Received Form 7162 From SSA

racyrick

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just curious... a 19 pound USPS Priority mail package to Thailand is a pretty expensive mailing....  A suitable kind of hydraulic pump isn't available here closer to "home"?  You'd think agricultural machinery wouldn't be a problem here....

I could probably order it new from the John Deere dealer in Lopburi but would still have to pay sipping and a possible dealer markup.  The one that I bought from the states is a rebuilt pump, not available through the dealer, at less than 1/3 the cost of a new one.  USPS priority Mail International was $128.55., and it arrived in 6 days and 18 hours from shipment.  DHL and Fed Ex were about &200.00 and neither one has a reliable customs clearance or delivery network in Thailand, been there, done that.  USPS is the most reliable and is definitely getting quicker and improving their tracking software with Thai Post.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, wayned said:

I could probably order it new from the John Deere dealer in Lopburi but would still have to pay sipping and a possible dealer markup.  The one that I bought from the states is a rebuilt pump, not available through the dealer, at less than 1/3 the cost of a new one.  USPS priority Mail International was $128.55., and it arrived in 6 days and 18 hours from shipment.  DHL and Fed Ex were about &200.00 and neither one has a reliable customs clearance or delivery network in Thailand, been there, done that.  USPS is the most reliable and is definitely getting quicker and improving their tracking software with Thai Post.

Thanks!  That explains it... Ya, I was just curious as to why..... Getting a rebuilt would explain it.

As for sending packages of any value, definitely, avoid especially DHL and even FedEx if at all possible. USPS or similar is the way to go.  I shudder to think what DHL would have charged you if they had gotten their grubby hands on your package.

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Thanks!  That explains it... Ya, I was just curious as to why..... Getting a rebuilt would explain it.

As for sending packages of any value, definitely, avoid especially DHL and even FedEx if at all possible. USPS or similar is the way to go.  I shudder to think what DHL would have charged you if they had gotten their grubby hands on your package.

DHL was &203.77.  The one and only package that was shipped to me DHL as a low cost box containing spices.  It was shipped from the east coast and was delivered by the local motorbike noodle vendor 2 weeks after DHL said that it was lost.I order a lot of parts from the US as I bought three John Deere combines and had them disassembled, containerized and shipped here where we assembled them  All of the JD parts prices are ridiculous.  I buy bearings and gatherer chains from China.  One bearing in a JD box from the JD dealer was 5600 baht.  I got the same bearing in a brown box with the JD number stamped on it from china for 600 baht.  They manufacture bearings for JD and supply them to me in Brown boxes but still have the JD part number stamped on them.

7 minutes ago, wayned said:

I buy bearings and gatherer chains from China.  One bearing in a JD box from the JD dealer was 5600 baht.  I got the same bearing in a brown box with the JD number stamped on it from china for 600 baht.  They manufacture bearings for JD and supply them to me in Brown boxes but still have the JD part number stamped on them.

I just forwarded your post to Donald.  I expect he'll mail you a "tariff" bill of Bt5,000 via registered mail.  ????

46 minutes ago, Pib said:

I just forwarded your post to Donald.  I expect he'll mail you a "tariff" bill of Bt5,000 via registered mail.  ????

And I will retaliate with his normal tactics;

First I'll flatter him, then I'll bully him and finally, when all else fails, I'll sue him, but I'll never pay him a dime!

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked the statis of my registered mail.

Sent June 17.

Arrived Suvannabhimu June 18

left Swampy June 18

the next entry is from July 2, shown below. I assume the 2 weeks between was processing/clearance at the airport? And would "accept" mean that they sent it on? Nothing to indicate actually delivered to SS in USA.

United States of America (USJFKA)

Accept

56 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Just checked the statis of my registered mail.

Sent June 17.

Arrived Suvannabhimu June 18

left Swampy June 18

the next entry is from July 2, shown below. I assume the 2 weeks between was processing/clearance at the airport? And would "accept" mean that they sent it on? Nothing to indicate actually delivered to SS in USA.

United States of America (USJFKA)

Accept

Most likely stuck in Customs a New York JFK airport where Customs and USPS are located....could be in Customs for a few days to around a week based on my two completed test mailings of registered mail.   

