General Prayut returns as prime minister

webfact

29 minutes ago, baboon said:

I wonder what measures he will put in place to prevent that from happening. Step one, rig the election. Step two, retain Article 44 by another name. He has to, or he will literally be driven mad.

He just won't turn up. He'll always be ' too busy doing important stuff ' to attend parliamentary sessions. Yingluk was often criticized for her non attendance but a reckon Prayuth will put her in the shade on that count.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps some consolation can be taken by the fact that shortly the new PM  will not have so great a degree of  automatic authority given the relatively strong  opposition in the Parliament.

Now that the inevitable has been confirmed I am more interested in the  fate of Thanathorn. That  will  give a defining answer as to which way Thailand will travel.

2 minutes ago, PJPom said:

I always thought that the perfect form of government is a benign dictatorship. The catchphrase for this is “for the greater good” .

There has been nothing benign about this mob for the past five years. Do you think that is about to change?

1 hour ago, TTSIssues said:

Introduce anonymous voting as every other democracy has and he would certainly have lost.

That's not true either in democratic republics nor in parliaments.

Elected officials are held accountable for how they vote.

In fact an elected official will typically point to their voting record to prove their worth to whatever voter base they are pursuing.

1 hour ago, TTSIssues said:

take away the 250 appointed supporters and he won by 6 votes.

Take away the 100+ MP seats won by pro-PTP candidates that were disqualified by the pro-military (my opinion) Election Commission and the approx. 10 seats given by the EC that otherwise were ineligible to several small parties, and Prayut loses outright.

The EC in essence was the final key to Prayut's election.

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

He just won't turn up. He'll always be ' too busy doing important stuff ' to attend parliamentary sessions. Yingluk was often criticized for her non attendance but a reckon Prayuth will put her in the shade on that count.

Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that.

54 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

You're joking aren't you? 

No, I really wish this. Do you not want democracy in Thailand? Do you not wish they have a skilful and really democratic leader?

Wishing is aloud, isn't it?

Now he is PM, now I want him to do his jobfor the people and well.

What is wrong with this?

Don't we all want this?

And if you think I' m sarcastic ....

Of greater worry than the political system, (which in my view will go from govt/coup cycles to a vastly over bloated state sector with a level of top down control (by a very few) never before seen in Thai history), is the state of the economy.

How many years of insanely bloated state sector funding and state sponsored investment (to keep the economic numbers up), before the whole pack of cards finally collapses?

1 minute ago, sweatalot said:

No, I really wish this. Do you not want democracy in Thailand? Do you not wish they have a skilful and really democratic leader?

Wishing is aloud, isn't it?

Now he is PM, now I want him to do his jobfor the people and well.

What is wrong with this?

And if you think I' m sarcastic ....

Please take your medication like the doctor told you.....You will feel better...

Stolen, the chance of renewal and modernization of the country. Under the old constitution, Coup Makers was threatened with the death penalty. Now the country has a PM which the majority of the population does not want. At best, a purchasable facades democracy.
Deepest condolences Thailand

I wonder how many expats will be moving to Vietnam or Cambodia or even the Philippines before the protesting start here
I'm in Vietnam now after 14 years in LOS, Condos are sold, truck sold other items mostly sold. Repatriation of the Baht is good actually as it's so stupidly strong.

Sent from my FLA-LX2 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I am a long time resident of Thailand and what is happening to this country is sad indeed. Let's look at the facts. A military general lead a coup promising elections is 6 month. After 5 years of delays, during which he and his cronies suppress political debate and re-write the constitution allowing them to pack the parliament with hand picked supporters, he is elected PM? 

Everything being equal, I would love to remain in Thailand. However, I see increasing violence toward farang (I was attacked myself on the streets of Pattaya), restrictions and barriers on renewing visas and to top it off, a pro-China-anti-West PM is "elected"....I'm well on the way to developing and executing my exit strategy. 

31 minutes ago, baboon said:

There has been nothing benign about this mob for the past five years. Do you think that is about to change?

Not really, my theoretical premise of a benign dictatorship is for the greater good, not for the few.

Most western countries and Australia are forever giving in to the vocal minorities with their often ridiculous claims therefore the tail wagging the dog.

Here at least there is no pretence, so it does not meet my definition.

5 hours ago, dcnx said:

It amazes me that an entire nation and even the world thought this was going to be a real election. This was a farce from day one.

It was so painfully obvious that I’m embarrassed for how ignorant people are for thinking otherwise.

He’s the junta leader! What did you honestly think was going to happen?

I thought the "new" PM would don a red shirt, like Chavez (now deceased) and Maduro.

2 minutes ago, PJPom said:

Not really, my theoretical premise of a benign dictatorship is for the greater good, not for the few.

Most western countries and Australia are forever giving in to the vocal minority’s with their often ridiculous claims therefore the tail wagging the dog.

Here at least there is no pretence, so it does not meet my definition.

Sorry you're happy to be told what you can and can't say? 

The alternative was a Johnny-Come-Lately who bought himself a political party, made a lot of hot air promises, and wants to be PM. That worked so well last time it was tried.

Take a look at history and the neighbouring democracies. Gone are the corrupt Shinawatras with their insane rice scam, and secret commissions when selling it, and govt. ministers running their own scam in a scam. We haven't had the fake democracy of Cambodia, the murderous drug purges of PI, or a 1MDB stealing billions. Instead a stable government and continuing prosperity.

Those of you advocating political violence should take one big reality check. Thais don't want it, and that is why 8+ million voted voted for PPRP.

A foregone conclusion since the last Consitution was drafted. Thailand will never progress politically until politicians accept that government is for the people and not to advance their self interests. History shows the military will control government at any cost.

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

What is shocking is that the Democrat party led by Abhisit decided to support Prayut. 

Actually, when Abhisit was the Democrat leader he said they would not support Prayut. He resigned after the election and they eventually elected another leader and chose to support Prayut, whereupon Abhisit resigned as an MP.

So while it is ironic that a Democrat party would vote for a coup leader, don’t blame it on Abhisit. He is one of the few Thai MPs with a conscience.

Archived