BANGKOK
webfact

Will Vietnam Overtake Thailand as Asian Playground for Russians?

3 hours ago, zhounan said:

The enforcement of thai immigration law, the snooping of police forces, the increase of prices, are some of the reasons let expats and tourists choose other countries than Thailand. And Vietnam is quite good.

Have you ever lived in Vietnam?  Methinks not. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

From May 2018 to April 2019, Russian arrivals to the Asia-Pacific rose 54.5 percent, far outstripping total international arrivals growth to the region of 3.8 percent, according to ForwardKeys.

This makes Europe the top growing source for Asia-Pacific,

Since when is Russia called Europe?

1 minute ago, Youlike said:

You didn’t have social studies class in school?

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

West of Ural is geographically Europe. Mentally not.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, DonDoRondo said:

After 7 years in CM I'm off to Vietnam in 2 months.  Obtained a 1 year visa / M.E. / filled out a one 

page application and scanned the info page of my passport / all online and no personal 

appearance.  No 90 day checks.  So far it doesn't seem that bad but certainly going in with

my eyes wide open.

Could you please elaborate on what the pitfalls of living in Vietnam?  I'd love to hear

about it.  

Absence of medical care.  Absence of a stable currency.  Communist government.  Red mud.

I hope so! Again, no surprise.

Look at the mess this place is always in, unstable governments etc... and how tourism and confidence are falling.

Thailand has had it far too good for far too long and is still a third world country developing that skims from tourists pockets to stay afloat. 100 THB fee on arrival to cover medical expenses! Come on!

Just goes to show how arrogant they are by cheating foreigners for so long plus the lawlessness etc etc etc....

All bubbles deflate or burst. What goes around comes around.

Som nom na...

Edited by Sonhia
Mistake

Well Vietnam has more and more things to offer, are more based on work and progress compare to the "sanuk" mentality of thais. So sure they will make much more progress and get more and more interesting for investors, tourists a d expats to live!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, manhood said:

Well Vietnam has more and more things to offer, are more based on work and progress compare to the "sanuk" mentality of thais. So sure they will make much more progress and get more and more interesting for investors, tourists a d expats to live!

Thailand and Vietnam were in the same place after WWII.  Thailand is 3 times richer.  https://countryeconomy.com/countries/compare/vietnam/thailand

Vietnam was on the winning side during WWII and managed to lose over 2 million people in the years following while Thailand built infrastructure and made money. 

I see no reason to think the disparity 1 - 3 GDP per capita will change.  Thailand has not changed it was always the same as it is now or worse. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

I hope so! Again, no surprise.

Look at the mess this place is always in, unstable governments etc... and how tourism and confidence are falling.

Thailand has had it far too good for far too long and is still a third world country developing that skims from tourists pockets to stay afloat. 100 THB fee on arrival to cover medical expenses! Come on!

Just goes to show how arrogant they are by cheating foreigners for so long plus the lawlessness etc etc etc....

All bubbles deflate or burst. What goes around comes around.

Som nom na...

What bubble?  Thailand has one of the highest foreign reserves in the world and a stable currency.  I put money in Thai banks 20 years ago and I take the interest out every year to live with SS and still have what I deposited.   I've lived in Vietnam and Thailand.  I think anyone who had the means to choose would choose Thailand.  If you don't Vietnam would be a 10 or 15th choice down the list of places to retire. 

Edited by marcusarelus

16 hours ago, madmen said:

No chance they love walking st way to much. Nothing like that in Vietnam

Have you tried Bui Vien, Ho Chi Minh, walking Street, not as busy as Pattaya yet,  but some good night's out

• Like 1

17 hours ago, madmen said:

Yea, there is. 

18 hours ago, madmen said:

Plenty of things to see, to do, to eat etc., in many parts / places in Vietnam. Many beautiful bays and mountain areas to see. And plenty of internal travel options and several international airports all very modern and efficient.

Plus many Russians are already familiar with Vietnam and/or have worked in Vietnam during the era when Russian oil companies dominated that industry in Vietnam and still have a sizeable presence and influence.

In some areas hotels are already well set up to attract Russian managers and workers and Russian tourists. 

17 hours ago, Maitdjai said:
Then Curviews, Raids, ridiculous regulations, "Alien" hunt, overvalued Baht, rising prices, cattle-horde-tourism, and so on.

That gave me a good giggle. 

8 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Say what you want but Vietnam does not have a very bright government.  Never did. 

they were bright enough to force the american armed forces out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1