Opinions

Twigtom

Has anyone experienced about when you travel to the wife’s village that you are suddenly the village idiot? Even about items concerning your business or great knowledge, that you are laughed about and the wife is scoring points? I find it very upsetting that there seems not respect any more with relatives you have known for many years. Everyone seems to take sides in a mega p*** take in more recent times. Times before there seemed a show of respect

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Twigtom said:

Everyone seems to take sides in a mega p*** take in more recent times. Times before there seemed a show of respect

Don't go there, there's nothing to do, it's too hot and uncomfortable and they're all primitive know nothing country bumpkins.

I went once, that was enough, never again.

I know what you mean .... some has to do with miscommunication or not understanding english or farang not understanding thai ....

Laugh back and think to yourself about how ignorant and uneducated they are.

11 hours ago, Twigtom said:

Has anyone experienced about when you travel to the wife’s village that you are suddenly the village idiot? Even about items concerning your business or great knowledge, that you are laughed about and the wife is scoring points?

Er, no.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:53 PM, Twigtom said:

a mega p***

No - my experience is quite the opposite, very positive - - we ended up moving there and building a compound with the family... lovely people. 

*** your results may vary.. 

what is a mega p***? 

33 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

No - my experience is quite the opposite, very positive - - we ended up moving there and building a compound with the family... lovely people. 

what is a mega p***? 

Something you do to prevent your bladder from bursting.

Its a fine line between wanting respect and wanting to be worshipped as the great white benefactor.

I think you get what you give. I you turn up thinking you are genuinely superior, more intelligent etc, They should be taking the piss.

I know I would if you turned up at my place thinking you are a something special.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:53 PM, Twigtom said:

you are suddenly the village idiot?

Not you in particular, but many farang who venture to the village... 

You can't read a newspaper, you can't speak or hold a conversation just make foreign grunting sounds, which become increasingly slurred as you consume beverages and stumble around, you can't watch TV and even using the bathroom is a challenge... you even need someone to walk down the road and help you order noodle soup... needing your hand held at nearly every turn... 

Hmm. then they think you are an idiot? 

Of course, then the grunting stumbling buffoon starts calling the Thai stupid... 

What sort of timeline are we talking about ? Perhaps when you first went there you were treated with respect as a guest (or they did not want to scare the ATM away).

Now they see you as truly part of the family and as much of a fair target  for jokes and criticisms as the rest of them are ( or they think the wife has got the ATM secured).

Just laugh along with them, and when the opportunity arises turn the tables by making fun of one of them or your wife. If they laugh along with you then it is because you are now truly part of the family ( and if they don’t perhaps they think the ATM is getting angry and about to close down)

No doubt most village people are simple in that they have poor education and live in an environment that is steeped in superstition and poverty. And to a large extent may find it difficult to relate to someone from a different culture and background. If you try and see it from their position maybe they are just trying to have some interaction with you. If you take the time to play along and interact in a pleasant manner you may find that in time you are accepted and respected for who you are, not just a strange farang with a lot of money and a superior attitude. It is also a way to show respect to your partner who has a connection and history with these people that goes back to childhood. A lot of the view points here seem to so tarnished and mean spirited, it makes you wonder why these posters are even in Thailand in the first place.

I think visiting the wife's village is a good way to assess her character. If you are sure she is a facilitator in making you the target of jokes and ridicule, what does that mean??????? You are perhaps reminded of the choice you made to marry her.

If you cannot speak fluent Thai, then there is a degree of speculation on your part. I know from experience the education of your partner can be a large factor in these kinds of situations. I had both an uneducated country bumpkin as a wife and an educated lady as well. The experiences were like night and day.

I think most guys who marry the village ladies are not surprised when they have to wade through the ignorance. However, when you marry for sex or beauty, this is another way you pay for the sex.

I know I speak in generalities but I gauge my story against the many stories I've heard from friends and acquaintances. The guys who married the older, every day looking ladies seem to fare much better than the old fart with the young tart.

32 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Not you in particular, but many farang who venture to the village... 

You can't read a newspaper, you can't speak or hold a conversation just make foreign grunting sounds, which become increasingly slurred as you consume beverages and stumble around, you can't watch TV and even using the bathroom is a challenge... you even need someone to walk down the road and help you order noodle soup... needing your hand held at nearly every turn... 

Hmm. then they think you are an idiot? 

Of course, then the grunting stumbling buffoon starts calling the Thai stupid... 

I'd somewhat agree with this, needing the wife / GF to do anything is rather embarrising, see it in the city's as well.

