cable etc. ...

Also check the chain with your finger, not too loose or hard, procedure is in the manual...

Next they say don't do full throttle on a new bike for at least 500km, or even 1000km, until the engine is seated, have you followed this advice,  maybe you or your wife did a high rpm on the first few  kilometers of the bike and it has caused an issue,  no idea but a lot of things can go wrong with the engine in such a scenario, piston rings,  valves adjustments,  head gasket etc, check if any smoke coming out of the exhaust at high throttle, is there any oil leaks, or eratic idling, check oil level, signs of engine in trouble, if nothing then need a really experienced and patient mechanic to check everything  ..... 

3 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

ou sure about that? I thought that the Thai government had mandated that new bikes must all be fuel injection.

Here is an old thread from 2010 that maybe confirms that.

Afaik you can't tax two stroke bikes anymore, only 4 stroke

But carburators are still used, here for example a street legal bike using a carburator: http://www.kawasaki.co.th/motorcycle/dtracker150

If you are unhappy with the bike and the dealer's response just phone Honda in Bangkok and tell them your problem. They sent a mechanic out to look at my bike when I wasn't happy and fixed the problem. 

Bought a brand new Honda Wave end of last year and have been underwhelmed with it in every aspect. Rough riding, poor handling, excessive vibrating over 70 kph. Wanted a Suzuki but nowhere to be found near us. Won't buy another Honda. Disappointed to say the least. 

22 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Then there is definitely something wrong with this bike of yours.

I ride a Click and although I'm nearly always first away at the lights due its excellent acceleration, a Wave will always best me on speed once we're on the open road. I've had them pass me 'two up' with ease, even when I'm 'doing the ton'.

You said you 'don't think' the rear brake is binding. Double check just to sure by putting the bike on the centre stand and turning the back wheel by hand. Then gently apply the pedal until it starts to bind.

But from your comments about the lag when opening the throttle, it seems more likely that there is a problem with the engine, possibly the fuel injection system.

I'd be back down the workshop telling that mechanic to stop laughing and get investigating.

Good luck.

If the rear brake is dragging he would be smelling it burning and it would be smoking once he came to a stop.

27 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

If you are unhappy with the bike and the dealer's response just phone Honda in Bangkok and tell them your problem. They sent a mechanic out to look at my bike when I wasn't happy and fixed the problem. 

I agree with that, it seems like whenever you can't get local offices to take care of your concerns it really does work to call the main offices in Bangkok. Works well whether it is a motorbike or internet service or what have you.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:36 AM, BestB said:

No one ever gets to test ride a bike, even test driving a car could be problematic????

Not really, If you go to a Main Branch in any Province. Whether for cars or bikes. My Mazda2 l bought in Phetchaburi 3 Years ago, testdrive no problem and my Honda Click 4 Years ago in Mainbranch Phitsanulok, testride off course.

Archived