Snake identification

Dumbastheycome

My wife and I went out to check progress on rice farm this morning. A snake that apparently had  been located on a patch of dry soil with no vegetation suddenly and repeatedly  launched an attack at my wife starting from  about 2 metres  away. My wife, who has no great fear of snakes, knocked it down twice and on the  third  time nailed it with the  mattock she was  carrying.

I have tried  to find  a picture of it online  but so far have not found anything that clearly identifies it. My wife tells me it is potentially deadly and being so aggressive I have no doubt as most snakes  slip away if not surprised.

have attached pics  for anyone  who can identify it. It is just over 150 cms long and has a reddish tinge  at the head and tail.1041803791_snake.thumb.jpeg.b2298a02be52e6098901feefcfebdd3a.jpeg

snake.jpeg

My twopennywoth - courtesy of Vern Lovic's online snake book "Snakes of Thailand"*. Note that Ptyas Carinatus referred to on the page looks nothing like 'your' snake.

Thais often seem to confuse aggressiveness with venomous characteristics. Many reports I've seen over the years report Thai reactions similar to yours on a subject snake that weight of opinion decided in favour of a non-poisonous but definitely combative variety.

I'm no expert, so others should not feel backward in coming forward

*Was easy to download free from the internet when I did it a few years ago and may still be so.

image.png.5e4ce0be07ff6095d6bf4063d30ef8e5.png

5 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

image.png.5e4ce0be07ff6095d6bf4063d30ef8e5.png

Unfortunately not one of these. Maybe is not clear n my pics  but the snake  here has two horizontal black stripes running full length of the body on each side on upper back and two smaller on the sides which stop where the taul section is unmarked and pinkish red.

5 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Going with copper head racer, just by size and the fact that it attacked repeatedly.. Non venemous and not dangerous... Thais will generally say every snake is deadly, my wife is the same !! 

Yep. Just  checked  that and its a  match. Strange that it  was so  aggressive when the description suggests  would prefer to do the exit. Maybe it has eggs or about to.  My wife is usually  about right with snakes as to dangerous or not. She did not actually want to kill it but because it  kept at her she did. They are  venomous enough to need a hospital visit it  says.

She has often been  called on to  remove snakes  from peoples  houses  because  she has no  great fear, just caution. But paradoxically she is  paranoid in the extreme of  caterpillars ! lol

Thanks for the  id.

Archived