I've recently renewed driving licenses, where is live and English is not commonly spoken, my Thai is ok and i think that gets a lot more respect from the locals that getting wifey along and looking like a dumb mute.

Also unless wife / GF is a trained translator quite a lot can be misunderstood in translation.

FYI - i don't really care what the local village people think, they live small sheltered lives who's been told what to do and how to act since birth.

11 minutes ago, jingjai9 said:

visiting the wife's village is a good way to assess her character

Very true... the apple does not fall from the tree - - keep your eyes open... if the parents drink and gamble, you will likely have trouble down the road.. 

Learn Thai, you are after all living in Thailand as a Guest!  You might also consider that perhaps they would very much like to communicate with you, but you don't speak or understand their language, which they find embarassing.  Thais when in an embarassing situation will often laugh to cover the embarassment.  The ball is in your court, not theirs!

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

what is a mega p***? 

I did the same as you and my experience is similar except for one area. I am partial disabled and because of that I am not able to perform the maintenance work around my house. When I tell the person who is doing the work how it should be done I am told I don't know what I am talking about. I try reminding them that I am a mechanical engineer but that just falls on deaf ears. Then I remind them that farangs usually earn more money in a year than they do in their lifetimes - more deaf ears. So I just insist it be done my way or I will pay someone else who will.

On 6/4/2019 at 8:19 PM, BritManToo said:

Don't go there, there's nothing to do, it's too hot and uncomfortable and they're all primitive know nothing country bumpkins.

I went once, that was enough, never again.

So true, their daughters already are useless, so I can imagine the rest of the family !!!

19 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Learn Thai, you are after all living in Thailand as a Guest!  You might also consider that perhaps they would very much like to communicate with you, but you don't speak or understand their language, which they find embarassing.  Thais when in an embarassing situation will often laugh to cover the embarassment.  The ball is in your court, not theirs!

yes, sure, when you speak Thai they are so interesting to talk... about food or weather ! 555+ So cute foreigners dreaming their life...

On 6/5/2019 at 6:21 AM, Puchaiyank said:

Many village folk are ignorant and superstitious...they laugh at things they do not understand...

Show YOUR contempt...laugh back at them...????

And sleep with one eye open afterwards. 

2 minutes ago, myjawe said:

yes, sure, when you speak Thai they are so interesting to talk... about food or weather ! 555+ So cute foreigners dreaming their life...

It probably depends on the IQ of the foreigner.

I suspect the foreigners who find rural Thais interesting are probably confessing their low IQs to the rest of us.

It always amazed me that stupid people often don't know they're stupid.

Didn’t u get the Memo?

Didnt u read the Brochure on the plane.

Visiting the Village is in the “NEVER DO” column.

YOU.....will be paying for the biggest party you ever say while they all sit around joking in Thai.....what a Buff-aRO......you are.

Relatives (that are not related) will come from far n wide and you will be continuously asked if you can help this uncle or this aunt.......and u can’t say NO.

IF you are smart........just walk away now, better yet RUN.......it only gets worse n worse and worse.

Only a bar girl less than 1/2 your age would expose u to this.

it gives here and her family great prestige in the Village to bring home a trained Buff-aRO..........but his only trick he is trained to do is go to the ATM as directed.

LEAVE NOW.......or continue to suffer financial drain

21 minutes ago, Spike1938 said:

I did the same as you and my experience is similar except for one area. I am partial disabled and because of that I am not able to perform the maintenance work around my house. When I tell the person who is doing the work how it should be done I am told I don't know what I am talking about. I try reminding them that I am a mechanical engineer but that just falls on deaf ears. Then I remind them that farangs usually earn more money in a year than they do in their lifetimes - more deaf ears. So I just insist it be done my way or I will pay someone else who will.

Dealing with contractors anywhere can be beyond challenging... I have friends in USA pulling their hair out... thankfully, this is not my area of expertise... my wife takes care of that, though the few times where there were conflicts, it was quite interesting to get them resolved... good luck to you - - it is a challenge for everyone, I think. 

From having read again the original post, I don't see that his ridicule is the result of his lack of Thai communication skills or anything that he is doing or not doing in front of the relatives. My guess is that over time his wife has gossiped with the relatives by phone or internet about every facet of their marriage and without his knowledge has made him out to be fool before he ever made his recent visit to the village. They are simply following the wife's lead, so this guy is taking the p**s because of his wife's utter betrayal. If she cared anything about the guy she would be doing everything possible to give him "big face" at every opportunity and would defend his reputation. That's what a loyal and trustworthy wife does. If she's not doing that then he's got bigger problems than having the local yokels degrade him. 

Archived