Ripped off (again!)

OzMan

19 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Thank you for leaving out the violence. That's more than could be said for some on this forum that claim to have such high morals. I'm sure I have more lessons to learn, but have already been taught many lessons in life, and some of them were not enjoyable. But a lesson is a lesson and often is a benefit in the long run. I wouldn't deny being cold at times, and at other times I manage to be helpful and warm. Maybe it balances out or even tips towards the positive when the entire picture is looked at.

I just would never hurt anyone in the wallet because your annoyed by telephone use. That is just me for people like that it hurts a lot. For such a minor thing as playing with a phone. If it were drunk driving or playing with a phone while driving I could understand it. (that is directly endangering people) this phone use is minor just a beef many old people have with the young generation.

I am anti violence so I had to mention it because otherwise my message could be interpreted wrongly. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/6/2019 at 9:37 AM, OzMan said:

To cap it all, when I went to the BTS on the way home and needed to top up my card he said I needed to produce my passport, a new rule. Was I pissed off by this time.

Must have confused the heck out the BTS staff as to why you were upset so much:-). But 300THB for 2 ice creams is a bit much, they must have seen you coming with your cork hat and thongs on.

6 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Must have confused the heck out the BTS staff as to why you were upset so much:-). But 300THB for 2 ice creams is a bit much, they must have seen you coming with your cork hat and thongs on.

Or maybe just used to cost of living in Oz!

40 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Thank you for leaving out the violence. That's more than could be said for some on this forum that claim to have such high morals. I'm sure I have more lessons to learn, but have already been taught many lessons in life, and some of them were not enjoyable. But a lesson is a lesson and often is a benefit in the long run. I wouldn't deny being cold at times, and at other times I manage to be helpful and warm. Maybe it balances out or even tips towards the positive when the entire picture is looked at.

It never occurred to you to go back and refund the money you stole?

26 minutes ago, robblok said:

I just would never hurt anyone in the wallet because your annoyed by telephone use. That is just me for people like that it hurts a lot. For such a minor thing as playing with a phone. If it were drunk driving or playing with a phone while driving I could understand it. (that is directly endangering people) this phone use is minor just a beef many old people have with the young generation.

Point well put and well taken. I appreciate you expressing your opinion without lowering yourself to rudeness. Now, if you're referring to me as 'old people', that's another story.  Ha ha.

3 minutes ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Point well put and well taken. I appreciate you expressing your opinion without lowering yourself to rudeness. Now, if you're referring to me as 'old people', that's another story.  Ha ha.

I was speaking in generalities and in general people on this forum are older. The young generation in general does not have much problems with mobile phone use. 

3 hours ago, Olmate said:

Did you have these issues before moving to Thailand perhaps. Can’t say it’s  any different here using cash to buy things!

Who has said that I have moved to Thailand? I haven't so you're jumping to conclusions. Is it because I post on Thai Visa?

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

7 Eleven will consult the video recording if necessary, takes minutes, i know because they did for me

You usually get ripped off in bars rather than 7/11. I've had problems in several bars over the years but never in a 7/11 or Family Mart.

19 minutes ago, robblok said:

I was speaking in generalities and in general people on this forum are older. The young generation in general does not have much problems with mobile phone use. 

Very perceptive of you. Not sure if I'm considered old, I'm 54, but will admit to having little tolerance for mobile phone use. Normally if it's just a simple mistake of being given too much change, or a waitress forgetting to add an item to my bill, I will bring it to their attention. Not always, but normally. If the girl in the pharmacy had not been playing on her phone and maybe taken the time to return my greeting and look up and pay attention, I probably would not have kept the money. I don't know now because it is in the past and what's done is done. I'm not proud of it nor do I feel guilty.

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, BobbyL said:

It has happened to me in 7/11 before, and just last week we went to a K Bank branch in a shopping mall as my wife needed to change her account name and get a new card. It took 20 - 30 mins and she paid 200b. After we had left, they phoned her and said she never paid. She insisted they check the camera and after wasting nearly a further hour in there the goon who served her realised she had actually taken the money.

There are a lot of peanut brains here. 

Why didn't your wife just produce the receipt that the banks always provide when charges such as that are made?   If she wasn't given a receipt why hadn't she asked for one?

"She insisted they check the camera and after wasting nearly a further hour in there the goon who served her realised she had actually taken the money".

Sometimes humans just make mistakes, you've probably got personal experience of that yourself, as we all have, that does not make them "peanut brains" or "goons".

