Received Form 7162 From SSA

racyrick

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Pib said:

I'm in Bangkok....neither me or my family member have rec'd the form yet....hopefully soon.

Update: Rec'd mine today, 6 Jun 19, but my family member did not...hopefully it will show-up soon as we both have exactly the same address.    

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. In Jomtien. Sorry to be a pessimist but if it doesn't ever arrive is there a way to ask them to send it again?
Yes I realize it's way too early to worry about that but surely it happens.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You can request thru Manila, but they will send another one in September if they do not receive your form back.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Nope. In Jomtien. Sorry to be a pessimist but if it doesn't ever arrive is there a way to ask them to send it again?
Yes I realize it's way too early to worry about that but surely it happens.

They will send another one if they have not received the first one after 60 days. If you do not get the 2nd one by about 90 days from now you would need to contact Manila about it.

14 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sorry to be a pessimist but if it doesn't ever arrive is there a way to ask them to send it again?

Have you ever received any mail from the SSA (1099-SSA, annual benefits letter, this 7162) at your current address? I assume you've provided your current address?

You can always download the form, and mail it in, maybe add a cover letter or note advising on your current address?

(the address on my return envelope)

Social Security Administration

PO Box 7162

Wilkes Barre, PA 18767-7162

United States of America

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms/images/SSA7/G-SSA-7162-OCR-SM-1.pdf

just went to the local P.O. today and the 7162 had arrived...it coulda arrived sooner, dunno...hadn't been in a couple of weeks...

interestingly the date at the top of the document is 'JUN. 07 2019' which is today, the IRS woulda needed to dispatch their own courier pigeon from Wilkes Barre to have it get here that fast to gently deposit the document in my local P.O. Box...

On 6/5/2019 at 7:41 PM, Pib said:

I'm in Bangkok....neither me or my family member have rec'd the form yet....hopefully soon.

They are mailed from Wilkes Barre PA on the 15th of May. If they don't receive a return by 1 September they send put another form.  If they don't receive a return by the end of the year they stop your payments starting with the February payment next year.  I live in the boonles of Nakhon Sawan Province and haven't received mine yet but mail delivery here is only once a week unless there is an EMS.  Nothing to worry about yet!

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I just started to receive SS this year. Am I right to assume I won't get a letter till next year?

It am sure you will be getting one.

I got one that was sent 2 months after I got my first payment.

Mine has been on the way to them since the 7th (same date shown on form) by registered mail (104 baht). It has been at Suvarnabhumi since Saturday.

Checked USPS tracking this morning and they have a record of it. Set up tracking emails so I will get a update every time it moves or some action is done.

Mailing via registered mail from Thailand is not all it's cracked up to be as the tracking can suck and apparently extends arrival time by weeks.  Recently I established an address in Houston Texas....a mail forwarding company where I get notification with image scan same day of any mail arriving. 

Wanted to do a test to see how long it takes envelopes mailed from Thailand as regular air mail and registered air mail to arrive the U.S.  Both envelopes, one registered and one not, mailed at the same time at a Bangkok post office.   Mailing cost of envelope via regular air mail Bt19.  Mailing cost of envelope via "registered" air mail Bt19 + Bt85 for registration for total of Bt104.

First  test completed as both envelopes arrived.  However, the second test is still in progress because the registered envelope is still missing in action/hasn't arrived yet.

Results of 1st test...Bangkok to Houston...both envelopes mailed 3 May 2019

- Sent regular air mail 3 May: arrived Houston in 11 days.

- Sent via registered air mail 3 May: arrived 24 May...that's 21 days.

-- Extra 10 days due to being stuck in customs in New York City.  Envelope probably shipped in same container as registered "packages" which go thru customs.  This is just a simple envelope with one piece of paper inside.  Until the entire container for registered items (envelopes and packages) clears customs everything in the container gets delayed.   Yes, New York City...which is one of the East Coast International Mail arrival ports.  I guess Thai Post shipped the envelope west thru the Middle East/Europe.  Tracking on the Thai Postal System and USPS was excellent.

Results of 2nd test...Bangkok to Houston...both envelopes mailed 15 May 2019 (Still incomplete due as the registered air mail has not arrived after 26 days)

- Sent regular air mail 15 May: arrived Houston 29 May in 14 days

- Sent registered air mail 15 May: has not arrived as of 10 June...still missing in action after 26 days.

