MPs ‘offered millions’ to vote for Prayut

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, thequietman said:

Do you live here? Do you know anything about how politics works here? Have you not read about the billions of baht going missing in every government since the constitution began?

I suggest you have some carrot juice. Maybe it will open your eyes wide enough, so you can see past those rose tinted spectacles you are wearing.

You do know that there is no word for logic in the Thai Language, don't you???? ????

Yes, yes and yes. ตรรกะ is the Thai word for logic.

Now why don't you stop asking irrelevant questions and try answering mine?

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

If there is sufficient evidence to convict someone on a bribery and corruption charge, any libel threat becomes irrelevant.

No it doesn't under Thai law. Defamation, whether true or not, is also a criminal as well as civil offence. 

This ain't Kansas Toto!

6 hours ago, thequietman said:

Don't be naive for christ's sake!   These are the 13 that we know about!

Do you think those others that accepted are going to step forward?

Think before you type.

Do you see the irony in this response to a poster?

9 hours ago, Ozman52 said:

I called that BS then and now. Why are all the claims coming from FFP and not from the minor parties or PTP? Who benefits from the unsupported accusations?

I don't think it is "bullshit", (unless your definition of bullshit extends to each and every opinion which does not agree with yours) but a plausible explanation of what has happened. 

I will try to explain my reasoning again.

The "traditional opposition" is essentialy class and geographically based - the rural poor in North and North Eastern Thailand. Their focus is on the movement and party created by one man - Thaksin Shinawatra - now in exile less powerful but an enduring influence. They fielded two parties, in an electoral pact which prevented them from running against each other. Traditional old fashioned repression, banning effective campaigning, harassing political activity, assorted gerrymandering, disqualifying candidates on the flimsiest of pretenses and, as a coup de grace, banning the smaller of the two parties within the timeframe which prevented an alternative or replacement from standing, served to hamstring this faction, although they still won more seats than anyone else in the parliament!

Future Forward is different, for two reasons. First it is an ideas based party, which attracts support through new ideas, concepts and intentions for government rather than the tribal links of more traditional parties, which frankly rely on their traditional policies. Secondly it is far more disparate, and relies much more on social media and the internet to make its arguments and communicate with its supporters; and is for both these reasons therefore far less susceptible to the more conventional political oppression employed against Pheu Thai. It won a significant number of seats, despite the "post-election adjustments" of the Electoral Commission, and worryingly for the pro-junta alliance, draws much of its support from what they see as their people - the educated metropolitan middle class. It has now joined in alliance with the "Thaksin faction" to form a large opposition block in parliament, an alliance which if, as is likely, becomes more popular and effective, and endures beyond the next election, may be able to break the junta's grip on power. It must be the stuff of Prayuts (and others) nightmares - an alliance between the rural poor and a young, educated, liberal (or radical) metropolitan political movement. What are the Dinosaurs to do?

This opposition alliance must be broken, the most effective way would be to discredit Future Forward. How better than to "persuade" some of its MPs to vote (in a public ballot) for Prayut as Prime Minister? That is why I suggest the advances were made, not because the votes were needed. Prayut's election was already in the bag, for reasons we all understand. That is why only Future Forward were targetted. The rest simply don't matter, Future Forward must be discredited, What might be described as traditional allegations of tardiness in transferring share ownership, sedition by giving a lift to someone who may have been a protestor, and making defamatory posts on facebook aren't having any effect.

So there you have it: an argued logical reason for this attempted bribery. Machiavellian perhaps, but this is Thai politics! You may not agree with my analysis, there are several others on this forum who I know will disagree, but please don't dismiss it as bullshit, it is entirely credible.

From my impressions (and I could be wrong), most Thais would think there is nothing wrong with this kind of thing.... it seems morally acceptable to offer and take bribes here... just like a purchases of goods from a shop.

You are correct.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I will stand by and say that my postings a few years back were hopeful to say the least. They have since been proven to be misled and faintly optimistic

All bets are off now with the future of this nation.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Are the people bribing MPs going to be held responsible for being caught bribing officials? When MPs speak, people should listen, including police and other officials. Is this a chance for Thailand to turn this election around and get an honest person in?

On the bottom line in the streets money was paid to vote for Pryut, I know because the Thai people in Our Area Samut prakan , where given baht 500 each to vote for him , all took the money and then voted for the other guy.

He, the untouchable dictator, won the vote months, possibly years  ago.

Army personel hold key positions in government as appointed  by an unelected, untoutable dictator, under marshall law,  who is now PM, which comes as no surprise, so in essance the country is still ruled by the army, marshall law, dictatorship, as it has been since the 1930s, except for those very rare and short periods of democracy, or so called, but really othing has changed in decades except the b...!

Offering sums of money for votes is not uncommon and sadly those imdiviuals who have and are trying  to legally oppose the dictator and make change are probably pulled to one side and advised to rethink their agenda or else...

Consider getting  your finances, investments, belongimgs and so on sorted for a possible speedy departure.

My opinion? Great bullshit:
1. It was already clear before the elections that the General would remain prime minister!
2. Show me a person in this world who would reject such a figure, especially if rich!
3. Why are the complainants unable to produce evidence?
4. Who should have paid all those millions?
It's just another way to advertise, nobody believes it.

Archived