BANGKOK
LivinginKata

New Discussion - retirement extension at Phuket Imm

Plenty talked about this. I just want the latest intel from Phuket residents to prepare for my next extension later in the year.

I keep 800k in the bank all year but use it as an emergency fund for major expenses so from time to time drop below 800k. I am assuming (?) that 800k still need to be there 3 months before application. And with new rules 800k after extension granted. thereafter 400k must be in back. So it's 800k for 6 months and at least 400k for the other 6 months.

Informative replies welcome. Thank you.

New rules are two months before, three months after, with half (400k) tied up permanently.

Apparently some IOs, in some areas, haven't read the memo and still want three months before. Generally Phuket IOs know the rules.

• Thanks 1

If it doesn't make a difference to you, I'd play it safe and season for three months before.

I was also told by a Phuket I/O that any infraction of the new rules would result in no extension. They are not going to be lenient.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

If it doesn't make a difference to you, I'd play it safe and season for three months before.

I was also told by a Phuket I/O that any infraction of the new rules would result in no extension. They are not going to be lenient.

They are indeed not very flexible at Phuket immigration but if you stick to the rules (2/3 months and the 400K) you will be fine.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, merijn said:

They are indeed not very flexible at Phuket immigration but if you stick to the rules (2/3 months and the 400K) you will be fine.

Sorry, but, I'm not convinced. I will continue seasoning 3/3 and the 400k. With three months there is no argument. 

If you get unlucky with a new I/O who insists incorrectly on three months, do you honestly think you will get him to admit he's wrong and lose face? Not a chance.

44 minutes ago, merijn said:

What ... it's 2 or 3 months and 800k baht. 400k only kicks in 3 months AFTER,

5 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

What ... it's 2 or 3 months and 800k baht. 400k only kicks in 3 months AFTER,

Yes, and another opportunity for misunderstandings. According to TV it is three months after the successful application. Not three months after current extension expires. I will not touch the money until three months after expiry. Again, they can't argue with that. I'd rather do longer seasoning than risk starting over due to an I/Os ignorance.

• Like 1

I just ring-fence it. I've got my renewal next month- most stressful day of the year wondering what they will come up with but it  (hopefully) has always gone smoothly so far.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, merijn said:

OK to make it easier for you 🙂

800 K 2 months before the application date, 800 K 3 months after the application date and afterwards 400 K for the remainder of the year until next extension which requires again 800 K 2 months before the next application date.

Do you think I don't know that?

Have you not been reading the visa threads? Some immigration offices are still insisting on three months before. I'm playing it safe.

Edited by Joe Mcseismic
  • Like 1

Reading this thread I noticed the top ad on the right hand side from an agency guaranteeing a retirement extension with no 800,000 baht required.

Seems that Big Joke's plans didn't work.

Sorry, don't want to go off-topic here but I found it interesting. Google ads, I believe, not TV.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

Have you not been reading the visa threads? Some immigration offices are still insisting on three months before. I'm playing it safe.

I prefer the knowledge of someone actually involved with the Phuket Immigration Office than the random (and often completely irrelevant) 'input' of Thaigeezers (and their mates wot it happened to).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

I read the visa threads and most of the time i try to forget it as soon as possible as there is so many misinformation in it 🙂

Personally i did not receive any complaints about Phuket immigration officers insisting 3 months of the 2 months.

If you want to play it safe and do 3 months instead of the required 2 months it's up to you off course and i agree it is a good habit.

• Like 1