Take a look just above the last status update to make sure it doesn't say "Inbound Into Customs."  It may not just yet...but it probably will in a day or two.   

If it goes into Customs once it comes out you will see  a status change to "Arrived USPS Regional Facility NY Distribution Center" which is at JFK also.  Once it says that Customs has handed it back to USPS, then USPS will continue it's movement to the final address.

Oh, by the way, for my 3rd test mailing of a regular airmail envelope and a registered airmail envelope mailed to Houston Texas both of which mailed at the same time on 14 June from my Bangkok post office, the regular airmail arrived Houston 25 June...only took a total of 11 days to get from Bangkok to Houston. 

Now the registered airmail envelope also mailed on 14 June to Houston still hasn't arrived JFK...it's Missing in Action just like what happened on my 2nd test mailing but eventually showed up at JFK after approx 25 days....25 days from Bangkok To New York...took a couple days to get thru Customs and then several more days to get to Houston.  It did arrive my address in Houston (I received an image of its arrival in my Houston mailbox); however, the USPS tracking system never showed it arriving...still showing it out for delivery in Houston.  

Yeap, based on my three test mailings Registered Airmail takes at least twice as long to reach its final US destination than regular airmail....and based on the 2nd mailing you may not get confirmation it actually arrived the final-final destination.

sent mine 29 June registered airmail and have been tracking using thai post and USPS...it musta fell into a black hole at the airport as there hasn't been any movement since then...

but that's not unusual...hopefully the SSA will receive it before I get turfed out of my home of 17 years per the new immigration regs and no longer have an address...

1 hour ago, tutsiwarrior said:

sent mine 29 June registered airmail and have been tracking using thai post and USPS...it musta fell into a black hole at the airport as there hasn't been any movement since then...

but that's not unusual...hopefully the SSA will receive it before I get turfed out of my home of 17 years per the new immigration regs and no longer have an address...

Mine took a whopping 6 days from the time that I mailed it in rural Nakhon Sawan Province until it arrived at the post office in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. This is the first time that I used registered mail.  Assuming that it got delivered to the SSA facility I will have to rely on the person that opened the envelope to not throw the form in the garbage and put the envelope in the pile that the form should have gone!

6 hours ago, wayned said:

Mine took a whopping 6 days from the time that I mailed it in rural Nakhon Sawan Province until it arrived at the post office in Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania. This is the first time that I used registered mail.  Assuming that it got delivered to the SSA facility I will have to rely on the person that opened the envelope to not throw the form in the garbage and put the envelope in the pile that the form should have gone!

Me think your mailing was "not" the norm based on the results being reported by others and myself above.

Based on my three test mailing results done done over the past two months, an envelope sent via registered airmail in comparison to being sent regular airmail takes a lot longer to arrive. 

Below is an update on those three test mailings I did....3rd test mailing still in progres   Each test mailing was one envelope via air mail and then another registered air mail envelope.  Mailed at the same time at my local Bangkok post office to a Texas address.  Just simple envelopes with one page inserted inside.

1st mailing 3 May

- Air Mail: Delivered 14 May.  Total 11 days

- Registered Air Mail: Delivered 24 May.  Total 21 days

Note: Delay in New York City Customs/USPS Center caused the extra 10 days for the registered air mail.  Apparently to the US they mail westward thru the Middle East/Europe....or maybe fly a North Pole route.

2nd mailing 15 May

- Air Mail: Delivered 29 May.  Total 14 days

- Registered Air Mail: Delivered 17 Jun.  Total 33 days.

Note: Only a 2 day delay in NYC Custom/USPS Center but it took another 26 days to get from the Bangkok airport to NYC....kinda went MIA off the US and Thai postal tracking systems for 26 days.

Summary of 1st and 2nd test mailings: plain old air mail took 11 to 14 days to arrive.  Registered air mail took 21 to 33 days to arrive....roughly twice as long as plain old air mail.   

3rd mailing 14 Jun (not completed yet as the registered airmail is MIA)

- Airmail: Delivered 25 Jun.  Total 11 days

- Registered airmail:  Still MIA....last known location leaving Bangkok Swampy airport....has not arrived US yet....USPS tracking just shows they have received notice the originating post is preparing to dispatch the piece.  

