3 or 4 days in Issan, is Khon Kaen worth it? Or only UT?

Rainville

Hi all!

I'm contemplating doing a short hope in Issan during my next trip in Jan 2020. 

I'll be coming from a week in Koh Chang and a few days in Pattaya but I wanted to see something different before finishing the trip in BKK. 

I've seen that there are direct flights to both Udon Thani and Khon Kaen from Pattaya airport and thought why the hell not.

I'm 30yo, looking to see some less touristic part of Thailand, some place where you feel a bit more like an oddity than Patt or BKK.

Still, I’m looking for somewhat of a nightlife as I’m more of a night owl than an early riser. I understand it will be nowhere as vibrant as P. or BKK but I’ve seen some nice bars and clubs in both Khon Kaen and Udon Thani. I'm especially drawn towards those Thai clubs with Live music/shows.  

Initially, I only thought about doing 3 nights in UT but Khon Kaen grabbed my attention being a big student town with even less tourists than UT.

Is Khon Kaen worth it in that regard? Is the city nice? Should I do 1 or 2 nights there or should I just focus on Udon Thani for 3 nights.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers

For the type of things you mention the 2 places are quite similar imo. 

Im not sure you are correct in saying there are less tourists in KK compared to UT. 

I’ve just come back from Udon and will be going to KK next month as I enjoy them both equally. 

As they are only about an hour apart do them both would be my advice. 

Phi Mai, about 50km north east of Korat (Nakon Ratchasima), there, the inappropriately named PhiMai historic park is a little known part of Angkor Wat, that is, it was a 'hotel' on the route to Angkor Wat, built for use by royalty, in the same style (different to the Thai style) at the same time, and it exactly aligns with Angkor Wat, 300km away.

There is of course the standard street food, night walking street (mostly food) bars, night clubs and hotels, definitely worth a visit just for the 'historic park'.

52 minutes ago, millymoopoo said:

Phi Mai, about 50km north east of Korat (Nakon Ratchasima), there, the inappropriately named PhiMai historic park is a little known part of Angkor Wat, that is, it was a 'hotel' on the route to Angkor Wat, built for use by royalty, in the same style (different to the Thai style) at the same time, and it exactly aligns with Angkor Wat, 300km away.

There is of course the standard street food, night walking street (mostly food) bars, night clubs and hotels, definitely worth a visit just for the 'historic park'.

Thanks for the tips but I don't think I'll have time to go to Phi Mai.

Udon Thani is priority, wondering if it's worth it to squeeze Khon Kaen as well :).

KK, can’t stand the place, I’d rather be in a Monkeyhouse BORING, avoid Korat , also, Udon Thani , you might enjoy the Nightlife , I enjoy my friends in Nong Khai , also, I lived up there for 3 years, bring your own, if you visit , No English and the girls are on the take, Ruthless, PM me for horror stories, I heard Buriram is Worse, but have only spent a couple weeks , there, and I thought Pattaya girls were Ruthless, at least you know what their up to, I tried Christians and Buddhist you there, The Christian Girls were even Worse, especially Konburi, Yuk, I enjoyed the Buriram Nightlife

2 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

KK, can’t stand the place, I’d rather be in a Monkeyhouse BORING, avoid Korat , also, Udon Thani , you might enjoy the Nightlife , I enjoy my friends in Nong Khai , also, I lived up there for 3 years, bring your own, if you visit , No English and the girls are on the take, Ruthless, PM me for horror stories, I heard Buriram is Worse, but have only spent a couple weeks , there, and I thought Pattaya girls were Ruthless, at least you know what their up to, I tried Christians and Buddhist you there, The Christian Girls were even Worse, especially Konburi, Yuk

I think a lot depends on how well you know a place - unfortunately the OP won't have either the time or the knowledge to do that.  When I first moved to Khao Yai/Pak Chong, I thought the only nightlife was either the local 'farang bar' or a Thai country music bar near my house. With the benefit of time I've found many bars and 2 nightclubs in Pak Chong - a place many would consider as a 'sleepy hollow' and I continue to find new places even now - 5 years later.  I can't understand why you would say 'avoid Korat' - lots to do there is you know where to look.  KK?  Luckily I have a friend who lives there and knows where to go, I've had good nights out on every trip.

OP, both Udon and KK have a Tawan Daeng club.  If you've never been they're a nightclub/cabaret style venue. Some of the acts can be a little 'tame' and there's a lot of 'lip syncing' going on but I've never met anyone who said they didn't have a good night out at a Tawan Daeng (although I'm sure there will be a few here ????). Once the beer starts flowing the place starts jumping and there's always lots of eye candy.

