Drone users rejoice! Regulations set to be eased by the end of this year

webfact

Man...you seem to have a significant issue with Drones and the reference to male anatomy shoes your maturity level. I suppose anybody with a fast car, motorcycle, nice boat etc is a problem to you as well. Sounds a bit like Drone Envy....[emoji6]

Every forum has a troll.
He might not have had a loving childhood and never had any attention as a child and this is his way of getting some now.
Bless his little soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, JAFO said:

the reference to male anatomy shoes your maturity level

Where did I make any reference to anatomy (male or otherwise)? 

You appear to have filled in the blank space (…..?) to suit your maturity level by the looks of it.

On 6/5/2019 at 1:49 AM, scottiejohn said:

These toys do more harm than any possible good when under the (non) control of big boys with little.....! 

Ahhh Gee Scottie......Little.....! what would you lead us to believe....Hands? Feet?....

Still think you have "Drone Envy. You should fly one. They are a lot of fun, so are fast cars, fast motorcycles, sky diving, and host of other hobbies.  

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

Ahhh Gee Scottie......Little.....! what would you lead us to believe....Hands? Feet?...

Still think you have "Drone Envy. You should fly one. They are a lot of fun, so are fast cars, fast motorcycles, sky diving, and host of other hobbies.  

Try brain, if you have one!

BTW I am an ex Pilot, hence my hatred of drones. I also drive sports cars, dive and ride hoses etc.

I suggest you do not make assumptions about people you do not know anything about.

4 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

BTW I am an ex Pilot, hence my hatred of drones.

I suggest you do not make assumptions about people you do not know anything about.

I too am a pilot (are their any ex ones? Surely once a pilot always a pilot? ).  I don't hate drones, they have their place and I imagine, like model aircraft, they can be good fun to fly, but they do need tough legislation World wide and very responsible use.  Unfortunately, Regulation and Regulators, in all countries, has been very slow to catch up with this freely available and cheap technology. . 

On 6/5/2019 at 3:49 PM, scottiejohn said:

B/S. These toys do more harm than any possible good when under the (non) control of big boys with little.....! 

A drone cannot do rescue, look maybe, but that is all!

Ban them now before they bring down aircraft or do other major damage etc.

That's like trying to ban the nuclear bomb; you can't turn back the technological clock. 

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

BTW I am an ex Pilot, hence my hatred of drones. I also drive sports cars, dive and ride hoses etc.

Wow...that's really rich Scottie. If you read what you wrote you should almost laugh at yourself. All good though

But nonetheless its alright if you despise drones. They are here to stay and the technology continues to advance making it fun to fly them with incredible video capability.

Pilotman is right there will always be some that do not use common sense when flying them making it a problem for all.  I have a Fireman colleague friend of mine in the states, they now use a drone to assess vehicles that have gone off cliffs and survey fire area and directions. I have used mine to survey land, assess roof tops and check on rivers. The uses are endless and save people being put at risk.

On 6/5/2019 at 12:25 PM, JAFO said:

LOL.. Well not all Drone users snoop on people. Its amazing how people think that people with drones want to see what others are doing. I always laughed and say I do not want to see some fat person walking around in their underwear in the back yard or the other odd things they may or may not being doing. 

LOL> I may be an old man and not worthy of "snooping", but my wife isn't.

Drone cameras are all the go these days. It's one of the main reasons people use them. Why else would you fly one? 

Perhaps anti-drone missiles will become a popular side-market. A good catapult or slingshot should do the trick. What is the law? Can you shoot down drones hovering over private property or getting in your face?

scottiejohn,

I am starting to get the feeling you think you are the only one who is right.

I am sorry that I have tell you this.

You are not always right.

I was a hunter for years and a professional for 6 of those years.

People have been killed by firearms.

I never had the inclination to kill people.

Firearms don’t kill people. People kill people.

Cars do the same.

Pilots are known to do the same.

The list goes on.

I think most here are happy to listen to cc.

Learn to listen to what others have say and learn.

Get off your high horse and if your cc cannot be constructive go away.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 hour ago, tropo said:

What is the law? Can you shoot down drones hovering over private property or getting in your face?

Actually in the states air space is managed and controlled by the FAA. The air space above your land is not yours thus people can legally fly there. Also to note, It is illegal to shoot down an aircraft. Drones by definition are considered aircraft. There are numerous ongoing debates about all of this of course. In Thailand its really an open book as the FAA does not manage it here. 

I guess if you could shoot down a drone with a sling shot or catapult over your house then the drone owner likely deserve it as I see it. I fly mine at 100ft to 300ft up. You'd have to be a helluva good shot at the high up and figure in leading it just right at 20 mph...????  

Most higher end drones shout in 4k @ 60FPS and with that high of resolution one does not have to fly close to see things. 

12 hours ago, tropo said:

Drone cameras are all the go these days. It's one of the main reasons people use them. Why else would you fly one? 

Perhaps anti-drone missiles will become a popular side-market. A good catapult or slingshot should do the trick. What is the law? Can you shoot down drones hovering over private property or getting in your face?

Not sure about Thailand but in the UK you cannot just shoot at them. . 

