First year report card for Thailand’s battle against plastics

webfact

First year report card for Thailand’s battle against plastics

By The Thaiger

Plastic-bottles-on-a-Thai-beach.jpg

“Plastic waste is a major environmental problem because it takes hundreds of years to degrade.”

Yesterday was World Environment Day, a fitting day to give Thailand’s fight for a reduction on plastics a report card, after the first full year of campaigns to reduce single-use plastics. The Pollution Control Department says Thailand’s efforts have been successful after receiving general cooperation from the country’s business sector.

Among the achievements, the PCD says there has been a massive 80% reduction in the plastic rings that used to be part of water bottle caps, thanks to the cooperation of five major water bottle packaging companies.

Meanwhile, the Food and Drugs Administration is preparing legislation for a ban on the use of microbeads – almost microscopic plastic particles used in some cosmetic products.

Microplastics found in human stools, research finds Americans eat, drink and breathe between 74,000 and 121,000 microplastic particles each year depending on their age and sex, new research suggests. Those who exclusively drink bottled water rather than tap water can add up to 90,000 plastic particles to their estimated annual total, according to the study published Wednesday in the Environmental Science & Technology journal.

Research shows some particles are small enough to enter our tissues, where they can trigger an immune reaction, or release toxic substances and pollutants absorbed from the environment, including heavy metals.

The Plastic Waste Management Road Map 2018-2030 includes an ambitious plan for Thailand to use 100% recycled plastic by 2027 in various forms, including turning waste into energy.

President of the Plastic Industries Association, Paradorn Chullachart says the first year of concerted campaigning was a watershed moment for Thailand in reducing plastic waste.

“There has been a clear change in the minds of many Thais who are now starting to understand the impact of plastic use.”

“The business sector is working with state agencies to develop a Plastic Material Flow Database that shows the source, movement and cycle of plastic products and waste.”

But you will still notice the challenges ahead when you drive down any soi in Thailand and see the roadside sellers of ice-coffee – in a plastic cup, with a plastic lid, with a plastic straw in a plastic bag.

We’ll Thailand a score of ‘D’ for the first year’s, not even a pass mark. The second year will need to see more concrete action and less talking.

Wassana-Kafe-Coffee-in-Bangkok-Thailand-

Source: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/plastics/first-year-report-card-for-thailands-battle-against-plastics

28 minutes ago, webfact said:

Among the achievements, the PCD says there has been a massive 80% reduction in the plastic rings that used to be part of water bottle caps, thanks to the cooperation of five major water bottle packaging companies.

Bull Shyt. Give em a F.????

At Tops at the Central Festival Mall here in Pattaya I was told yesterday that they will not give you any plastic bags on every 4th of the month and on every Tuesday. So be prepared. Yesterday was Wednesday but this World Environment Day. So no plastic bags too. To me it looked more like a no customer day... 

Reducing plastic waste is easy to do: shopping at makro which gives way less plastic from packaging, in regular supermarkets it's just ridiculous, tons of plastic and foam for 100g of chicken or a single apple. Refilling plastic bottles either at a machine or with a delivery service also reduces the waste. Plastic cups are very bad, they serve for a very short time and then they become trash. Bags are more useful but you still get too many of those.

The hard parts comes from plastic waste disposal, I know my plastic goes in the trash and I can't do more than that. I am not sure what I can do to changes those that think it's just fine to throw plastic in the wild once they finished using it. Education, laws and enforcement would be the solutions, but none of those are the forte of Thailand.

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

2 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Why do you say that? They have gone.

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:
2 hours ago, webfact said:

1 hour ago, Moonlover said:

Why do you say that? They have gone.

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

They have not. Still getting them on our bottle water that is delivered to us weekly. As I said they get an BIG FAT F.????

Then could it be that the brand that you purchase is one of the 20% that have not yet cooperated?

We are not brand dedicated in our house and I cannot recall having to remove an antitamper cap from a bottle of water in many months.

So now I have to buy plastic bags to put my rubbish in, luckily "goody two shoes Makro' sell millions of them!

Glad the environment sees my purchased bags as different!

6 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Your generous - Id give them an "I" for Increase in rubbish.  It a disgrace - from an insider part of the reluctance to part with plastic comes from the ownership of the main distributor of plastic packaging in thailand, 711 and large supermarket chains.  BKK is like living in a big garbage dump.

3 hours ago, Odysseus123 said:

Remains the totally polluted @#$*hole that I have seen for the last decade....

Today, I saw a " Tourists Truck " capable of a 10 Ton load, and fully laden, deposit all kind of waste into a hole in the ground next to Reservation land.

And this happens with the knowledge of the Local Administration Office, who have had these incidents reported to them for Years, and fail in their duty to act upon the perpetrators.

Shame on you Thailand.LOS ( Land Of S^^T )

What happens to all the many condoms used every night? They are just used 1 time and then thrown away. Will there be condom free days now? I am afraid recycling is more complicated than avoiding plastic shopping bags... I think it is more a question of good recycling. 

4 minutes ago, Beggar said:

What happens to all the many condoms used every night? They are just used 1 time and then thrown away. Will there be condom free days now? I am afraid recycling is more complicated than avoiding plastic shopping bags... I think it is more a question of good recycling. 

most condoms are latex

Archived