Tuk Tuk complaints

Awinkl

Had another "nasty" Tuk Tuk experience in Pattaya today.

Wanted to go from Jomtien to Naklua - and I am well aware that (most) Tuk Tuks only go to the Dolphin Round-about and then I would have needed to change - cross over to Naklua Road and find another Tuk Tuk there. However this time the "Tuk Tuk # 304"  stopped before TERMINAL 21 and as I was the only Passenger, the Lady (sitting next to the Driver) told me that this is where they stop - and that I should GET OFF!!

I asked WHY they don't continue to the Dolphin Roundabout and was just told again - NO, we stop here!! So I handed her a 20 Bath note and expected a 10 Bath returned - but she just tried to wind-up the window and refused to return the change. I told her, the correct fare is only 10 Bath - but she insisted that it is now 20 BATH from Jomtien to where they stopped. I continued to argue that that was NOT RIGHT and said that this is "ripping-off-Tourists" to which she just old me to F...k OFF!! ....I then noted down the Tuk Tuk number and then the Driver also got into the Act of swearing..... eventually, she handed me back 10 Bath - but the Money was not really the issue - it was the RUDE treatment and total disregard (especially towards Farangs) of Tuk Tuk drivers. While there may only be a few (???) