Thai Prenuptial agreement?

Anyone know what Thai culture has to say about this? 

My girlfriend seemed incredibly unsure when I asked her (She's 29 and I'm 25 so close enough in age I don't think she wants my money) not that I have much or anything haha

Simply put, I won't get married without one as I think it should be a requirement before marriage...

Anyone have experience with this?

I didn't meet yet a thai woman who doesn't want money, if not now, sooner or later the mask comes off, as for prenuptial, it is indeed a new concept on the locals, i'll be very surprised if she will agree to it giving the horror stories these pages have told...

54 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I didn't meet yet a thai woman who doesn't want money, if not now, sooner or later the mask comes off, as for prenuptial, it is indeed a new concept on the locals, i'll be very surprised if she will agree to it giving the horror stories these pages have told...

Maybe you didnt meeting any, but i have, my wife, never in 8 years has she asked for 1 baht.

Now my ex was the complete opposite, she never paid 1 baht for anything when we were together.

I had one done to document assets that were pre-existing before marriage, just to make it clear years or decades later if things went tits up.  Yes, it was awkward and a "mood killer" for a while, but it faded. 

Don't remember how much, wasn't that expensive.  Had it done at Sunbelt Asia in BKK.

https://www.sunbeltasia.com/prenuptial-agreement-thailand

No need, before marriage is yours. Assets aquirred during marriage is equally  split. However, anything you put in her name such as property and vehicles during marriage is almost impossible to get back if you do divorce. Lawyers will tell you otherwise and charge hundreds of thousands to try and get back for you. 

2 hours ago, baansgr said:

No need, before marriage is yours. Assets aquirred during marriage is equally  split. However, anything you put in her name such as property and vehicles during marriage is almost impossible to get back if you do divorce. Lawyers will tell you otherwise and charge hundreds of thousands to try and get back for you. 

Really? That's way different than here in the U.S.

Here, we hear horror stories of the woman taking everything... Same thing happened with my parents.

I guess the system here is totally corrupt... Thailand's system sounds like a dream in comparison.

It did seem very clear that what's yours before marriage here is yours, and hers is hers.  Post marriage assets 50/50.  Still, I thought it was prudent to have a clear line, so did the pre-nup anyway. 

Or, simply don't be so open about offshore assets in the first place.  Doing a pre-nup, in a way, reveals too much. 

Dunno.  Never been divorced here but plenty of guys on TVF have been there done that, so wait out for some more feedback. 

The agreement needs to have certified ID of both parties and the lawyer needs to accompany you to the Amphur.

I paid 10k for mine and on the day it was useless because the lawyer didn't add the proper identification info and didn't accompany. I had read the amphur supplies witnesses but that didn't seem to be the case.

The lady also mentioned 10k was much more expensive than usual.

Also my solicitor in Australia told me that it holds no weight there if I ever decided to move back.

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

I didn't meet yet a thai woman who doesn't want money,

Hi E-Z Ezzra... how many people have you met who don't want money? Warren Buffett is still working... thankfully my wife in USA didn't want money, 75% of everything was just about right for her... 

ps - love the Oscar Wilde quote... 

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

Why would any person on the "losing out" end agree to it?

"Get stuffed"...would be my own response.

14 hours ago, SanookTeufel said:

Anyone know what Thai culture has to say about this?

Thai culture has nothing to do with protecting your derriere legally.  If you do not want to protect yourself legally because you are afraid of 'offending' the culture - trust me friend, you get screwed by that exact culture.

Prenuptial is fairly new in Thai culture, however you are partly protected by Thai law, what was yours before marriage is still yours; what is added during marriage is shared property, and shall be split 50/50 in case of divorce. But its still good to make one.

However, you should consider a prenuptial based on your home country's law also, as you might as well register your marriage there, preferably both in your home country language, and in certified Thai translation. Thai law only covers assets in Thailand, you home country's law don't cover assets in Thailand.

Another matter to consider is a Last Will, for both of you, just in case of for example an accident. Thai law, without a will, only leave half (50%) for a spouse. Again you might need two Last Will, one for Thailand, and one in your home country.

22 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

A never ending supply.  Lollo

Another one that didnt read the brochure of Do’s n Donts on the plane.

keep em coming

Some of you guys have no faith in Thai people, in which case why are you on this forum?

2 minutes ago, andux said:

Who pays the bills though? Or who paid for the house or vehicles?

Who pays the bills... We do, everything joint, who paid for the house my wife did, who paid for the pickup me.

31 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Who pays the bills... We do, everything joint, who paid for the house my wife did, who paid for the pickup me.

If she is attractive, you've got a unicorn there. Hats down.

Archived