BANGKOK
4675636b596f75

Thai Visa Centre - who are they & how did they get my email?

Today I got this, and I want to know who gave them my email.  It happens to be the email I use for my 90-day reports, not the one I use here.

Is Immigration selling our data?

=====================================================================================

This is Grace from <removed> again.

I am happy to let you know that our price for 1 Year Retirement Visa's is now only ฿14,000 (50% discount)!

We help sponsor your financial requirements, and only require passport, and two photos.

If you have any visa needs please contact us ASAP.

Have a wonderful day.

--

Grace

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

How did they get my email and how did they know when my extension was coming due?

What did they answer to you?

1 minute ago, tubby johnson said:

What did they answer to you?

I didn't contact them.

The email showed up today.  

Not using my usual email.

How did they get it and my name?

3 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

I didn't contact them.

Look ... we can't answer that.

Ask them. Only they know the answer to your questions.

• Like 1

Immigration has found another way of raising tea-money by selling their address lists.  😉  I used to maintain my own domain and hand out return email addresses named after their requester - like "immigration@myowndomain.com" so there was no disguising where someone had got my email address.  It's a lot easier than it sounds!  😉

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

Today I got this, and I want to know who gave them my email.  It happens to be the email I use for my 90-day reports, not the one I use here.

Is Immigration selling our data?...

I figure that you made the right guess at the top of the post, except that immigration officials probably don't sell the addresses as such. With this so-called visa agent it is likely part and parcel of the symbiotic relationship that some agents have with officials for their mutual benefits.

• Like 2

Removed a troll post and the 2 replies to it.

3 hours ago, 4675636b596f75 said:

There is only one place they could have gotten the email and name.  It would appear that my data was sold.  One wonders how much information flowed to them.

So you know the answer to your own question. Someone at the office you use is passing info to that agent.

• Like 1

Finally, a logical explanation for that apparently absurd Foreigner Information Form.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 11:09 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

I didn't contact them.

This seems familiar to something that happened to me some time ago, I deleted the email but was suspicious it somehow coincidentally tied in with a post I had made on Thai Visa. I was sent a Visa agents email, and wondered how they got my email address. 

A few years ago I was working in an NHS hospital, I had an accident and hurt my arm so

went to A & E. There were a whole load of questions on a form including my mobile number.

Within hours I got a text from a firm of ambulance chasing lawyers asking whether I had had an

accident at work and if so could be in line for compensation!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

Received the same letter last year, after using a translation service in Bangkok.

It certainly isn't TVF or Immigration.

I suspect you've used an agent or some kind of service recently that you supplied your e-mail to …… there's your answer.

Edited by Tanoshi

Or maybe the database has been hacked. There was a story on TVF a month or so ago about peoples personal details turning up on the web. Apparently the genius in charge had set an access password using 12345 or similar

On 6/3/2019 at 10:47 PM, 4675636b596f75 said:

Is Immigration selling our data?

Don't get nickers in a twist, it's only an email which you can ignore, delete, or reply to.