Thailand's opposition alliance to nominate rising star Thanathorn as PM

webfact

Thailand's opposition alliance to nominate rising star Thanathorn as PM

2019-06-04T083042Z_1_LYNXNPEF530HK_RTROPTP_4_THAILAND-ELECTION-THANATHORN.JPG

Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the Future Forward Party flashes a three-finger salute to his supporters as he leaves a police station after hearing a sedition complaint filed by the army in Bangkok, Thailand, April 6, 2019. REUTERS/Athit Perawongmetha/Files

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's anti-military Democratic Front alliance will on Wednesday nominate rising political star Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit for prime minister, facing off against junta leader Prayuth Chan-ocha, a spokeswoman said.

The scheduled vote for a new prime minister comes five years after then-army chief Prayuth seized power from an elected government in 2014.

Thanathorn, leader of the opposition Future Forward Party, entered politics just last year and his party came in third in elections in March.

"The seven democratic parties coalition have jointly decided to nominate Thanathorn for the prime minister's vote tomorrow," Pannika

Wanich, spokeswoman for Future Forward, told Reuters.

Thanathorn faces at least two criminal charges of sedition and cybercrime for allegedly aiding anti-junta protesters shortly after the coup and for a critical speech on Facebook - charges he has characterised as politically motivated.

(Writing by Kay Johnson)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-06-04

By nominating Thanathorn there has to be a vote. This  is good as without at least two candidates there would not have been a vote and all the conjecture would have been mere commentary. The choice of Thanathorn is interesting and very symbolic.

And it will go absolutely nowhere.

In the NCPO stuffed Senate he'll get 'nul points'....I got that from watching classic Eurovision Song Contests on Youtube, kinda fits the bill here methinks!

12 minutes ago, Chang_paarp said:

By nominating Thanathorn there has to be a vote. This  is good as without at least two candidates there would not have been a vote and all the conjecture would have been mere commentary. The choice of Thanathorn is interesting and very symbolic.

Unfortunately being interesting and symbolic doesn't cut it in a junta controlled 'democratic parliament", the reason the junta are trying every conceivable but juvenile reason to undermine his very presence in Thai politics.

In most civilised society with a rule of law, fair and reasonable election guidelines and with people voting for the good of the country and not based on what's in it for me and who my master is - his nomination would be interesting , not sure about symbolic.         

16 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The last and only hope for Thailand. Doesn't look good, they'll throw him in the slammer one way or another or he simply "disappears".

Not sure about that, seems there is an underground swell making a reasonable amount of noise backing him, short term the junta might silence him - longer term, well that's another story. 

Thanathorn confirmed as anti-junta bloc nominee in PM contest 

By The Nation

7753671d0a1215d1bd9488dcd5451753.jpeg

The anti-junta bloc of political parties has decided to nominate Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit, leader of the Future Forward Party, to contest for the post of prime minister against junta chief and current PM General Prayut Chan-o-cha in the election on Wednesday.

This is despite Thanathorn’s current suspension from MP duties pending the outcome of a Constitutional Court case against him. 

The Pheu Thai Party, leader of the bloc with the most MPs following the March 24 general election, gave way to the bloc’s second-biggest player in terms of number of MPs, reportedly in a bid to gain a possible swing vote from the Democrat Party in the PM contest.

If the nominee were from Pheu Thai, it is unlikely that MPs from outside the bloc would support the candidate.

Moreover, Pheu Thai secretary-general Phumtham Wechayachai on Tuesday said the party’s nominee, Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan, had already announced she would not take any position in a new government – and she would keep her word.

Aside from Pheu Thai’s candidate and Thanathorn, Sereepisuth Temeeyaves is a strong figure within the bloc. 

However, because his affiliation party Seri Ruam Thai had not won 25 MPs, as required by the Constitution to field a PM nominee, the anti-junta politician is not eligible to contest for the top government post.

Although Thanathorn is currently suspended from carrying out any MP duties due to the ongoing case against him for holding shares in a media company at the time of his registration as an MP candidate ahead of the March poll, the seven parties from the anti-junta bloc view him as qualified to be their PM candidate.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30370524

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-06-04

Interesting times ahead, I reckon Prayut has a few cards still up his sleeve, one would be a coup I would imagine, that said, I hope Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit blitzes Prayut just to show him how disliked he really is. 