15 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

I am an ex Pilot

14 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I too am a pilot

12 hours ago, Deerculler said:

I was a hunter for years

I am was an astronaut so mine is bigger than all of yours... :cheesy:

Lot of gorilla chest thumping here - Putin in the house?

1 minute ago, ParadiseLost said:

I am was an astronaut so mine is bigger than all of yours... :cheesy:

Lot of gorilla chest thumping here - Putin in the house?

A statement of fact mate, no chest thumping involved. 

Seriously though, I foresee a huge surge of wannabes rushing to get their drone images on social media.

Can't wait for the crashes and kamikaze dives into buildings, temples, anywhere else where there are already a million pics on the internet...

On 6/5/2019 at 8:20 PM, JAFO said:

Man...you seem to have a significant issue with Drones and the reference to male anatomy shoes your maturity level. I suppose anybody with a fast car, motorcycle, nice boat etc is a problem to you as well. Sounds a bit like Drone Envy....????

People riding fast cars, motorcycles, boats or whatever face more physical and legal limitations on where they can do their thing. As in not in other people's backyard (or over it, with regard to drones).

I think that concerns about privacy and safety are quite relevant when it comes to Thailand.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Actually in the states air space is managed and controlled by the FAA. The air space above your land is not yours thus people can legally fly there. Also to note, It is illegal to shoot down an aircraft. Drones by definition are considered aircraft. There are numerous ongoing debates about all of this of course. In Thailand its really an open book as the FAA does not manage it here. 

I guess if you could shoot down a drone with a sling shot or catapult over your house then the drone owner likely deserve it as I see it. I fly mine at 100ft to 300ft up. You'd have to be a helluva good shot at the high up and figure in leading it just right at 20 mph...????  

Most higher end drones shout in 4k @ 60FPS and with that high of resolution one does not have to fly close to see things. 

What counts as "air space"? I mean, how high off the ground? Even if there is a clear legal definition here (in Thailand, that is) kinda doubt it will be adhered to or enforced in other than very obvious cases, or where complaints are by influential people. And as for the last bit, exactly. Goes further than physical invasion of privacy.

Technology and its applications seem to develop at a faster pace than relevant ethical, legal and enforcement concepts to address them.

The safety using drones is relevant everywhere.

Not only Thailand.

I fly for my own enjoyment and try not to be a nuisance to others.

I think most drone owners feel the same.

Sadly it only takes a small number of selfish idiots to stuff it up for the the rest.

That happens with other things too.

6 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

The safety using drones is relevant everywhere.

Not only Thailand.

I fly for my own enjoyment and try not to be a nuisance to others.

I think most drone owners feel the same.

Sadly it only takes a small number of selfish idiots to stuff it up for the the rest.

That happens with other things too.

Fair enough, and to be clear, I don't think most of the people commenting use their drones in a manner which would be over the line.

But yes, there are always some idiots. And it does happen with other things too. And having lived here long enough, I can say that on this front, this country sometimes struggles. Not Thai-bashing, I think we're all aware of safety, law enforcement and respect for the law issues here. Finding it hard to believe operation of drones would be different.

Obviously similar concerns exist anywhere where drones are used, difference perhaps with how (or if) they are addressed.

20 hours ago, tropo said:

Drones are loud, and the lenses are wide angle. I think the privacy concerns are at least a bit overblown. Even in a case where your privacy was being invaded, you could hear it and walk inside. 

Respectfully, I do not see this as any more of an issue than say normal cameras with long lenses, which would in fact represent a much larger potential privacy threat in my opinion. 

I think where this privacy concern comes from is the angles and pov's are obviously increasing with drones. But you are not really able to do anything with a drone that you could not feom say the top of a building or parking structure. And taking photos from those places has always been legal. 

7 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

NO!

You can only say "I am a pilot" If you hold a current pilot's licence!

Too literal an interpretation I would say,  for most trained and experienced pilots. However,  by your restricted definition, I am still entitled to use the term,  as I do hold a current set of licences and ratings.  

1 minute ago, utalkin2me said:

Drones are loud, and the lenses are wide angle. I think the privacy concerns are at least a bit overblown. Even in a case where your privacy was being invaded, you could hear it and walk inside. 

Respectfully, I do not see this as any more of an issue than say normal cameras with long lenses, which would in fact represent a much larger potential privacy threat in my opinion. 

I think where this privacy concern comes from is the angles and pov's are obviously increasing with drones. But you are not really able to do anything with a drone that you could not feom say the top of a building or parking structure. And taking photos from those places has always been legal. 

Living out of town, no high buildings around, fences around property. Surface level cameras and lenses wouldn't be much of an issue. A drone mounted one could be.

Go inside? Some advice there. How's that not an invasion of privacy? And yes, the noise is another matter, although granted, maybe better to know they are there.

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Too literal an interpretation I would say,  for most trained and experienced pilots. However,  by your restricted definition, I am still entitled to use the term,  as I do hold a current set of licences and ratings.  

What is restricted in my definition? 

You are either a qualified pilot or you are not!

You say you hold a valid licence and ratings etc therefore you are a pilot. 

As I no longer maintain any ratings or licences for any type of aircraft (including boys toys!) as such, I cannot 'Pilot an aircraft', therefore I cannot call myself a pilot.    What is the problem with those definitions?

Archived