General Prayut returns as prime minister

webfact

However, Prayut’s backers – mostly junta-appointed senators and Phalang Pracharat MPs – argued that the general had already been  checked cheque by independent agencies and cleared to be the PM candidate.  The hub of independent agencies ????

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A truly historic day for Thailand. It will be remembered as the day the Thais chose to continue moving the nation backwards, chose stagnation over progress, a complete lack of vision over a plan for the future, chose cronyism over merit, chose elitism over supporting the common Thai, and chose a future full of corruption, incompetency, racism, division, no improvement of traffic or public safety, fake puritanism,  declining tourism, and environmental disaster. 

Five more years of hapless army rule is the last thing in the world this nation needs. A horribly sad day for a nation completely lacking in vision for the future. 

Strong manufacturing seems to have kept the baht up all this time. One wonders if this may have an effect on foreign investment? 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prayut returned as PM for a second term after a five-year term since the 2014 coup, beating his opponent Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit with 500 to 244 votes.

First, one has to be voted in to serve a parlimentary term. Taking over the leadership by military force does not constitute this. Secondly he is only in because of rule changes, nobbling opposition, vote buying and stacking the senate with cronnies. The people of Thailand voted against this coup leader. He has zero mandate. Having said this the military 'leadership' is now here to stay for decades. Going to the ballet box in this country is quite obviously not democratic. Only the Thai people can change this.

A sad day for thailand, but everyone knew this would be the outcome. Interesting on the voting numbers, take away the 250 appointed supporters and he won by 6 votes. Introduce anonymous voting as every other democracy has and he would certainly have lost. Proof indeed that this whole process has been rigged. But that’s the way things work here, rather like King Power getting the exclusive Duty Free contract again. Third World.

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

A truly historic day for Thailand. It will be remembered as the day the Thais chose to continue moving the nation backwards, chose stagnation over progress, a complete lack of vision over a plan for the future, chose cronyism over merit, chose elitism over supporting the common Thai, and chose a future full of corruption, incompetency, racism, division, no improvement of traffic or public safety, fake puritanism,  declining tourism, and environmental disaster. 

Five more years of hapless army rule is the last thing in the world this nation needs. A horribly sad day for a nation completely lacking in vision for the future. 

Strong manufacturing seems to have kept the baht up all this time. One wonders if this may have an effect on foreign investment? 

The Thais did not choose this. They voted against the junta. This is the result of a corruption of proccess.

23 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

A sad day for thailand, but everyone knew this would be the outcome. Interesting on the voting numbers, take away the 250 appointed supporters and he won by 6 votes. Introduce anonymous voting as every other democracy has and he would certainly have lost. Proof indeed that this whole process has been rigged. But that’s the way things work here, rather like King Power getting the exclusive Duty Free contract again. Third World.

I think many democracies don't have anonymous voting in Parliament or the Senate or House of Representatives don't they?   

Not sure the people, the financial markets... like changing and thus incertitudes. 

It may be not that great, but it is like it always was. 

So everybody is, and will, carry on. 

4 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

Interesting, the man who took Thailand with brutal force reelected as PM.

Suffice it to say that LoS is quite different.

A bit like raping the next door neighbours daughter then buying her as your wife....

somethings I just cannot get my head around!!!

The Thai Powers That Be have just proven that the 'parliamentary' route for the Thais to get their due and just representation in their own country has been fraudulently denied them. 

There is an old saying: 'When you disallow peaceful rebellion, you make violent rebellion inevitable'.

Except in Thailand.

All hope is essentially lost. I feel desperately, desperately sad for the young Thais (in particular) who so very much wanted a much better and brighter future for Thailand than this abomination that has been foisted upon them (and us).

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

The Thais and Revolution, don't see any indication that they have it in them.

I think this time around, it will be a Digital Revolution. At least until "somebody" takes a cue from big brother China to enact censorship.

3 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

While Thais argue and fret over who is best qualified to lead the country forward many neighboring countries have stabilized their governments and are focused on promoting progressive economic policies...

Thailand is poised to decline

Yeah, right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southeast_Asian_Nations_by_GDP

(This page was last edited on 14 February 2019, at 12:07 (UTC).)

10 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:
4 hours ago, webfact said:

I was born when Thailand was at the same stage of development as South Korea, but now Vietnam, which joined the economic race much later, looks set to leap ahead of Thailand,” Thanathorn said, adding “I’m ready to lead Thailand into the future.”

There are some posters here that still refuse to believe this.

For more fun fact info, he should had added that in the 60s the Philippines economy was 64% larger compared to South Korea. ????

Surprise, surprise, can it be that someone has accepted and denounced the payment offered (the attack is the best defense)? Or is the General really so loved by the people and his parliament? ????

8 minutes ago, scotinsiam said:

Great news for expats as I'm sure the prime minister will look after us now he is the legitimate leader emoji16.png

Sent from my FLA-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

We could always leave with our family and money in tow, let them fend themselves, after Napoleon and the other pigs have raped and pillaged all they can.....maybe then Thailand will move forward in the world, today they are a Banana Republic which refuses to enter the civilized world, let them wither and die if that is their choice.

I am reminded of the wonderful music of Les Miserables!
"Do you hear the people sing,
Singing the songs of angry men?
It is the music of the people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?

Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free"

If only the people and in particular the students of Thailand had the fire in their bellies that the students and people of France had at that time, and come to think of it, today, to stand up to this oppressive military regime! Thais will never be free whilst they bow and scrape to anyone who they see as superior, from the village chief, to teachers, to the lowest civil servant, right through to MPs the Prime Minister and above. Democracy is dead until people, like Future Forward Party, stand up for their rights!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

An inevitable (& planned) conclusion! Why would anyone be surprised? ????

And I bet that during the next six months little (apart from talking) or no effective action will be taken to reduce road trauma (AKA get the RTP to do their job effectively, in all enforcement areas). 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The Thais did not choose this.

Archived