36 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

KK, can’t stand the place, I’d rather be in a Monkeyhouse BORING, avoid Korat , also, Udon Thani , you might enjoy the Nightlife , I enjoy my friends in Nong Khai , also, I lived up there for 3 years, bring your own, if you visit , No English and the girls are on the take, Ruthless, PM me for horror stories, I heard Buriram is Worse, but have only spent a couple weeks , there, and I thought Pattaya girls were Ruthless, at least you know what their up to, I tried Christians and Buddhist you there, The Christian Girls were even Worse, especially Konburi, Yuk, I enjoyed the Buriram Nightlife

Not impressed then? Bizarre 

18 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I think a lot depends on how well you know a place - unfortunately the OP won't have either the time or the knowledge to do that.  When I first moved to Khao Yai/Pak Chong, I thought the only nightlife was either the local 'farang bar' or a Thai country music bar near my house. With the benefit of time I've found many bars and 2 nightclubs in Pak Chong - a place many would consider as a 'sleepy hollow' and I continue to find new places even now - 5 years later.  I can't understand why you would say 'avoid Korat' - lots to do there is you know where to look.  KK?  Luckily I have a friend who lives there and knows where to go, I've had good nights out on every trip.

OP, both Udon and KK have a Tawan Daeng club.  If you've never been they're a nightclub/cabaret style venue. Some of the acts can be a little 'tame' and there's a lot of 'lip syncing' going on but I've never met anyone who said they didn't have a good night out at a Tawan Daeng (although I'm sure there will be a few here ????). Once the beer starts flowing the place starts jumping and there's always lots of eye candy.

Thanks KhaoYai!

Would you still do both Khon Kaen and Udon Thani (2 nights each) or focus on Udon Thani for 3 nights? 

16 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I’ve heard, Tawan  Dang in Udon, the local Thais will bump shoulders with you and cause a fight, Korat 3 years , now, English not spoken, girls just users, btw I lived in Pattaya 9 years, so it’s Tame, Try Baankuer, not far from UBar same road, but you go down a soi on the right after UBar, Tawan Dang is an ok nite, avoid Club Life next to it and Karoke, Trouble My Friend 

15 minutes ago, Rainville said:

Thanks KhaoYai!

Would you still do both Khon Kaen and Udon Thani (2 nights each) or focus on Udon Thani for 3 nights? 

I probably would yes, just for the variety, I doubt you'll find much difference between them in just 2 nights but do a little research before you go. Find a starting point (farang bar) and ask the expats there - ask as many as you can because some just get cocooned in their own little world's. I went out with a mate in Pak Chong last trip - he's lived nearby for over 5 years and didn't know most of the places I took him to.

Better still, if you manage to find English speaking Thai's whist you're out, they'll tell you far more. Despite what others may say, there are quite a few basic English speakers 'out in the sticks' - they can be shy to use it though (its a face thing). With my basic Thai and their basic English, I usually get by.

18 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Not impressed then? Bizarre 

Bizarre, if you live in Moobaan , NOWHERE, it’s Bizarre, Terminal 21 is Nice, The Mall, I bizarrely hate Central Rachisima , confusing layout, If you like going on a date with a Translate app, be my guest, I guess you re  Bizzarrly Impressed with life in slow lane after boring farm life, if you want to communicate, study some Thai, the police will usually not ticket you in Korat, because they don’t speak English, But The Korat Police are stand up Gentlemen a far cry from Pattaya, Let us know , What your thoughts were on your return

Speaking of both Udon, would you guys say it's important to be there at the end of the week (Thursday/Saturday) should I wish to enjoy the local nightlife ? Is there a big diff between week days and weekend nights in clubs like Tawan Dang, Phoenix, Blue Bar, Day and  Night complexe etc.?

1 hour ago, Rainville said:

Speaking of both Udon, would you guys say it's important to be there at the end of the week (Thursday/Saturday) should I wish to enjoy the local nightlife ? Is there a big diff between week days and weekend nights in clubs like Tawan Dang, Phoenix, Blue Bar, Day and  Night complexe etc.?

Saturday night is usually the busiest because a lot of Thai's work 6 days. However, I've been to my local clubs/bars on a weekend and found them quiet whilst I once went to Tawan Daeng in Korat on a Tuesday and it was packed. There's no hard and fast pattern.

Take ear plugs into that Thai nightclub in kK near thepullman hotel.   If you stay in that hotel don't stay on the side away from the main road .  2 years ago there was a house party below that vibrates the windows on the 10 th floor until 4 am .  I saw two farang in the club by Pullman. If band is good it is packed at 11 pm.  Just follow the skirts.   I don't see how you pick up a woman in a noisy club like this when people just party and drink so much and dance around their own table.  Not a real safe feeling alone in a club like this.  Seems that's just drink.  Hard to think Thailand is poor with so many buying bottle service.  I say use a dating site and line up some scores before you travel.  always works best for me.  Be ruthless and have two lined up to go on a coffee interview in the afternoon and then decide which one to meet again.  Many have cars and will drive you around.  It may be good to know the bus stations and schedules so you can bail out on a chick and go to UT. Or bail to KK.   I thought UT had potential but the nutty bar area is a sad reminder of what good old days must have been like.   I have heard first hand from a local UT lady that some uni girls a quite eager for sponsors.   There is even a list if you know contact.   

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Better still, if you manage to find English speaking Thai's whist you're out, they'll tell you far more. Despite what others may say, there are quite a few basic English speakers 'out in the sticks' - they can be shy to use it though (its a face thing). With my basic Thai and their basic English, I usually get by.

