Drone users rejoice! Regulations set to be eased by the end of this year

webfact

What is restricted in my definition? 
You are either a qualified pilot or you are not!
You say you hold a valid licence and ratings etc therefore you are a pilot. 
As I no longer maintain any ratings or licences for any type of aircraft (including boys toys!) as such, I cannot 'Pilot an aircraft', therefore I cannot call myself a pilot.    What is the problem with those definitions?

What did you fly and where?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As I no longer maintain any ratings or licences for any type of aircraft (including boys toys!) as such, I cannot 'Pilot an aircraft', therefore I cannot call myself a pilot.    What is the problem with those definitions?

What aircraft did you have ratings for and where did you fly?

10 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Bored with this discussion.  Believe what you like mate.  

45 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

What did you fly and where?

What has that question got to do with this subject.

Go back and get excited with whichever toy takes your fancy!

PS; I don't think TV allows me to up/download a file as large as my log books etc!

PS; I don't think TV allows me to download a file as large as my log books etc!
You said you were a pilot.
I didn’t ask.
I only asked what aircraft you had been rated for and where.
Simple question.
Nothing about wanting to see log books.

1 hour ago, Deerculler said:

What aircraft did you have ratings for and where did you fly?

What have your repeated questions about me got to do with me making comments and asking about why people want to fly these dangerous toys any where in the world.

Please get back on the topic and hopefully kill both the topic and drones worldwide.

3 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Pedantic?

2 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

PS; I don't think TV allows me to up/download a file as large as my log books etc!

Bigger than your ego? Gosh!

3 hours ago, Morch said:

Living out of town, no high buildings around, fences around property. Surface level cameras and lenses wouldn't be much of an issue. A drone mounted one could be.

Go inside? Some advice there. How's that not an invasion of privacy? And yes, the noise is another matter, although granted, maybe better to know they are there.

Cmon, there are trees, pickup trucks, roofs, cars and walls to stand on. 

I do not see the issue. And the point is, if you do have an issue with drones, you should have an issue with all cameras and other surveillance equipment. 

For example, Google has mapped the entire world. That seems like much more of a privacy/security threat to me, and yet drones seem to take much more heat for whatever reason. 

Answer this: if what you are saying truly was a privacy issue, then why can people erect buildings that are able to look down on things like people's backyards? When you consider it like that, see how ridiculous the privacy "argument" is?

4 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Cmon, there are trees, pickup trucks, cars and walls to stand on. 

I do not see the issue. And the point is, if you do have an issue with drones, you should have an issue with all cameras and other surveillance equipment. 

Read the post just above yours.

And seriously, climbing a tree bordering on my garden, standing outside the fence on the roof of a nearby pickup or standing on my fence - while taking pictures, are not considered acceptable. Not even in Thailand. Somehow drones seem to get a free pass.

Other than that, yes - not a big fan of surveillance, especially if it serves no purpose that can be construed as beneficial.

2 minutes ago, Deerculler said:

Rules and laws are made.
It is the stupid minority that make the problems. And make it difficult for others.
Not only drones.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Plenty of traffic rules in this country too.

:coffee1:

I think the privacy concerns of drones are overblown. Most drones eg Mavic 1,  Mavic AIr etc are fitted with wide angle lenses. Once they're in the air, all you see of people are little blips from above in the vast expanse of landscape, making the person unrecognisable. At least that was my experience when flying them.

4 hours ago, Morch said:

Read the post just above yours.

And seriously, climbing a tree bordering on my garden, standing outside the fence on the roof of a nearby pickup or standing on my fence - while taking pictures, are not considered acceptable. Not even in Thailand. Somehow drones seem to get a free pass.

Other than that, yes - not a big fan of surveillance, especially if it serves no purpose that can be construed as beneficial.

It sounds like if a guy next to you built a two story house you would be forced into moving because your privacy is supposedly being invaded. If you do not already realize it, that is unreasonable. People can see into other people's backyards and other spaces in all sorts of situations. There are things on earth higher than your fence, sorry to break it to you. People can go onto these things legally, again, sorry to break news to you that should be known already. 

Camera equipment is surveillance equipment. Isn't it clear what you are saying? That we should ban camera equipment now too. 

I see you did not answer why tall buildings can be erected, if being able to view others' property is such a violation. Why not! Because there is no answer! Mystery solved. 

Bottom line, equipment exists that people will be able to see you with, even from far away. Telescopes, binoculars, video and photo equipment, parabolic mics. Hell, there are even laser mics that operate off of vibrations from your window now! All I am saying, is if you want to ban drones, you better be for banning it all. And since we know that is a very dubious position, we can deduce you are probably not on very firm ground with your argument. Because in my estimation, drones are loud and have wide angle lenses and are not very adept at actually spying or invading anyone's privacy (unless you are way too paranoid I mean). 