22 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

It all evens out in the end. I gave a girl at the pharmacy 1,000 baht for a 200 baht item, but she couldn't tear her eyes off her phone long enough to pay attention. Deep in her 'facebook-trance', she returned my original 1,000 baht bill plus gave me 800 baht change. The marvels of modern technology!

You kept it?  Had that girl ever done anything to you in the past that justified your cheating her (the chances are that she'd have to pay for what you bought)?  

18 hours ago, Davo369 said:

Yes i was, because about 3 weeks beforehand I was short changed in the same shop. Didn't realize until i was home. "Karma"

So how come you only mentioned that now after a couple of people have challenged you?

6 hours ago, fhickson said:

somebodys gotta break it. wish atms gave out small bills.

When I withdraw my money in amounts of 1900 I get 

1 note @ 1000

1 note @ 500

4 notes @ 100

I use the 1000 notes for anything over 500 and the smaller ones for lesser payments.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:09 AM, ezzra said:

Yep you got done there coz when she went to the bac she left the 1,000 baht note there so no evidence left, curious thought, if you had a 500 baht note why did you give the 1,000 baht one?

anyway lesson to learn i guess and don't expect a GF or  wife to be on your side against their own kind, i also went to pay AIS bill in family mart and i was asked for my passport, welcome to the fun country called Thailand...

and don't expect a GF or  wife to be on your side against their own kind

humm... not my experience at all, my ex is a lawyer and there was a mistake by staff in uniglo when some trousers were shortened and the staff, bizarrely, tried to blame me for their low quality handy work, my gf watched me debate with them for while then calmly stepped in and it was sorted very quickly.

i've also dated quite a few chinese thai women and often have to stop them getting stuck into inefficient or incompetent staff.

My Mrs usually ends up threatening to sue them, sometimes out of all proportion and an unlikely possibility, but it usually sorts them out, or shuts them up. I have only been short changed three times, all at exchange rate booths and once in a Bank. Overcharging to start with is more common.

27 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

My Mrs usually ends up threatening to sue them, sometimes out of all proportion and an unlikely possibility, but it usually sorts them out, or shuts them up. I have only been short changed three times, all at exchange rate booths and once in a Bank. Overcharging to start with is more common.

That seems to be the way it is at the flea markets nowadays.. unmarked prices and they are way high, when you ask... like they are a lot more interested in a few suckers than running a sustainable business. 

8 hours ago, ColeBOzbourne said:

Of course it occurred to me, and obviously I decided against it. Some people have a problem with that and some don't.

Certainly an admirable trait.Maybe next time try shortchanging or stealing  from someone other than a junior shop assistant. 

better to do transactions, Big C. Tops, etc with the debit card

change 1000baht note at BTS counter or foodcourts. 

funny, if you watch them like a hawk they are counting the change 2-3 times. no problem.

If pay with 500/1000 and you are looking away, talking to partner, or even slightly distracted 4 times out of 10 they try to shortchange by 100baht.

26 minutes ago, tingtongtourist said:

better to do transactions, Big C. Tops, etc with the debit card

change 1000baht note at BTS counter or foodcourts. 

funny, if you watch them like a hawk they are counting the change 2-3 times. no problem.

If pay with 500/1000 and you are looking away, talking to partner, or even slightly distracted 4 times out of 10 they try to shortchange by 100baht.

They think if you have a few beers in you, you are then incapable of counting.... and they are especially bad at transit areas.. less chance of you returning. 

On 6/6/2019 at 8:10 AM, Davo369 said:

Similar thing happened to me in 7/11 ????. But with a 500 baht. She gave me back 850 

The awful side of that is, if you are not already aware - when the shortage is discovered, the staff members have to make it up. That's why they often count change several times before handing it over.

On 6/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, ColeBOzbourne said:

fIt all evens out in the end. I gave a girl at the pharmacy 1,000 baht for a 200 baht item, but she couldn't tear her eyes off her phone long enough to pay attention. Deep in her 'facebook-trance', she returned my original 1,000 baht bill plus gave me 800 baht change. The marvels of modern technology!

So you ripped the employee off????, how honest of you to give it back I hope

On 6/6/2019 at 10:25 AM, Gumballl said:

I got ripped off once in Spain.

All tourists should avoid Spain and Thailand.

If anyone believes that, then I have a better story for you. But you need to send me money before I reveal it.

Yep, I've been to Spain once, I know that bar.

19 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

No idea, but in this case the person didnt admit it and OP lost 500 baht.

My comment very obviously referred to the banking example given by the poster that I replied to, not the OP.

"...in this case the person didnt admit it and OP lost 500 baht".

Allegedly, possibly.

Archived