I've been to the Udon Tawandaeng a number of times, with my Thai GF at the time who's now my wife. We always had a fun and enjoyable time out there, never any hassles from anybody. When we were there, I was usually one of the few farangs in the place.

At least in my experience, it's not where the typical older expat hangs out. But if you like live Thai music, lots of locals table dancing, Thai drinks and a lot of local eye candy, it's a good place to go. Just try not to hit on a Thai guy's GF....

15 hours ago, IssanMichael said:

do a google search of Nakhon Phanom

been to kk and nakhon phanom many times i like both but for you in your 30s and being a night owl i would not recommend either im twice your age and go with my lady so great form me. p.s we are not night owls ????

10 hours ago, Rainville said:

You never know, look at holiday weekends , Sunday Nights  are packed, be careful

of Bin Scams in Day Night, pay by the drink, Try Fun Bar after a Lovely Dinner at Brickhouse, across the soi, the guy owned Witherspoons in Soi Bukoaw  in Pattaya but if you speak a lil Thai, the girls will run away, they want Newbies at Fun Bar, Try Nana Place across from Top Mansion, 490b a night , beds are fantastic, quieter than Top Mansion, doorslammers and surly staff at Top Mansion 

6 hours ago, Ireland32 said:

You never know, look at holiday weekends , Sunday Nights  are packed, be careful

of Bin Scams in Day Night, pay by the drink, Try Fun Bar after a Lovely Dinner at Brickhouse, across the soi, the guy owned Witherspoons in Soi Bukoaw  in Pattaya but if you speak a lil Thai, the girls will run away, they want Newbies at Fun Bar, Try Nana Place across from Top Mansion, 490b a night , beds are fantastic, quieter than Top Mansion, doorslammers and surly staff at Top Mansion 

Thanks for the suggestions !

For now I have pre-booked a nice room at the Princess hotel but I might switch to the Centara as it seems much better situated. 

My plan for now is to rent a scooter and ride around in the afternoon, getting a feel of the city, then find a nice lively bar/restaurant to eat something nice before trying out the bars on Samphant Thamit alley (Fun bar maybe? ???? ) and at the Day and Night complex. I like beer bars, playing pool and hopefully meet a cutie. Although I'm a bit afraid all of them will be 40+ ladies.

Best case scenario is to ask her to join me partying at the Tawandeang (or similar club), if not I'll go by myself. 

7 hours ago, Tomahawk21 said:

been to kk and nakhon phanom many times i like both but for you in your 30s and being a night owl i would not recommend either im twice your age and go with my lady so great form me. p.s we are not night owls ????

So you're saying it's an old chaps town? ????

On 6/6/2019 at 8:55 AM, Rainville said:

Best case scenario is to ask her to join me partying at the Tawandeang (or similar club), if not I'll go by myself. 

Always been a fan of Tawan Daeng (once it warms up) - can be difficult to 'pull' in there when its very busy but if you have a bit of 'front' you should be OK. Personally I prefer going with someone I know - most Thai's love it and if there's a group of you, you'll be shown to a table. If you ask a girl to go there with you - don't worry, within 10 minutes there will be a group of you going.  If you're not flush, establish some ground rules cos guess who's paying ???? - remember its also a restaurant and they will eat, regardless of whether they just had dinner or not ????. Not crazily expensive though, unless the entire family shows up ???? - don't laugh, it happens.

I really, really, really, must start ordering my beer by the glass though. February - Tawan Daeng Korat, 2 towers of Chang, couldn't remember the name of my hotel, never mind where it was and one hell of a 'Changover' in the morning. Eventually discovered I was staying at the Aisana - only because my gf fished the keycard out of my pocket ????. Nice hotel if you're ever down that way - not cheap mind and I don't get the bit about having windows in the toilet......................I mean..................................

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2019 at 3:55 PM, Rainville said:

...the bars on Samphant Thamit alley (Fun bar maybe?) and at the Day and Night complex. I like beer bars, playing pool and hopefully meet a cutie. Although I'm a bit afraid all of them will be 40+ ladies.

Ah yes... Day and Night AKA the "cow shed" on Soi Sampan.

Bring your own milking stool BTW.

Otherwise yes, Fun Bar and when you get hungry, there's Brick House directly opposite. Everywhere else on the street is sh!te.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, Rainville said:

So you're saying it's an old chaps town? ????

One time when I was having fish and chips at Harry's Handlebar on Soi Sampan, I saw a silver-haired on a Zimmer fairly rushing to the Viking on the corner.

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Ah yes... Day and Night AKA the "cow shed" on Soi Sampan.

Bring your own milking stool BTW.

Otherwise yes, Fun Bar and when you get hungry, there's Brick House directly opposite. Everywhere else on the street is sh!te.

Don’t speak Thai at Funbar, they like Noobies

On 6/24/2019 at 9:23 AM, jimmyyy said:

I lived in khon kaen for 2 years, i would give it a miss, its not really worth a tourists time to visit.

2 of the longest year , ever I bet, Korat Same,The girls are Ruthless Goldiggers...Where they learned, it I have No idea....

Archived