Looking like a Hi So Farang or under the radar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At no point would I consider someone to be HiSo just because they were on a sport bike, although I do appreciate the bikes are expensive. 

I'd appreciate the cool factor of the bike and give the guy/girl some kudos for riding a cool bike, but to me HiSo is about class, education and upbringing in addition to wealth.  Plenty of LoSo people who can afford a big bike.

Each to his own.  I would never advertise wealth in the LOS.  My bike is a 23 years old 125cc Honda, and though properly maintained and reliable has not been cleaned in 13 years and will never win a beauty contest.  Everything works ok but it looks absolutely worthless & I am relaxed about parking it almost anywhere.  My intention is that no-one looks at my bike & decides that it is worth stealing or that the owner is worth robbing.  

33 minutes ago, Homburg said:

Each to his own.  I would never advertise wealth in the LOS.  My bike is a 23 years old 125cc Honda, and though properly maintained and reliable has not been cleaned in 13 years and will never win a beauty contest.  Everything works ok but it looks absolutely worthless & I am relaxed about parking it almost anywhere.  My intention is that no-one looks at my bike & decides that it is worth stealing or that the owner is worth robbing.  

Your first 4 words says it all.

I am from a humble family and my MODO of life is to keep it a low profile as possible, not be flashy and attract unnecessary attention from anybody that includes police, IMO, neighbors, etc., and most important the tax people

I ride bikes because I love riding them, the love affair started when I got my first moped when I was 15 years old and the love affair still lasts to this day over 40 years later.
Hi-so or not, I don't care, not interested but I buy my big bikes based on what I want/need and not much else.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I get lots of attention from young girls anytime I go to near by 7-11. I ride a Zoomer X. I’m not sure if it’s me or my bike getting so much attention. I named it “Mini Harley”. Yes It must my motorcycle, definitely. 

Materialistic. Should be a passing phase. 

On the other hand, if you've got the dosh and really like big bike riding, not just for flash/status symbol, then why not!  Enjoy the fruits of your labor.  Can't take it with you when you die.

I cruise on a 2 year old maroon Scoopi.  Chicks dig it!  ????

incidently, the meaning of high- so in Thailand is someone who pretends to be upper-class when not. It's considered a very strong insult. I guess there are many Thais and farangs fall into this category.

3 minutes ago, gamini said:

incidently, the meaning of high- so in Thailand is someone who pretends to be upper-class when not. It's considered a very strong insult. I guess there are many Thais and farangs fall into this category.

Yes me.....:stoner:

A few years back rode my PCX from Chiang Mai to Surin while riding around looking for my hotel I noticed a PCX following me. Finally made it to the hotel rode in and parked my shadow pulled up and parked. We introduced out selves he was a kid about 16 or 17 years old, his question straight off was wow you rode that all the way from Chiang Mai, I said yes, he asked how did you do that, I say I got on it and went down the road, very easy. Before leaving he gave me his phone number and says if you have any problems call me. People notice what interest them.

What I am saying is that although the sport bike is cool it can definitely not be your only means of transportation. 

I've yet to see anyone looking cool on a motorbike, usually its older guys trying to look younger and it doesn't work

Personally, if I buy something 'nice' - I buy it for me, not to get other people to look at me. I have a 'big bike' in Thailand, I bought it because I love bikes and the weather in Thailand is more favourable for biking. Have you ever considered that the people you think are looking at you with envy and thinking how wonderful you are, may actually be thinking you're just a posing pratt?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've yet to see anyone looking cool on a motorbike, usually its older guys trying to look younger and it doesn't work

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

When I see a big bike in Thailand, I just speculate on the life expectancy of the owner.

Ah, the non motorcyclists have arrived on the thread...

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:46 PM, Farangwithaplan said:

The attention wasn't from the Screaming Eagle's straight through pipes with people going "what the hell is that noise?", was it? ????

The attention at hotels you speak of still happens regularly. I still have a quiet chuckle when I get ushered in to "superbike" parking at shopping malls and the like on my almost agricultural CB500X. I'm not complaining though. Except for when the epoxy flooring in the superbike parking area is wet and as slippery as nuru gel.

Forget the CB500X......please expand on the nuru gel!!

7 hours ago, seancbk said:

At no point would I consider someone to be HiSo just because they were on a sport bike, although I do appreciate the bikes are expensive. 

I'd appreciate the cool factor of the bike and give the guy/girl some kudos for riding a cool bike, but to me HiSo is about class, education and upbringing in addition to wealth.  Plenty of LoSo people who can afford a big bike.

Explain class.

I understand education and upbringing and have met a few broke people who have had both. But class???? What is that?

I also understand motorcycles and the enthusiasts of the machine having been one for over 50 years. It breaks all boundaries with people from all backgrounds. Snobs excepted I guess.

7 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

My 77 year old Uncle in the UK has always been bike mad, he just bought himself an Aprilia 1100.  

He definitely looks cool on his bike.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:16 PM, Farangwithaplan said:

Unless you live at or north of Petchabun, or near Burriram or Petburi tracks I'd question the logic in owning a 'sweet sports bike.'

Sports bike are designed to be ridden like they have just been stolen. I couldn't think of any other reason I would want to own one. They are terrible commuter vehicles.

Much better ways to attract women's attention than to pull up outside a 7-11 and sit on it like a teenager.

Like supercars, the appeal is to have the horsepower, not use it.

Every single vehicle people use would be adequate with just 50 HP for the speed limits we have. Yet even the cheapest cars have over 70HP.

On 6/8/2019 at 1:29 PM, Lacessit said:

When I see a big bike in Thailand, I just speculate on the life expectancy of the owner.

I just assume a weekend rental, like the wanna-ballers that rent Lambos in Vegas.....

2 hours ago, MatteoBassini said:

Like supercars, the appeal is to have the horsepower, not use it.

Every single vehicle people use would be adequate with just 50 HP for the speed limits we have. Yet even the cheapest cars have over 70HP.

Have you heard about the "fun" factor when riding a powerful bike?

Riding my big bike puts a smile/grin on my face each time, not going flat out but perhaps gun it in 2nd though 3rd gear and then ease off again, using all the power but within a safe envelope on the road.  

Before I was happy with 65hp but believe me, 115hp is better, much better.

I never owned a powerful car but I am sure the same thing applies here. No wonder there are so many motor-heads around.

But yes, strictly speaking; 50hp would be adequate on a MC but limited fun factor for many of us.

Archived