-- Thai Postal System shows registered envelope arriving and departing Swampy airport 16 May.  USPS only shows Thai Postal System has shipped the envelope but no arrival yet in the U.S....USPS still awaiting arrival.  Probably some tracking scan was not properly accomplished breaking the tracking chain...I can no longer see where the envelope is at.  For this second test mailing the registered tracking has sucked....other than showing it departed Swamp airport by the Thai Postal System and the USPS tracking saying they are awaiting the envelope from Thailand.  Yeap....the tracking has sucked. My guess is it indeed did arrive the U.S. already...probably stuck in NYC customs like the first registered envelope.  Hopefully it will arrive Houston this week (or not).  I will update once (if) it arrives.

In closing, above tests reflect what I see when googling the subject....that is mailing time from Thailand to the U.S.....the mailing time can be HIGHLY VARIABLE...can get there pretty fast....or can take a long time....maybe even go MIA.  And sending via registered mail should give a person a warm fuzzy of where the envelope is at....did it arrive...if the tracking works properly.....but at the same time it could very well slow down delivery of the mail at least based on my two tests.   I can also say the mailing time from the U.S. to Thailand (i.e., coming to Thailand) via plain old first class mail ($1.15 postage) has been excellent...have had around a half dozen envelopes arrive my Bangkok address from the U.S. over the last month....mailing time was 10-14 days.

For the past 12 years I've sent mine via plain old air mail not registered and never had a problem..  The problem has always been receiving it here , even the 90 day from immigration 100 kilometers away.   I get postal delivery once a week and am still awaiting bills from Bangkok due in May.

39 minutes ago, tutsiwarrior said:

once I returned the 7162 using the enclosed envelope by thai registered mail and it never arrived...re sent using EMS at considerable cost then no probs...

couldn't see that there was a tracking facility for the thai registered mail...

Use the same Thai Postal and US Postal tracking sites to track registered mail as EMS mail.

8 hours ago, Pib said:

Mailing via registered mail from Thailand is not all it's cracked up to be as the tracking can suck and apparently extends arrival time by weeks.

Not worried about how long it takes to get there. Last one took about 3 weeks.

Better than waiting about 3 months (or longer) to know if it got there or not and having the 2nd one to show up.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:02 AM, Pib said:

Results of 2nd test...Bangkok to Houston...both envelopes mailed 15 May 2019 (Still incomplete due as the registered air mail has not arrived after 26 days)

- Sent regular air mail 15 May: arrived Houston 29 May in 14 days

- Sent registered air mail 15 May: has not arrived as of 10 June...still missing in action after 26 days.

Update on the 2nd mailing test.  The  MIA registered air mail envelope showed up at the USPS New York City International receiving center today and a few hours later went into Customs.  If it takes approx 10 days to get thru Customs like the 1st test mailing plus another 5 days or so to get from NYC to Houston then the total mailing time will be around 40 days.   40 days in comparison to the two regular (unregistered) air mail envelopes arrived in 11 and 14 days.  Yeap, sure appears registered mail slows down the mailing time by a good amount. 

Since I need to go the post office in a few days to mail-off my 90 days address report I'm also going to do a 3rd test mailing this week to the US...just like the previous two tests of one registered air mail envelope and one regular air mail envelope.  See if the registered envelope gets slowed down significantly again due to going thru US customs....probably because registered envelopes are probably shipped in the same container as registered packages....packages which customs probably looks at closely/at a high percentage rate.

In my experience registered mail is less likely to totally (permanently) vanish than regular mail..in fact I've never had a Registered mail vanish whereas it has happened to me a number of time with regular mail. (And 100% of the time for anything sent through the Don Muang post office until I caught on and stopped using it...this was back before opening of Suvanabhumi. As best as I could figure out they simply threw out everything given to them to mail, or at least did if given by a foreigner., likely figuring no possible blow back as people were leaving the country anyhow).

But even sent from my local post office, who are nice folks and do not toss letters out, I would say about 15-20% of mail sent by regular air mail disappears.

So while it may be slower I think it is more reliable. I only use regular air mail for things I would not much  mind if lost.

If you want both reliable and fast then EMS.

Archived