Video: Pod of rare whales spotted near Koh Tao

webfact

Video: Pod of rare whales spotted near Koh Tao

7pm_VI.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Foreign tourists were delighted when a pod of around 30 killer whales followed their dive boat.

Phones came out to record the thirty minute spectacle that was all posted on the Daily News pages. 

Surat Thani governor Wichawut Jinto said that it happened between Sairee Beach on Koh Tao and the island of Koh Nang Yuan. He had been informed by a dive company taking tourists out on a trip. 

Daily News said that the species are known in Thai as "black killer whales" (wan petchakhat dam) that are referred to as false killer whales in English. They normally live far out to sea.

Sairee beach was the site of the infamous rape/murder case of a British woman Hanna Witheridge and compatriot David Miller in 2014. Two Burmese men were convicted and sit on death row. 

Other mysterious cases on Koh Tao have led some media to dub the tourist paradise as "Killer Island".

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-03

On 6/3/2019 at 3:48 PM, MARK74 said:

what do the last 2 paragraphs have to do with a whale sighting ????

Maybe they were trying to highlight the fact that statistically you more likely to die in mysterious circumstances on the island than see the pod of whales again. 

From "Animalia" site

"

The species is known to have polygynandrous (promiscuous) mating system, where both males and females mate with multiple mates. The False killer whales mate throughout the year with peak periods, occurring from January to December and in March.   "

Reminds me of myself, the time I was spending in Bangkok and Pattaya.... 

On 6/3/2019 at 3:48 PM, MARK74 said:

what do the last 2 paragraphs have to do with a whale sighting

The op didn't know enough about the whales to make it interesting, maybe?

I really would have like to know more, such as are the the same species as in the west? Why are they called false killer whales.

OP turned a possible really interesting article into something less than...

Archived