What tailor shop do you recommend?

asdfrules

Go see Jesse the Indian tailor (they all are) at Rajawongse Clothier shop below the Parkway Inn. Small place easily missed between Nana Soi 4 and the Landmark Hotel. Excellent cut, quality and materials. Of course you have to bargain with an Indian! When you shake hands, check to see if you still have all your fingers! But Indians are all like that.

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

Near to Nana BTS Station.

The fake wool last a lot longer than the fake cotton.. my general experience here.. but haven't bought anything from them in many years (for that reason), which is a damn shame, because I am tall size, which is about as rare as a 47 shoe. I buy ll bean on sale, and pick it up on yearly visits to the Units. Many of the tailor guys ask me about them and how much.. usually about 600 THB, and they get kind of quiet.. because they are charging more for something half as good.  And the ironing?  And the tailors mostly over tailor, so it would be good if you were a mannequin, but no room to move, and they assume their low quality fabric doesn't shrink, which is a big assumption. A polyester suit would be a good way to have a heat stroke in BKK, and at best case, you look like a boiler room phone jockey. 

50 minutes ago, moontang said:

The fake wool last a lot longer than the fake cotton.. my general experience here.. but haven't bought anything from them in many years (for that reason), which is a damn shame, because I am tall size, which is about as rare as a 47 shoe. I buy ll bean on sale, and pick it up on yearly visits to the Units. Many of the tailor guys ask me about them and how much.. usually about 600 THB, and they get kind of quiet.. because they are charging more for something half as good.  And the ironing?  And the tailors mostly over tailor, so it would be good if you were a mannequin, but no room to move, and they assume their low quality fabric doesn't shrink, which is a big assumption. A polyester suit would be a good way to have a heat stroke in BKK, and at best case, you look like a boiler room phone jockey. 

I get skin irritations from wearing such cheap and crappy polyester clothes. Easy to find handmade silk in Isaan, no idea where you can find such a shop in Bangkok.

Most "silk" bought at an Indian is anything else than silk. 

It's worth each baht you spend for it. 

I've had okay experiences with Crown Tailor and Empire Tailor.

Poor experiences with Raja, Rajawongse (recommended above), and Tailor on Ten (also recommended above).

As others have suggested above, just because there are a lot of "tailors" in Bangkok doesn't mean Bangkok is especially good for tailoring.

Yes, agreed, Bangkok is definitely not good for tailoring unless you want to get a Thai outfit/shirt made.

Cheap deals will result in crappy clothes of poor quality.

However if you find the right tailor and build a relationship you can get pretty good stuff made, almost impossible for tourists....

There are tailors who import expensive Zegna fabric and the likes and since these will set you back 60k+ THB for a suit, surely you want to be confident all is done to your specifications and with highest craftsmanship possible.

Unless you are of a special size or like uncommon designs, it is often much better to get clothes of the shelves, especially in Europe.

Just veering a little, but saw something interesting on CNA.  They did an experiment with twin brothers to see what was actually better for lower core body temp., a cotton shirt or special sweat wicking material.  Pure cotton kept the core temp one degree C lower.. which is a lot.   So I suspect the garment industry is just making excuses for not using pure cotton, which is relatively expensive (compared to plastic garbage bags), and downright prohibitive for a country that produces zero cotton, and is also known to apply tariffs on imports that DT could only dream of.  Your poly wool suit might look normal here, but will look downright silly in a place where poly-blend went out of style 40 years ago. 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:57 PM, Fab5BKK said:

I've been using Tailor on Ten since 2011. Happy customer, indeed!

5 suits + 20 shirts made.

They're not the cheapest in Bangkok but the value for money is solid, typically for the ToT price you would get off the shelf clothing in Europe.

https://www.tailoronten.com/

Same, used others before.. .didnt like it.

Tailer on 10 is fine tho, prolly because its run by a belgian guy -.-

3 hours ago, PhilippBKK said:

Yes, agreed, Bangkok is definitely not good for tailoring unless you want to get a Thai outfit/shirt made.

Cheap deals will result in crappy clothes of poor quality.

However if you find the right tailor and build a relationship you can get pretty good stuff made, almost impossible for tourists....

There are tailors who import expensive Zegna fabric and the likes and since these will set you back 60k+ THB for a suit, surely you want to be confident all is done to your specifications and with highest craftsmanship possible.

Unless you are of a special size or like uncommon designs, it is often much better to get clothes of the shelves, especially in Europe.

Tailor on ten has Zegna fabric jfi.

And yes it's priceeey but cheap suites are like cheap lawyers, money thrown out of the window imo

Have had suits, jackets, trousers and shirts done many times there

Good materials, great price, and on time service. 

The Boss Avenue (Tailor)

Address: 119, Sukhumvit Road betweeen Soi 5-7, Klongtoey -Nue, Wattana,, Bangkok 10110

Phone: +66 2 252 6042

High quality tailor located on Sukhumvit 2 doors down from Soi 7. The attention to detail is top notch. Fast and friendly. Highly recommend

I want to get a tailored suit made
I will get round to it one day
Only for weddings and funerals etc
I don’t want to look like the god squad or suchlike
Hence i keep putting it off !

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 6/10/2019 at 4:57 PM, Fab5BKK said:

I've been using Tailor on Ten since 2011. Happy customer, indeed!

5 suits + 20 shirts made.

They're not the cheapest in Bangkok but the value for money is solid, typically for the ToT price you would get off the shelf clothing in Europe.

https://www.tailoronten.com/

Fully agree with this. So nice to have a westerner organising it for you as well. 

Archived