Patong taxi, tuk-tuk drivers asked to stop cheating, beating tourists

snoop1130

Patong taxi, tuk-tuk drivers asked to stop cheating, beating tourists

By The Phuket News

1559644391_1-org.jpg

Tuk-tuks in Patong – Phuket’s bustling tourism hub. Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET:-- The Chief of Patong Police held a meeting today (June 4) to discuss the launch of a project aimed at improving the behaviour and attitude of Patong taxi and tuk-tuk drivers towards tourists.

Col Anotai Jindamanee presided over the meeting for the project named ‘Being Good Host’ this afternoon, attended by officials and local business owners including Preechawut “Prab” Keesin, head of the Pisona Group of companies and son of long-time former Patong Mayor, Pian Keesin.

Col Anotai told The Phuket News today, “The main goal of the project is to address the issues that are impacting tourism in Patong and to promptly repair the area’s image.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-taxi-tuk-tuk-drivers-asked-to-stop-cheating-beating-tourists-71659.php#zDrYGAPh3gqLfmrS.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-06-04

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, please don’t cheat and beat the tourists otherwise we might have to do some work and arrest someone. Now run along you nice Tuk-Tuk people and keep up the good work. Thailand number one. 

6 hours ago, steelepulse said:

What did Prab have to say about this since he's been so outspoken and concerned lately!

he will have all the cheating by himself same as his father

buy his apartments for millions of bath can use 2 weeks a year else have to pay and can not have 2 weeks in highseason free.

but he give 7% or similar annual of investment (not 7% of income which probably is greater)

and to help him with this the goverment deemed airbnb illegal 

he is not an honest man he says he have 10 up educations but havent learned enough or anything 

he probably do more to effect the tourist industry negative than the most include the tuk tuk

The few times I had to deal with Phuket taxis, the first thing that struck me was their really bad attitude. The arrogance is unbelievable. They charge extortionate prices and it is as if they are doing you a favor letting you in their taxis. No wonder fewer tourists go to Phuket. I myself certainly won't go anymore. "Beating up tourists".... you cant make that up.

Another thing is that usually Thais wont be nice for the sake of being nice. Here being nice often means you are either trying to sell / obtain something, or that you are lower in the socioeconomic scale. Now most tourists in Phuket are nice and polite, because they genuinely are. BAM! Pea-sized brain taxi driver Somchai take this as a sign of weakness.

This has been going on for decades. And the tourist sheeple keep coming, keep getting ripped off and keep getting bashed. What does your average Phuket taxi thug learn from that? He learns there are no negative consequences. So he keeps on doing what he is doing.

My last trip to Phuket was in 2001. There is unlikely to be another.

I wonder if there is anywhere else in the world where the chief of police politely asks a large gang of goons, thugs, and crooks,   if they could please stop cheating the tourists and stop beating them up?  I think not. 

Tuk-Tuk Driver Day

Sponsored by Patong Police Dept

Marriott Hotel - Patong Beach

Today's Seminars

Sala 1: Being a Good Host

Sala 2: Making forensics work for you

Sala 3: Creative ambiquity: The Fine Art of 'I Never Said That'

6 minutes ago, alfalfa19 said:

I wonder if there is anywhere else in the world where the chief of police politely asks a large gang of goons, thugs, and crooks,   if they could please stop cheating the tourists and stop beating them up?  I think not. 

You are correct. 

And if you follow your own logic, you will be able to see where the real power rests in Phuket (I'll give you a clue : it ain't with the rule of law) and that having gained that power, those who hold it are so neanderthal, intellectually challenged and lacking in capability, all they can do with it is run an overpriced taxi monopoly protected by thuggish violence.

I think the comments so far have covered it pretty well. 
Asking  - check
Enforcing - check

I would like to address the part about Thailand's IMAGE. So much here is about IMAGE and if the image is not good the money, er, people, will stop coming. How about focusing on the EXPERIENCE? If the people had a good time and were treated with respect at a fair price, then they will return, they will tell all their friends and their friends will come too. Then the sheer beauty of the Phuket area will not have to do all the work because the EXPERIENCE was all good.

Hush........I can hear something............Wait...........Definitely a rustling in the air.............what can it be..........the air is electric..........Oh, the anticipation..........yes..........i can feel it is strong now..........it is very, very close...............just over the horizon................

Hurrah !!! here it is, coming to a news outlet near you in the blink of an eye.....................

Honest Phuket Tuk Tuk Driver photo op !!!!!..........................

à¸à¸¥à¸à¸²à¸£à¸à¹à¸à¸«à¸²à¸£à¸¹à¸à¸ à¸²à¸à¸ªà¸³à¸«à¸£à¸±à¸ honest tuk tuk driver in phuket

9 hours ago, the guest said:

I wouldn't go in a tuk-tuk (taxi) even if you paid me. Complete rip-off !

you can always settle your fare prior to commencement of the trip.lesser chance of problems that way.

Archived