And, nobody cares! Most all these complaints are from people sitting in their backyard and a drone flew by. Unless you have a wife who looks like a victoria secret catalogue model, and she likes to lay out in the backyard and sunbath, I am betting nobody cares about you. They are just flying a drone. Guaranteed, 100% this is 99.9% of the cases or more, paranoid people who have no business being paranoid at all. Privacy argument debunked. Next, drone noise pollution... i think that is firmer ground to stand on in that debate. 

It sounds like if a guy next to you built a two story house you would be forced into moving because your privacy is supposedly being invaded. If you do not already realize it, that is unreasonable. People can see into other people's backyards and other spaces in all sorts of situations. There are things on earth higher than your fence, sorry to break it to you. People can go onto these things legally, again, sorry to break news to you that should be known already. 

Camera equipment is surveillance equipment. Isn't it clear what you are saying? That we should ban camera equipment now too. 

I see you did not answer why tall buildings can be erected, if being able to view others' property is such a violation. Why not! Because there is no answer! Mystery solved. 

Bottom line, equipment exists that people will be able to see you with, even from far away. Telescopes, binoculars, video and photo equipment, parabolic mics. Hell, there are even laser mics that operate off of vibrations from your window now! All I am saying, is if you want to ban drones, you better be for banning it all. And since we know that is a very dubious position, we can deduce you are probably not on very firm ground with your argument. Because in my estimation, drones are loud and have wide angle lenses and are not very adept at actually spying or invading anyone's privacy (unless you are way too paranoid I mean). 

And, nobody cares! Most all these complaints are from people sitting in their backyard and a drone flew by. Unless you have a wife who looks like a victoria secret catalogue model, and she likes to lay out in the backyard and sunbath, I am betting nobody cares about you. They are just flying a drone. Guaranteed, 100% this is 99.9% of the cases or more, paranoid people who have no business being paranoid at all. Privacy argument debunked. Next, drone noise pollution... i think that is firmer ground to stand on in that debate. 

I agree. As to drone noise. The drone I have is very quiet.

Should users not be tested and licensed? Insured as well?

My only personal experience with a drone was in Shanghai a few years back - while walking past a shop, suddenly I had a drone right in front of my face - I swatted it (a great shot) into the ground! The shop owner was not pleased to say the least but what could he really do.... If that had hit me I could have lost an eye.

19 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

It sounds like you're making up nonsense arguments I haven't posted, only to call them "unreasonable". I'm sure you could do better.

Having neighbors is part of life. All the more so in the city. There's a difference between a neighbor, and someone who's actively snooping though. I think we could all live with the former, while not being thrilled about the latter.

If someone was to build a two story house on the next plot, it still wouldn't be right outside my window, and while I'd rather it won't happen, not the end of the world. Plant a couple of extra trees/bushes if I feel the need.

And sure, there are things around higher than my fence - distant coconut trees, roof of a single house nearby, that sort of things. If someone was to climb either and take pics of my property, I think it would be out of line. You wish to argue otherwise, go right ahead. Or better yet, try it with your neighbors.

When it comes to drones, seems like the rules - both official and unofficial, aren't all that clear, or do not provide the same protections. It would be illegal for someone to seat on top of my fence and take pics, but alright for someone to fly a drone over the property. Makes sense? I don't think so.

There wasn't anything said about banning anything. Not cameras, not surveillance equipment, not even drones. It wasn't "my argument", just a straw man you falsely set up. I don't think such a ban is realistic, reasonable or possible.

Nobody cares would be your point of view, not fact. You may fly your drones for fun, and do so in a responsible manner - doesn't necessarily apply all around. People do a whole lot of bad and stupid stuff with technology that's supposed to be fun.

Calling others "paranoids", announcing argument was "debunked" - grow up: it's alright if not everyone fully embraces your hobby. As for "debate", perhaps try to do so honestly next time.

13 hours ago, Deerculler said:

I agree. As to drone noise. The drone I have is very quiet.

I'd guess that would depend on model, how low you fly it, and how others experience it. Most of the civilian ones I saw were on the annoying side, some more than others. If I was still living in Bangkok, probably no issues, noise pollution being what it is.

44 minutes ago, ParadiseLost said:

Should users not be tested and licensed? Insured as well?

My only personal experience with a drone was in Shanghai a few years back - while walking past a shop, suddenly I had a drone right in front of my face - I swatted it (a great shot) into the ground! The shop owner was not pleased to say the least but what could he really do.... If that had hit me I could have lost an eye.

Couple of years ago, we visited the Parthenon in Athens. Standing on the view point hill opposite, there were a couple of drones about, noise kinda like an angry bee hive on speed. At some point one of them went too low over people's heads, and a Russia tourist swatted it with a selfie stick. Almost a fight with owner, and then police arrived to fine the drone guy, and see him off.  

Archived