Note: this 3rd mailing is following the pattern of the 2nd test mailing.

4 hours ago, Pib said:

Me think your mailing was "not" the norm based on the results being reported by others and myself above.

Based on my three test mailing results done done over the past two months, an envelope sent via registered airmail in comparison to being sent regular airmail takes a lot longer to arrive. 

Below is an update on those three test mailings I did....3rd test mailing still in progres   Each test mailing was one envelope via air mail and then another registered air mail envelope.  Mailed at the same time at my local Bangkok post office to a Texas address.  Just simple envelopes with one page inserted inside.

1st mailing 3 May

- Air Mail: Delivered 14 May.  Total 11 days

- Registered Air Mail: Delivered 24 May.  Total 21 days

Note: Delay in New York City Customs/USPS Center caused the extra 10 days for the registered air mail.  Apparently to the US they mail westward thru the Middle East/Europe....or maybe fly a North Pole route.

2nd mailing 15 May

- Air Mail: Delivered 29 May.  Total 14 days

- Registered Air Mail: Delivered 17 Jun.  Total 33 days.

Note: Only a 2 day delay in NYC Custom/USPS Center but it took another 26 days to get from the Bangkok airport to NYC....kinda went MIA off the US and Thai postal tracking systems for 26 days.

Summary of 1st and 2nd test mailings: plain old air mail took 11 to 14 days to arrive.  Registered air mail took 21 to 33 days to arrive....roughly twice as long as plain old air mail.   

3rd mailing 14 Jun (not completed yet as the registered airmail is MIA)

- Airmail: Delivered 25 Jun.  Total 11 days

- Registered airmail:  Still MIA....last known location leaving Bangkok Swampy airport....has not arrived US yet....USPS tracking just shows they have received notice the originating post is preparing to dispatch the piece.  

Note: this 3rd mailing is following the pattern of the 2nd test mailing.

regular Thailand Post airmail has a tracking facility? good to know as I woulda thought that an item would havta be registered to have tracking available...

I have always used regular air mail as it just seems it takes a lot longer using registered mail and a lot of uncertainty if SSA actually gets it.

As a backup, I always send a copy of the form with an original signature 1 week later to make sure they at least get one copy.

As long as we don't get a second form in September, that means SSA got our forms.

As of today/6 July, my family member has not recieved the Are You Dead or Alive form.  I got mine on 6 June/a month ago.  Me and the family member have the exact same address.   I expect the family member's form was never mailed...or got lost in the mail.  SSA do have the member's correct address onfile because by looking at member's SSA online account (address is perfect....matches my address exactly....I got the form)....plus the member received a mail from SSA just a few days ago saying monthly payment had been changed to IDD as requested ...only took 10 days for that piece of mail to arrive from the States to Bangkok. 

Queried the Manila SSA office in mid June about non-receipt of the form for the family member.  Got below response about a week ago (which I expected would be the response based on googling/research before asking Manila).  And if they do need to send you the form later on because the original mailings never make it to you,  it's just the blank Are Dead or Alive form which you can download.

Manila Response 

Kindly wait for another mail from the US office this October. If you do not receive on the said month, by November contact us so that we can send you a copy. We cannot send you yet the form this time since forms are still being sent out the Wilkes Barre and it has a bar code. Rest assured that your  benefits will not be placed into suspense.

I have always used regular air mail as it just seems it takes a lot longer using registered mail and a lot of uncertainty if SSA actually gets it.

As a backup, I always send a copy of the form with an original signature 1 week later to make sure they at least get one copy.

As long as we don't get a second form in September, that means SSA got our forms.
What makes you sure they would accept a copy?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Still stuck at the has been processed through ISC New York message.

Are checking Thai Post tracking USPS tracking. Mine has not been updated on Thai tracing since it showed it went to customs on Thai Post. USPS has been sending updates since it arrived.

Took almost 3 weeks for mine to arrive a JFK from Suvarnabhumi.

Now apparently on the final leg to arrive at the SSA office in Wilkes-Barre. My last one took several days to be scanned it after it got there. Apparently they do not scan them to show received until they open bag or tray they are in when they process them.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What century do we live in that a letter takes so long?

From here to New York it apparently depends upon what airline it was sent online from here. I think they arrive in Europe somewhere and get stuck until they are sent on to New York.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK. I sent mine June 17 registered.

Got to the US July 1.

Well, all that really means is it arrived JFK Airport...next stop will probably be into Customs also at JFK...and then once it get thru Customs it's released back to USPS Regional facility also at JFK so it can continue its trek.  For example...a partial snapshot from the USPS tracking from one of my test mailings of an envelope via registered mail.

image.png.b98b06e75c3da3cbabc1d11712dd7d27.png

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Took almost 3 weeks for mine to arrive a JFK from Suvarnabhumi.

For my three test mailings from Bangkok to Houston of regular and registered airmail envelopes the first registered envelope took 8 days to get from Bangkok Swampy airport to NY, second one took 26 days, and the third one is still MIA since supposedly leaving Bangkok on 15 June which was 23 days ago.   These times are just the time to reach the US port of entry which was NY in this case....then there were additional days in Customs and then the time to get from NY to Houston.

Now the sister envelopes mailed at the same time just as regular airmail (i.e., not registered) did not incur these long mailing times...all three regular airmail envelopes arrived Houston in 14 days or less total mailing time from Bangkok to Houston....two of the three arrived in 11 days....one of three in 14 days.

Seems sending via registered airmail pretty much ensures the envelope will incur Customs delays at NY.  Probably because the registered envelopes are probably shipped in the same container as registered "packages/boxes" that routinely incur Customs inspections and everything in the Container, packages and envelopes, gets slowed down until the Customs releases the container back to the USPS. 

I also expect in many cases registered airmail packages/boxes while going by air must end-up going by bulk cargo airmail which may use infrequent cargo flights....cargo flights which don't occur until the entire plane can be filled with cargo.  Whereas regular airmail envelopes get put on commercial flights also which leave daily.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:26 AM, Jingthing said:

OK. I sent mine June 17 registered.

Got to the US July 1.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Me too.  I got mine earlier, and mailed it registered mail on June 17 and it was on a plane US bound on June 18.  Showed up in New York on July 1 and sat until yesterday.  It just left the New York City distribution center yesterday.  
This is about the same as last year.  I took less than 36 hours to transit and leave Thailand, and then took a full month to transit from New York to Wilkes-Barr, PA.  You could walk it faster than that.  Needless to say I think USPS has some serious problems.  

9 minutes ago, connda said:

Me too.  I got mine earlier, and mailed it registered mail on June 17 and it was on a plane US bound on June 18.  Showed up in New York on July 1 and sat until yesterday.  It just left the New York City distribution center yesterday.  
This is about the same as last year.  I took less than 36 hours to transit and leave Thailand, and then took a full month to transit from New York to Wilkes-Barr, PA.  You could walk it faster than that.  Needless to say I think USPS has some serious problems.  

Actually it didn't necessarily quickly leave Thailand shortly after arriving Suvarnabhumi Mail Centre in Bangkok.  Instead it really sat there for a while and/or took a slow route to New York.   I know your tracking probably says something like "Departure from OE" which can really mean below."   

Departure from outward office of exchange

"Departure from outward office of exchange" means the parcel is in the customs office ready for export customs security scan. Once it passed the scan, it will be sent to airline and the next step is "Sent/Dispatched to destination country".

52 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Mine shows the same on Thai Post tracking.

USPS tracking has been updated several times since then. Enter your tracking number on this page.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input

Thanks, UJ. It says there

Status

In-Transit

July 8, 2019

In Transit to Next Facility

which I hope means it will get there. In the meantime, a registered mail I sent to the IRS 3 days later on June 22 has already reached according to Thai tracking. Weird.

53 minutes ago, Chicksaw said:

July 8, 2019

In Transit to Next Facility

which I hope means it will get there. In the meantime, a registered mail I sent to the IRS 3 days later on June 22 has already reached according to Thai tracking. Weird.

From previous experience it is probably at the SSA in Wilkes Barre already. It appears they do not open the bag or tray they are in until they are ready to process them and that is when they scan them to show it received.

And Thai Post tracking will not show anything new until that is done.

Archived