Lawyer Mukdahan

dsfbrit

I have to go to Mukdahan to pay some money to get some title deeds changed.

I would think it would be a good idea if a lawyer attended with me to make sure everything is in order.

He/she would just need to attend the land office for about 30 minutes?

Could anyone recommend a lawyer that is trustworthy please ?

Thanks for your help

I have searched on the internet for lawyers in Mukdahan and cannot find any.

Just out of interest, so I can better understand this part of Thailand, do they have lawyers in that part of Issan, or do people have to use lawyers from Udon Thani or thereabouts?

I live in Pattaya and the place is full of lawyers it seems!!!:)

Newpix, thanks for the reply.

I suppose I could drive around to find a lawyer's office. I was not sure that they would be all that 'useful' unless recommended by somebody. I have a lawyer in Pattaya who I would trust to do any task for me. There are some that I would avoid like the plague.

Thanks again for the reply.

edit: I just re-read your email and I guess I am trying to use the second method ie: asking for local knowledge. Sadly it fell on deaf ears ????

That may be a reason for very little replies. Mukdahan is already pretty small, not too many foreigners there...hence nobody can give any help.

I am not sure how big / small the change of title deeds will be for you, but maybe fly your lawyer in to mukdahan? Or arrange a time to do a video conference with him?

That's a good idea the video conferencing. I will have a think about that.

It is not actaully for me though.

My Thai wife is having the deeds of a small piece of land transferred from a Thai woman.

I am a farang who likes to do all this via a lawyer.

My wife doesn't understand this approach. She says Thai people meet and pay money and transfer land like this a lot.

Many pay cash. We may pay cash.

Like I say, this is alien to me for sure.

Thanks for the good idea, I will  discuss that with my lawyer today,

My wife has purchased two plots of land in Mukdahan in the last 11 years.

The first time we used a lawyer (cost about 7K Baht) and realised then that he wasn't really necessary for a simple name change when both parties had agreed on a price. Therefore the second time we didn't bother and let the Land Department deal with the paperwork and saved ourselves a few quid.

This was in Kamcha-I, Mukdahan about 30km's from the main town centre.

If your wife trusts the people you are dealing with then let her do it her way, it certainly worked for us.

Best of luck.

CelticBhoy,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

Yes, I now understand the system - or think I understand all that will happen in the land Office.

1. My wife and the owner of the land will sit down with the officer who works in the land office.

2. The contract will be signed and stamped saying my wife now owns the land.

3. At this point I hand over the cash and my wife is handed the Chanote

Is that about right ?

Thanks again for your help.

33 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:

CelticBhoy,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated.

Yes, I now understand the system - or think I understand all that will happen in the land Office.

1. My wife and the owner of the land will sit down with the officer who works in the land office.

2. The contract will be signed and stamped saying my wife now owns the land.

3. At this point I hand over the cash and my wife is handed the Chanote

Is that about right ?

Thanks again for your help.

If you are legally married you should be asked to sign a document too. This is to ensure that the land is bought under "sin som rot". An agreement between husband and wife so both must agree when it comes to selling the land.

Puchooay, thanks for reply and the information.

I hope I don't have to sign anything. I don't want to be involved with the land deal at all if I can help it.

I am just paying for it in cash so that she owns her mum's land that her mum's house is built on.

Of no interest to me in the future at all.

Thanks again

On 6/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, dsfbrit said:

Puchooay, thanks for reply and the information.

I hope I don't have to sign anything. I don't want to be involved with the land deal at all if I can help it.

I am just paying for it in cash so that she owns her mum's land that her mum's house is built on.

Of no interest to me in the future at all.

Thanks again

If you are legally married you will be involved. It's the law. 

I won't be there when the contract is being set up and signed. I will be back at the hotel. It could take several hours because of the queues.

When it is time to pay the cash over I will go to the land office and meet with the seller outside and give her the cash. The Chanote is already in my wife's name and will be handed over to my wife as soon as I pay the cash.

That's how it works isn't it?

Have I got this wrong??

I needn't be there at all, I am just paying the cash because it is safer that I walk around with the cash.

13 minutes ago, dsfbrit said:

I won't be there when the contract is being set up and signed. I will be back at the hotel. It could take several hours because of the queues.

When it is time to pay the cash over I will go to the land office and meet with the seller outside and give her the cash. The Chanote is already in my wife's name and will be handed over to my wife as soon as I pay the cash.

That's how it works isn't it?

Have I got this wrong??

I needn't be there at all, I am just paying the cash because it is safer that I walk around with the cash.

My wife bought some land. I stayed away. She had the money in her bag. I received a phone call to say I had to go to the office or my wife would not be able to complete the transaction.

I was asked to sign a form and as I signed it the officer told me "it is to protect the spouse of the purchaser"

Puchooay, oh Ok, thanks a lot for the heads up on this.

I thought I could meet the lady outside and just pay over the cash.

It makes a difference, because we are taking our small dog with us, we couldn't leave him on his own in Pattaya and I won't be allowed in the land office with a dog I am told.

We found a dog friendly hotel easily enough, maybe the land office won't mind a dog entering the room for just a few minutes??

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some feedback for anyone who comes into this thread.

We were making a simple name transfer on the Chanote. My wife was paying 350K baht in cash to someone selling the land in Mukdahan.

Both my wife and the seller were Thais, there was no company/farang involvement or anything like that.

The Land Office in Mukdahan opens at 8.30 am. However, as I had dropped my wife's mother off at the hopsital at 7.30 am, we arrived there very early.

We sat outside for a while, but I noticed that people were arriving, going into the office and coming out with a ticket.

It was only 7.45 am, but it was obvious they were open to provide people with queuing numbers.

We got number 11.

I am glad we did, because by 8.30 am the place was open and full.

The process was simple. We met the seller, she had the Chanote.

I gave her 350K in cash. She had a cash counting m/c and when we both agreed it was 350K in the bundle, then I went outside to take care of our dog and my wife and the seller waited for number 11 to be called.

The clerks in the Land Office made the change on the Chanote, as people told me here on this forum, there was no need for a lawyer for this.

My wife then paid 3000 baht - for tax or the services of the clerk in processing the change - I don't know what it was for.

Anyway, it was a simple and painless process and at 10 am, my wife and I left the Land Office with the Chanote in her name and we headed back to Pattaya.

Archived