Ripped off (again!)

OzMan

Last night I went to the Bangkok <deleted> Club to see a movie. I purchased two ice creams for around 300 baht and gave her a 1,000 note. She pulled 400 baht out of the till and made a sign that she had no change and would get some. I offered her 500 baht instead which she refused and went out the back to change my 1,000 baht note. When she returned she gave me 200 baht change. I said I gave her 1,000 baht but she denied this. My gf, who hardly speaks English, when I complained kept telling me she says you only gave her 500 baht. My gf was not there when I handed over the 1,000 baht note. In the end I gave up and accepted only 200 baht in change. I was really pissed off with my gf as she did not want to make a fuss.

To cap it all, when I went to the BTS on the way home and needed to top up my card he said I needed to produce my passport, a new rule. Was I pissed off by this time.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep you got done there coz when she went to the bac she left the 1,000 baht note there so no evidence left, curious thought, if you had a 500 baht note why did you give the 1,000 baht one?

anyway lesson to learn i guess and don't expect a GF or  wife to be on your side against their own kind, i also went to pay AIS bill in family mart and i was asked for my passport, welcome to the fun country called Thailand...

Never nice to have the feeling of being ripped off.   Would it be helpful for you to put a greater emphasis on the amount you pay a vendor each time?    In other words make a point of showing the person to whom you give your money how much  you give her.     Harder for that person to later deny how much is involved in the transaction.

Good luck.

11 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Never nice to have the feeling of being ripped off.   Would it be helpful for you to put a greater emphasis on the amount you pay a vendor each time?    In other words make a point of showing the person to whom you give your money how much  you give her.     Harder for that person to later deny how much is involved in the transaction.

Good luck.

I got ripped off once in Spain.

All tourists should avoid Spain and Thailand.

If anyone believes that, then I have a better story for you. But you need to send me money before I reveal it.

It has happened to me in 7/11 before, and just last week we went to a K Bank branch in a shopping mall as my wife needed to change her account name and get a new card. It took 20 - 30 mins and she paid 200b. After we had left, they phoned her and said she never paid. She insisted they check the camera and after wasting nearly a further hour in there the goon who served her realised she had actually taken the money.

There are a lot of peanut brains here. 

My regular 711 has been closed for remodeling for three weeks.. that has taken me to quite a few other places.. including other 711.  They learned quickly at my 711 that they will not try one on, and I am on a friendly basis with the employees.  Hate to say it, but the others seem to be rotten to the core, and you can't let your guard down at all.  Two incidents in one day has not been uncommon.  It also seems like the Thais are often broke this time of year.. another benefit of road death week or whatever they want to call it.  

It all evens out in the end. I gave a girl at the pharmacy 1,000 baht for a 200 baht item, but she couldn't tear her eyes off her phone long enough to pay attention. Deep in her 'facebook-trance', she returned my original 1,000 baht bill plus gave me 800 baht change. The marvels of modern technology!

When there is a cash register at the checkout, i always watch what they key into the tills and it should then register your change too.

Sometimes at 7-11 they have to go and get change but the transaction is still showing on the register for you to see, then there's no arguement on how much you gave them.

I take it there was no digital till for your ice creams?

28 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

It all evens out in the end. I gave a girl at the pharmacy 1,000 baht for a 200 baht item, but she couldn't tear her eyes off her phone long enough to pay attention. Deep in her 'facebook-trance', she returned my original 1,000 baht bill plus gave me 800 baht change. The marvels of modern technology!

Similar thing happened to me in 7/11 ????. But with a 500 baht. She gave me back 850 

31 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

So as a result of some low life petty thieves, you feel justified at also being a low life petty thief, good for you! I hope you feel good about ripping some poor girl off for a possibly a weeks wages <deleted>

4 hours ago, OzMan said:

I said I gave her 1,000 baht but she denied this. My gf, who hardly speaks English, when I complained kept telling me she says you only gave her 500 baht. My gf was not there when I handed over the 1,000 baht note. In the end I gave up and accepted only 200 baht in change. I was really pissed off with my gf as she did not want to make a fuss.

Common scam, never pay in entertainment venues with 1,000bht notes if it's less than 500bht.

At ATM always withdraw xx,900bht, that gives you some small notes.

Or go straight insider the 7-11 where there's a camera watching the till and buy something for 20bht with a 1,000bht bill.

But this has provided you with a valuable insight into your gf, well worth the 500bht, dump her she's worthless.

This scam happens often in 7/11.How many times does something comes to 72 baht or smaller , they give you the change and it might be 2 baht short ,  as it is only change you do not count it. Small change turns into big change at the end of the day .Also this happened to us in 7/11 where I gave the girl 1000 note for a loaf of bread and she gave me change of 100 baht . I told her what I had given her and my wife came and asked her to call the  the manager to check the video . She said sorry .. Told the manager and she just smiled.

Strangely enough i have had a few similar experiences recently. One in Makro were the old lady behind was also adamant that i only gave 500 and not the 1000. I refused to accept this and they looked at the cctv. Funnily enough i was with the mother-in-law and she backed me up and the old lady behind backed off. i think the old lady just didn't want to wait any longer. the other occasion was at 7/11 and she backed off straight away and gave me the correct change.

Maybe there is something in the water

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yep you got done there coz when she went to the bac she left the 1,000 baht note there so no evidence left, curious thought, if you had a 500 baht note why did you give the 1,000 baht one?

anyway lesson to learn i guess and don't expect a GF or  wife to be on your side against their own kind, i also went to pay AIS bill in family mart and i was asked for my passport, welcome to the fun country called Thailand...

Ezzra is dead accurate!  It's happened to me and continues.  In short, welcome to the land of smiles...it's the way wheels turn here.  Enjoy your stay however long you intend that to last, and get ready for more and worse.  I'm not a pessimist, rather a realist.  No more rose colored glasses.

26 minutes ago, Davo369 said:

Similar thing happened to me in 7/11 ????. But with a 500 baht. She gave me back 850 

I hope you gave her back the money? If not it was probably taken out of her pay. They all have a code key so management can balance sales v's cash on hand. Not to say you did but I could never cheat a young 7-11 worker probably on 300 baht a day.

1 minute ago, Los Luver said:

I have a habit:

When I use 1000 bill to pay, I always point at the number 1000 to make sure that that person sees that. A sign to "say" we both know that this a 1000.

Take a selfie of yourself handing the note over ................

In 11 years living in Thailand I have never once been taken advantage ( ripped ) off. Sure a few times the bar bin has come back with a few extra's but never from a shop. It is obviously a common practice by the replies to this post. I wonder how they pick their marks? 

6 hours ago, OzMan said:

To cap it all, when I went to the BTS on the way home and needed to top up my card he said I needed to produce my passport, a new rule.

Failing to see what good this new rule would do for Thailand. Bah mak!!

42 minutes ago, robblok said:

I must live a sheltered life never happens to me and in the local 711 they always (in Thai) say how much money they receive and then pay you back.

Same here on sheltered Phuket.

Archived