53 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The last and only hope for Thailand. Doesn't look good, they'll throw him in the slammer one way or another or he simply "disappears".

Nothing democratic about Thanathorn, who has repeatedly lied about not being a nominee of Thaksin Shinawatra and his Pheu Thai Party.

19 minutes ago, peterdarby said:

Nothing democratic about Thanathorn, who has repeatedly lied about not being a nominee of Thaksin Shinawatra and his Pheu Thai Party.

How do you know he is lying, and how is it undemocratic if he had?

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Make it so.

URGENT - Please check the current Breaking News list on the website of the paper we can't mention - the FF lawyer guy is today lodging charges to seek suspension of some 30 MPs, mostly the junta party, for having shares in media companies.

How ironic, let's see how this affects the same charges against against Khun Thanathorn, and the other charges against him. 

Hopefully this will force some big changes of attitude and actions from the junta party.

45 minutes ago, peterdarby said:

Please support your claim with some solid facts / details.

1 hour ago, peterdarby said:

Naturally you have conclusive proof of this and will publish it in the MSM?

If not then bovine excretia springs to mind.

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I'm not so sure. Yes many would like to "disappear him", not least I suspect the fellow with the astonishing haircut and bling-encrusted uniform who is so obviously hovering impatiently in the "wings". However, Thanathorn has a high profile internationally, is well known and liked by the international press, and diplomatic circles have taken (and demonstrated) an interest in the measures being taken against him. It may not be that easy to snuff him out.

53 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Naturally you have conclusive proof of this and will publish it in the MSM?

If not then bovine excretia springs to mind.

I think it comes under the rather worn heading of: "But everyone knows that Thaksin..."

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Interesting times ahead, I reckon Prayut has a few cards still up his sleeve, one would be a coup I would imagine, that said, I hope Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit blitzes Prayut just to show him how disliked he really is. 

As far as a coup taking place, Prayuth needs the nod from someone with much higher authority and without that nod Prayuth is just a toothless tiger. 

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

As far as a coup taking place, Prayuth needs the nod from someone with much higher authority and without that nod Prayuth is just a toothless tiger. 

A "higher authority" should see this nutjob as dangerous to their own very existence and sweep him away before he becomes their own downfall.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

URGENT - Please check the current Breaking News list on the website of the paper we can't mention - the FF lawyer guy is today lodging charges to seek suspension of some 30 MPs, mostly the junta party, for having shares in media companies.

How ironic, let's see how this affects the same charges against against Khun Thanathorn, and the other charges against him. 

Hopefully this will force some big changes of attitude and actions from the junta party.

But that's different, they aren't a threat to the chosen ones, so therefore it doesn't count. 

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

And it will go absolutely nowhere.

In the NCPO stuffed Senate he'll get 'nul points'....I got that from watching classic Eurovision Song Contests on Youtube, kinda fits the bill here methinks!

So you are the one keep watching them ???? I lost interest after Sandie Shaw won

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

So you are the one keep watching them ???? I lost interest after Sandie Shaw won

As an American I only recently discovered this phenomenon after I watched Abba winning. Fascinating stuff lol

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

As an American I only recently discovered this phenomenon after I watched Abba winning. Fascinating stuff lol

1974, the good ole days. If you really want a laugh ,watch the  UK entry 1959 ( if it is available) Pearl Carr and Teddy Johnson, now you think this years entry was crap well watch that one. My real favourite was sung by Kathy Kirby, can't remember the song, to mesmerized by her massive breasts, 65 I think it was, the year not her bust size ????

Apologies to all for departing from the thread.

28 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Oh but you forgetting something , Prayut is no longer a favorite of that someone. There is a good reason why Prayut was sitted way in the back during ceremonies.

There is someone else who is favorite at the moment, and he is not from the military.

Saying that, new army chief is much more scary than Prayut, 

Sometimes better the devil you know  than devil you do not

38 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Don't you mean a suckling pussy?

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

the international community would not tolerate a coup

4 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Don't you mean a suckling pussy?

Definitely a pussy - using the very polite terminology, however I'll stick with toothless tiger, all noise only when it comes to real action. 

2 hours ago, scorecard said:

They are absolutely shameless. It's no problem for them to convict Thanathorn and absolve the others....

Archived