Gunman shoots dead village head in Narathiwat mosque

Gunman shoots dead village head in Narathiwat mosque

By The Nation

4198528bd60ad914d73f556a239fa6f7c6ff76591499954e90b427c37b805617.jpg

A gunman walked into a mosque and shot dead the village head in Narathiwat’s Ra Ngae district on Sunday night.

Stray bullets also injured a man praying next to the village head at the mosque.

Ra Nage Police Station’s superintendent Pol Colonel Kamol Narong said Pakruding Tohdeng, 48, the village head of Ban Arwar in Tambon Mareubotok, was killed inside the Ban Arware Mosque. He sustained two gunshot wounds, one to the head and the other to the back. 

Mayudee Arbu, 43, also sustained injuries to his right ankle and leg from stray bullets.

Witnesses said the gunman arrived at the mosque on a motorcycle with another man and entered without drawing attention before suddenly opening fire on the village head. He then quickly fled the mosque to the waiting motorcycle and left the scene.

Police are trying to determine whether the shooting resulted from a personal conflict or was related to ongoing unrest in the deep South.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30370477

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-03

Headmen are rarely innocent and with little or no law enforcement protecting people this is what happens.

Just had an issue behind our house which is public land. People started farming and burning everything. By law its 7yrs in prison for the fire and all farming equipment confiscated and hefty fines and prison time. Called the obvious douche and yep... Nothing will be done! My dogs bit these guys and my wife and i chased them away. Its the wild west..... Oh i forgot to mention. Guess whos paying these idiots to farm here...? Yep, you guessed it....

Had the guy been gunned down in his driveway, they probably would have blamed it on insurgents.

I always wonder how much of the alleged "insurgency" is simple business and financial disputes being handled the way they're handled all over Thailand, where the justice system doesn't work and cops are just as likely to be the problem as the solution. 

According to some well connected co-workers in the Songkhla area, most of these incidents are related to business disputes, and not connected to any type of independence movement based on religious grounds.  Except for wanting to get out from under the Bangkok Elite who use corruption, connections, and dodgy land claims to displace locals from land their family has owned for generations.  But that's certainly not unique to the South.

21 hours ago, toenail said:

How much “power” does a village head have in these communities? Does he act like a “community judge”? Gets “financial contributions” from village members? - just curious.

Dont ask

Archived