BANGKOK 20 June 2019 14:25
Oiler1fan

Nobody want to work?

In England it has got so bad. They'll do a sloppy job, overcharge and deny all responsibility. Could it be the English have learnt from the Thais?
In England you can name and shame...here ?
Also England has consumer protection laws and trading association's + a professional qualification system....yes everything cost an arm and a leg..but you have some legal rights.
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:12 PM, impulse said:

They're willing to work. 

But the OP doesn't seem willing to pay their price.

Yep, that's what I saw, reading between the lines. 

On 6/5/2019 at 9:48 PM, DaRoadrunner said:

In England it has got so bad. They'll do a sloppy job, overcharge and deny all responsibility. Could it be the English have learnt from the Thais?

Or the Thais from the English? 😉

OP - I live in Korat, not far from the Buriram border, and I've learned two things since moving here.

Firstly, do as much of the work yourself as you possibly can. Not only will it be done when you want it done, but it'll also be done better. There are a lot of good tutorials / how to... videos on YouTube. I've learned a lot from these. It really is a great feeling to be able to look at a driveway, a wall, a fence, etc. and say "I did that". 

Secondly, as others have pointed out, during certain times of the year there simply aren't any labourers around as they're back home planting or harvesting rice or cassava. While I wait for them to come and do the tasks I can't do, I just sit back, look at what I've achieved and pop open my next bottle of beer and watch the sun setting. It can be frustrating, I know, but if we don't go with the flow, it'll just upset us too much. 

Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 6:00 PM, djayz said:

Firstly, do as much of the work yourself as you possibly can. Not only will it be done when you want it done, but it'll also be done better. There are a lot of good tutorials / how to... videos on YouTube. I've learned a lot from these. It really is a great feeling to be able to look at a driveway, a wall, a fence, etc. and say "I did that". 

I can understand your thinking but having spent a lifetime in construction of one kind or another, a lot of it physically involved, I'm quite happy to give the opportunity to others to stand back with pride and say they have done a great job! it's proving to be quite difficult 😞 

• Like 1

When I built my little hotels in Phuket I employed Burmese women for most of the general labor tasks, as well as semi-skilled tasks such as laying tiles. The only Thai worker employed was my dysfunctional Thai BIL who produced very shoddy work.

I did all electrical wiring, plumbing pipes, septic tank system.  (Oops, where was that work permit?).

18 years later or so, the Burmese and my contributions are still functioning fine. My Thai BIL's efforts have all had to be reworked/repaired - by Burmese workers.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:46 PM, thequietman said:

They call me key-nok cause I won't pay more than the going rate. 

Don't you mean khee niaao or stingey.

Khee nohk means lo so!