air asia baggage scales, Not calibrated ?

Hi there just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem i had when checking in for a domestic flight in Don Muang

Had just spent over 2 days travelling from the ukm due to delays, and had 2 check bags, which weighed 29.2,kilo , 29.3 kilo when weighed on different scales at uk airport

Got my labels, boarding passes, then went to the self service check in desk, put my bags on the scales

Bloke starts shouting at me no can do, too heavy

When o looked at the weight for both bags, they showed just over 34 kilo combined, instead of the 29 kilo

told him to shove it, said it was not overweight and wanted to check them on different scales

took me to a manned desk and told me to sort out with lady staff

Put my bags on her scales, surprise, they went down to 31 kilo, but they where in those plastic trays. Told her not overweight and started to take them out of the trays to weigh on their own, but she kept saying no, no, must go in tray

could not, or would not give me explanation as to why we had such a big weight difference between check in desks  and was adamant that i was still one kilo overweight

finally lost the will to live by this time, tired and pissed off, so just dragged some items out of one bag and carried them on my arm heck in scales are supposed to be cleaned and calibrated to avoid this happening, i just wonder if they ever do this in Dong Muang, and how many people do they overcharge due to these faulty machines

unfortunately Air Asia is now the only airline that flies to m local airport, so stuck with them  

8 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

Are any scales checked and recalibrated in Thailand

probably not, but you would think in large airports, they would conform to national standards

Still waiting for Air Asia to get back to me with an explanation

might be a long wait it think 

I experienced something similar... 

Checking in for an Emirates flight to Dubai (3 bags and a bicycle ! - traveling with Wife and Child)

Total weight - 59kgs for my Wife and Son (2 bags and a bike) / 26kgs for me (1 bag)

Checking in for a further Emirates flight from Dubai to Bangkok a few days later (Wife and son flying back to Bangkok alone).  Total weight 65kgs...  (the 2 same bags and a bike)

I showed the check in staff the Baggage tickets for check in for the UK-Dubai flight and asked why there was a significant difference, we hadn't bought anything extra in Dubai. 

The check in staff were very reasonable and just permitted my Wife and son to check in 65kgs with their 60kg allowance. 

Thus: the difference between scales was 6kgs (10%) - rather a lot IMO. 

I can't see a budget airline yielding unless you carry your own handheld scales - but I can see how some may get over charged a little more than they should for for excess baggage, its not in the Airlines interest to calibrate the scales if they are in favor or making the airline more money !

19 minutes ago, monkeycu said:

Are any scales checked and recalibrated in Thailand

At my hospital in Phitsanulok, three different scales varied by 2 kg for my weight.

I shall not go into blood pressure monitors!

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Did you ask them to weigh the plastic trays separately??

Then deduct the weight of the tray from the weight shown??

Impossible without large calculator with big numbers!

12 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Did you ask them to weigh the plastic trays separately??

Then deduct the weight of the tray from the weight shown??

she insisted that they could only go on the scales inside the large plastic trays, 

thats when i gave up and just removed some items

same weight on the plane, just harder for me to carry 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I experienced something similar... 

Checking in for an Emirates flight to Dubai (3 bags and a bicycle ! - traveling with Wife and Child)

Total weight - 59kgs for my Wife and Son (2 bags and a bike) / 26kgs for me (1 bag)

Checking in for a further Emirates flight from Dubai to Bangkok a few days later (Wife and son flying back to Bangkok alone).  Total weight 65kgs...  (the 2 same bags and a bike)

I showed the check in staff the Baggage tickets for check in for the UK-Dubai flight and asked why there was a significant difference, we hadn't bought anything extra in Dubai. 

The check in staff were very reasonable and just permitted my Wife and son to check in 65kgs with their 60kg allowance. 

Thus: the difference between scales was 6kgs (10%) - rather a lot IMO. 

I can't see a budget airline yielding unless you carry your own handheld scales - but I can see how some may get over charged a little more than they should for for excess baggage, its not in the Airlines interest to calibrate the scales if they are in favor or making the airline more money !

"I can't see a budget airline yielding unless you carry your own handheld scales..."

I'm purchasing one of these:

"Longang 110 Lbs Digital Hanging Luggage Scale with Temperature Sensor and Tare Function, Battery Included"

5.1 x 1.2 x 2.4 in.

3 ounces.

I already planned to get it - make sure my bags are not over weight when packing.

But you bring up another use - backup your argument if their scales are off.

$7.95 USD at Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived