Ripped off (again!)

OzMan

1 minute ago, richiejom said:

cashiers given too much change 2 times and I gave them it back at Familymart

I only used Familymart twice, I couldn't see the till screen, and the prices on the shelf didn't match the total.

It's my nearest shop too.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I only used Familymart twice, I couldn't see the till screen, and the prices on the shelf didn't match the total.

It's my nearest shop too.

yes good point, Familymart don't show the prices well I think...which reminds me, me and my wife add everything up on her phone when grocery shopping and once in Family the total came to 150 baht more and we asked cashier for the receipt and he said nevermind and took the cash we handed

One hotel in BKK tried to charge us and extra 150 baht for a few Mama pots and crisps before and the cashier did the whole calculator on the desk trick... we had taken a photo of the price list on the fridge and we both looked puzzled.  I said in Thai can we have a receipt she pulled a ignorant face at me so my wife repeated it and she wrote a price breakdown, after all that we got the REAL price 

27 minutes ago, JoeFromUSA said:

I am starting to wonder what is wrong with me...never been ripped off, never gotten into an altercation, never had a bad experience with immigration (I am a patient person) Thai people smile at me and I am not funny looking in any way, they often try to start a conversation. Hardly ever carry my passport. I smile at police, they smile back. 

I am really starting to develop an inferiority complex.

You probably looked Asian at first one look.????

6 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

It all evens out in the end. I gave a girl at the pharmacy 1,000 baht for a 200 baht item, but she couldn't tear her eyes off her phone long enough to pay attention. Deep in her 'facebook-trance', she returned my original 1,000 baht bill plus gave me 800 baht change. The marvels of modern technology!

Thai mathematics..... Er, you did give her back the over payment didn't you?

The 1000 Baht change trick is quite common as cost of living has gone crazy and they don't get paid much.

14 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Justified? No, I felt wonderful and still do today. I got my product plus an 800 baht bonus for teaching her one of life's little lessons. Stop playing with your phone and pay attention to your responsibilities.

You didn't teach her anything other than reassuring her that all the bad press us foreigners get is true, we are all bad and in yoir case petty low life thieves! As for playing on her phone, recently  there has been a lot of research gone into how addictive social media has become and in Korea it is actually now referred to as an addiction up there with cigs drugs the lot. Your still a <deleted>

14 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Justified? No, I felt wonderful and still do today. I got my product plus an 800 baht bonus for teaching her one of life's little lessons. Stop playing with your phone and pay attention to your responsibilities.

Pretty cheap. You cost her 3 or 4 days pay and maybe even her job, just to feel superior. You also knowingly walked away from a transaction having pocketed money which isn't yours. In the UK this would fall short of fraud, but would qualify as theft:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/sep/25/fraud-accept-too-much-change

I now always withdraw my money in 1,900 baht instalments at an ATM ensuring that I always have the right money for purchases under 1000 B. And only use the 1000s when paying a bill of over 500.

It may take a few extra minutes but saves any problems later.

I've also had the change for 500 instead of for 1000 pulled on me before and you never get your money back. You only ever really learn the hard way.

It used to be a favourite trick of the waiters in the Bamboo Bar near the entrance to Walking Street in Pattaya.

12 hours ago, JoeFromUSA said:

I am starting to wonder what is wrong with me...never been ripped off, never gotten into an altercation, never had a bad experience with immigration (I am a patient person) Thai people smile at me and I am not funny looking in any way, they often try to start a conversation. Hardly ever carry my passport. I smile at police, they smile back. 

I am really starting to develop an inferiority complex.

What you are really trying to say but are too modest to do so is that you're a charismatic, pleasant natured fellow who gets on well with people wherever you may go but at the same time you give off the air of an individual who should not be trifled with. Am I right?

11 hours ago, richiejom said:

yes good point, Familymart don't show the prices well I think...which reminds me, me and my wife add everything up on her phone when grocery shopping and once in Family the total came to 150 baht more and we asked cashier for the receipt and he said nevermind and took the cash we handed

One hotel in BKK tried to charge us and extra 150 baht for a few Mama pots and crisps before and the cashier did the whole calculator on the desk trick... we had taken a photo of the price list on the fridge and we both looked puzzled.  I said in Thai can we have a receipt she pulled a ignorant face at me so my wife repeated it and she wrote a price breakdown, after all that we got the REAL price 

You took a photo of the price list? Some nite out with you guys!

Just now, yogi100 said:

An perhaps you're too thick, rude, ingnorant and stupid to work out why I do what I do.

Personally I think the sad emoji should be removed, as it leaves too much doubt as to what people mean by it. However, I would genuinely like to hear your reasoning - as to why knowingly walking away from a situation that would cost a lowly educated local 3 or 4 days wages and possibly their job for a paltry gain is a reasonable thing to do? I've already provided a link as to why this would be considered theft in the UK - over to you. 

12 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Personally I think the sad emoji should be removed, as it leaves too much doubt as to what people mean by it. However, I would genuinely like to hear your reasoning - as to why knowingly walking away from a situation that would cost a lowly educated local 3 or 4 days wages and possibly their job for a paltry gain is a reasonable thing to do? I've already provided a link as to why this would be considered theft in the UK - over to you. 

What has this reply to your earlier rude remark got to do with emojis sad or otherwise.

You would not address a stranger in a manner that suggested that they were stupid to their face so don't do it on a forum. Learn some manners.

The classic trick they try on you is pay with 1000 baht and they give you change 100 baht short, probably most people don't check properly. You know when they've done it on purpose because they haven't counted the change more than once, plus they give you the 100 back immediately without any debate.

This has recently happened at Burger king and Mr DIY with the same girl twice

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You would not address people in a manner that suggested that they were stupid to their face so don't do it on a forum. Learn some manners.

I'm quite happy to say what I feel in any forum, online or otherwise. But if you throw out the sad emoji indiscriminately, expect some blowback. You've so far completely failed to explain your objection to my earlier point.

44 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Perhaps you're too stupid to count change?

A what do you do if your change is incorrect and they insist that it is? Do you insist they call their supervisor or manager? Or perhaps you call the police? Then what do you do if whoever they call sides with the person who's short changed you. Good luck with that!

Would it not be better if that by having smaller denomination notes in your pocket you could give them the right money thereby removing the temptation for them to cheat you in the first place saving yourself the resulting aggravation.

Or are you really too dense to actually grasp this?

7 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

A what do you do if your change is incorrect and they insist that it is? Do you insist they call their supervisor or manager? Or perhaps you call the police? Then what do you do if whoever they call sides with the person who's short changed you. Good luck with that!

Would it not be better if that by having smaller denomination notes in your pocket you could give them the right money thereby removing the temptation for them to cheat you in the first place saving yourself the resulting aggravation.

Did you have these issues before moving to Thailand perhaps. Can’t say it’s  any different here using cash to buy things!

5 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

You might look like a walking target if this happens to you frequently, but I never had a problem like you describe in two decades. 

Of course small change is less likely to cause mistakes, but there's easy ways to avoid problems if you only have a thousand. Just make eye contact and say or mouth "phan neung" or "thousand" is sufficient in most circumstances, and if they return with the wrong change confront them with it. Count your change from the largest denominations first - that way if you're missing a purple you'll be on to it right away.

There's people out to cheat others and I like to think they get their comeuppance, but knowingly taking advantage of a minimum wage pharmacy employee who wasn't paying attention? You think this is OK? 

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

The classic trick they try on you is pay with 1000 baht and they give you change 100 baht short, probably most people don't check properly. You know when they've done it on purpose because they haven't counted the change more than once, plus they give you the 100 back immediately without any debate.

This has recently happened at Burger king and Mr DIY with the same girl twice

Exact scenario happened to me at SRT Ayutthaya.  Mr DIY is OK, but they let the sharks work the registers, too.. accurate pricing is a problem.. always 4 or 5 employees doing nothing. 

7 Eleven will consult the video recording if necessary, takes minutes, i know because they did for me

2 hours ago, GreenerGrass said:

You didn't teach her anything other than reassuring her that all the bad press us foreigners get is true, we are all bad and in yoir case petty low life thieves! As for playing on her phone, recently  there has been a lot of research gone into how addictive social media has become and in Korea it is actually now referred to as an addiction up there with cigs drugs the lot. Your still a <deleted>

Well then, I surely helped point out her 'addiction' and she can seek much needed help before she is playing on her phone while trying to drive a car, for example. Just think of the lives I may have saved! What would you have had me do? Bring the error to her attention? That would have required me to interrupt her Facebook-Addiction which is like waking someone up that's sleep walking. It causes overdue psychological stress.

It is nice that you are 100% beyond reproach in everything you do and say. I imagine you wearing a t-shirt that says 'Justice League Keyboard Warrior' on the front and 'Drama Queen' on the back.

14 hours ago, Grusa said:

Short story. Amazon in Kanchaburi PTT. Two hot coffees ti ni. Paid with 1000, got change for 500. Complained. Staff called manager, sequence from cctv emailed and shown, 5 minutes max, I was wrong, They were right. No doubts possible, apologies etc., all smiles and wais. No big deal.

Yes but other foreigners never make any mistakes they are always right and the Thais are wrong.

I like you it takes balls to admit you were wrong and give some perspective. 

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Pretty cheap. You cost her 3 or 4 days pay and maybe even her job, just to feel superior. You also knowingly walked away from a transaction having pocketed money which isn't yours. In the UK this would fall short of fraud, but would qualify as theft:

She cost herself 3-4 days pay due to her carelessness and preference to play on facebook rather than do her job. If the incident really put her in financial trouble, is there some reason she couldn't sell her phone to make up for it? Nothing about it made me feel superior, it just happened by random chance I happened to be there. I don't feel guilty about it either.

I had an incident at 7 Eleven, i was buying a load of chocolate and due to max discount of 10 items we had to pay for 10 at a time, anyway the transaction got really complicated and at the end of it it seemed I'd not received enough change. The transaction was repeated several times to try and get the correct outcome. Eventually we had to go to video to check the change for each transaction, and the manager added up cash in the tills. It turns out she could tell for one of the transactions the correct change was given. So she proved it was correct, i could see it was correct, it was quite impressive how she proved it was correct. If in doubt just go to video a bit like football.

Either way this wasn't an example of a rip off just a potential innocent mistake.

7 Eleven are very good at checking change, counting 2 to 3 times

18 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

She cost herself 3-4 days pay due to her carelessness and preference to play on facebook rather than do her job. If the incident really put her in financial trouble, is there some reason she couldn't sell her phone to make up for it? Nothing about it made me feel superior, it just happened by random chance I happened to be there. I don't feel guilty about it either.

Your cold, I hope someone teaches you a lesson once. (and I don't mean violently). 

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

somebodys gotta break it. wish atms gave out small bills.

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

Your cold, I hope someone teaches you a lesson once. (and I don't mean violently). 

Thank you for leaving out the violence. That's more than could be said for some on this forum that claim to have such high morals. I'm sure I have more lessons to learn, but have already been taught many lessons in life, and some of them were not enjoyable. But a lesson is a lesson and often is a benefit in the long run. I wouldn't deny being cold at times, and at other times I manage to be helpful and warm. Maybe it balances out or even tips towards the positive when the entire picture is looked at.

Archived