BANGKOK 19 June 2019 06:37
Sandy Freckle

Compare 787 Dreamliner and Airbus A330 ?

Usually I fly into Swampy from Perth on Thai's Boing Dreamliner..., but now Thai Airways has swapped the Dreamliner for the Airbus A330. 
Who's flown both and can you give me an appraising comparison ? I'm a wide shouldered, taller guy and so any extra room would be most welcome. 
Also..., can someone recommend a seat ? On the 787 I preferred a window seat down the back but not too close to the crapper. Any recommendations and why ? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, WayWokeWhiteGuy said:

Can't really recommend a seat, but you could try Seat Guru

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thai_Airways/Thai_Airways_Airbus_A330-300_V2.php

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Thai_Airways/Thai_Airways_Boeing_787-8.php

The bare numbers 787-800 to A330-300 are identical, but the actual space available depends on the seats too which I can't tell about the difference.

What I like better with the A330 is the 2-4-2 layout if you want a window seat.

And a lot more seats in the A330 marked as inferior. No good idea to sit in the back.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I've flown on both planes though always in J. In all classes the amount of space available will depend greatly on which airline you are flying with as they decide the seat pitch and - to a lesser extent - the layout. In J the type of seat makes a huge difference too, though much less so in economy.

As far as I know Thai are one of the least generous when it comes to seat pitch in economy.

Sites like Seatguru can help you select seats, as mentioned, though you cant always be sure that you will actually get the plane or layout that you think you will be getting as they do sometimes change them for "operational reasons". Also airlines often have multiple versions of the same basic plane type, and the seating on each can vary a lot too.

• Thanks 2

I've flown numerous times on both aircraft. 787 on Scoot to Japan and Gulfair to Bahrain. A330 to Bahrain and other destinations. For economy I prefer the 330.

787 economy seats give me lower back problems which i don't suffer from on the 330. I find the 787 seats hard and don't hold me in position. I tend to slide forward in the seat. I thought it was just me but a number of my work colleagues have had back problems too.

I prefer 787 business class seating over the 330. Both are comfortable with the 787 providing a bit more privacy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

As far as I know Thai are one of the least generous when it comes to seat pitch in economy.

The published numbers are 32 inch pitch and 18 inch width.

Nothing great but quite common for economy.

i recently read a thread on flyertalk.com related to the retrofit (new interior) of a few of TG's A330's.  in that thread, the routes for the newer version were narita and perth (TG481/482).  so you may get a newer interior plane. saw it on post #61 in the thread below

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/thai-airways-royal-orchid-plus/1917020-first-a330-300-retrofitted-full-flat-seat-5.html

i do like the 2-4-2 layout in econ on the 330.  the semi benefit of the 787 is the pressurization of the cabin, i believe it is the equivalent of being at 6,000ft of elevation versus 8,000ft in the 330.  supposedly, that makes a big difference on your body.

i've flown the 787 long haul (japan to USA) and not sure i felt a difference from the other planes i've been on.  but can google about elevation if further info is needed.

• Like 1

Just flew to the UK with Qatar airways, the first part on a 330 and the 2nd part on a 787. I have to agree with someone who has posted above that the 787 seats are uncomfortable, I'm not big so pitch and width doesn't matter but the 787 seat feels hard and my arse was aching after about half the journey and I couldn't get comfortable again.

Sure you meant the A330? Thai Airways swapt to the newer A350. And this is, in my opinion, a nicer flight then on the Dreamliner. I flew both from Vietnam to Europe.

I regularly fly to BKK from Perth and have loved the 787 we had before. Last trip was on the A330 and it was crap !  It is so noisy in comparison and the seats are not as comfortable. Do not get a window seat. We always sit around row 50 at the back but their is plenty of engine noise. However it is convenient for the toilet and galley.  Food has gone right downhill and so has the service. Will look at flying Scoot via Singapore in future. To book your ticket always use AM Holiday Travel. They are the cheapest and the best. Run by Thai people.

Have only flown once on the Dreamliner and hated it--I was in Economy and even though I am a small guy, it felt so cramped.  I had a good comparison with the 777 because I flew the 787 on the first leg and then immediately got on the 777.  What a difference--much more room and better seat configuration on the 777. Same airline for both flights.  I would choose any other double aisle over the 787, including the A330, which I have also flown.  My favorite plane is the A380 but also like the 777.

Airbus build spec and materials superior to Boeing.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1