Doctors issue leptospirosis warning as rainy season begins

webfact

Doctors issue leptospirosis warning as rainy season begins

4pm1.jpg

Picture: TheBangkokInsight

A leading Thai public health official has revealed that there have been 622 cases of leptospirosis resulting in eight deaths in Thailand since the start of the year. 

The disease is called "loke khai chee nuu" (disease of rat urine) in Thai.

It principally comes from rat urine but is also present in dogs, cats, cows goats and sheep. 

Agricultural workers are particularly susceptible when wading through flood waters and mud. 

Symptoms are usually fever, headache, red eyes and muscle pain in the lower part of the body principally the calves of the leg. 

Ways to avoid the disease are not to wade unprotected through water and mud, wear gloves and boots, eradicated mice and rats and maintain hand washing and cleanliness especially after contact with water and mud. 

Dr Sukhum Kanchanaphimai said there had been eight deaths from the disease in the period from January to May 24th. 

More cases are expected now that the rainy season is beginning to bite in Thailand, he told TheBangkokInsight. 

Source: TheBangkokInsight

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-06-05

"A leading Thai public health official has revealed that there have been 622 cases of leptospirosis resulting in eight deaths in Thailand since the start of the year."

Not to worry. Somchai sold me the magic amulet that will protect me from all diseases. It cost a bit, but I will make up the difference since I don't need to buy condoms ever again. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

It principally comes from rat urine but is also present in dogs, cats, cows goats and sheep. 

Something else for those "dogy do gooders"  feeding strays to think about.

6 hours ago, johng said:

Another disease that is present in Rats Urine is a particularly nasty thing called " Weils Disease ".

Starts off like a cold , then Flu like symptoms, and then it attacks the nervous system, and eventually death follows for many poor people.

Very nasty, 

Another disease that is present in Rats Urine is a particularly nasty thing called " Weils Disease ".
Starts off like a cold , then Flu like symptoms, and then it attacks the nervous system, and eventually death follows for many poor people.
Very nasty, 
I'm not sure if they are one and same disease ?

1 hour ago, johng said:
1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:
Very nasty, 

I'm not sure if they are one and same disease ?

Yes they are the same.

Lepto is one of  many diseases that the rain season can increase the incidence of.

That so many can be offhand or dismissive of  warnings to be aware should be a lot more thoughtful !

Environmental conditions  have as much to do with endemic disease as any lack of hygiene precautions.

Warnings  such as these  are a heads up  for greater precautionary  vigilance in light of  seasonal conditions which exacerbate risk of exposure to regardless of habitual assumption of personal hygiene practice.

Flooded  sewers drive rats that carry this disease are driven out into more public habitation for the interim potentially creating a massive increase of such risk exposure.

Archived