Opinions

Twigtom

It's not just villages :We farangs are considered idiots all over Siam:In cities and tourist spots the contempt is spread over a multitude of Farangs, therefore not as noticeable, in the sticks you might be the only target for their disdain:You appear and they have suddenly found prey for their xenophobia and to project their own retardedness onto. Nothing funnier than a hua daeng or baksida making an appearance in Nakhon ngo. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, JaiLai said:

I'd somewhat agree with this, needing the wife / GF to do anything is rather embarrising, see it in the city's as well.

I've recently renewed driving licenses, where is live and English is not commonly spoken, my Thai is ok and i think that gets a lot more respect from the locals that getting wifey along and looking like a dumb mute.

Also unless wife / GF is a trained translator quite a lot can be misunderstood in translation.

FYI - i don't really care what the local village people think, they live small sheltered lives who's been told what to do and how to act since birth.

FYI - i don't really care what the local village people think, they live small sheltered lives who's been told what to do and how to act since birth.  

Hmmm. As well as I can remember I was also raised that way. I think nearly all organisms higher than insects are raised that way. It's called 'parenting'.

I can't say it's true for sure, but I've been told I didn't know how to eat or walk when I was born and would even s*it my pants. Shameful I know, but there it is!

Hmmm. As well as I can remember I was also raised that way. I think nearly all organisms higher than insects are raised that way. It's called 'parenting'.

I can't say it's true for sure, but I've been told I didn't know how to eat or walk when I was born and would even s*it my pants. Shameful I know, but there it is!

Thais + parenting = non existent

Thanks for that, funniest thing I’ve read today ( so far )

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Lot of ignorance shown here. Yes. the average village Thai does have a poor academic education, but there education comes from survival skills learnt in the village. My father-in-law can produce a kilo of fish before Breakfast caught in the paddy fields, knows which wild plants you can eat or use for medicine, and can do practically any D-I-Y job around the house or garden (his D-I-Y aren't great, but better than mine).

Now tell me, if our westernised civilisation collapses, and you have to survive in rural Thailand, who is the idiot now?

6 minutes ago, rickudon said:

My father-in-law can produce a kilo of fish before Breakfast caught in the paddy fields

I can produce as many kilo of fish as you like when Makro is open.

Money is more important than hunting skills in modern society.

And when Makro doesn't open?

Do you remember during the floods in 2012, when the supermarket shelves began to empty because most of what they sold was made in Bangkok?

Anyway, my point is that rural thais have a different skill set. Just like I wouldn't let a bricklayer fix my computer, and he wouldn't let me build his house ...

And when Makro doesn't open?

Do you remember during the floods in 2012, when the supermarket shelves began to empty because most of what they sold was made in Bangkok?

Anyway, my point is that rural thais have a different skill set. Just like I wouldn't let a bricklayer fix my computer, and he wouldn't let me build his house ...

2nd paragraph - you contradict yourself coz this is exactly what you’re letting your FIL do, DIY on stuff he’ll know nothing about.

A lot of Thais for example think they’re good at DIY electrical work, even the trained ones are bad - very dangerous.

Anyway good luck, up to you...

He doesn't do electrical work, I'm not that stupid. He does things like make fences, fix leaks in water pipes and a bit of concreting. Also builds farm buildings (e.g. huts for ducks). Nearly everything done with recycled materials..... He doesn't spend a baht unless he has to. 

I'm not allowed to do any work that might be dangerous ...... keep ATM safe!

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 12:29 PM, 30la said:

learned that we are idiots, we know nothing and if we want to be "accepted" we must always keep the wallet open ...

Better to just avoid going there. Let her go by herself.

The village gossips always gathered under the MIL's house and talked about "the farang". I'm happy I didn't know what they were saying.

Never got laughed at though.

OP must have done something to elicit that reaction.

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:23 PM, JaiLai said:

2nd paragraph - you contradict yourself coz this is exactly what you’re letting your FIL do, DIY on stuff he’ll know nothing about.

A lot of Thais for example think they’re good at DIY electrical work, even the trained ones are bad - very dangerous.

Anyway good luck, up to you...

I had a laugh at them once, when they redid my safe electrical wiring, and melted all the cable, and light switch to an outside light I'd installed. The clown they used rewired it direct to earth with no circuit breaker.

Archived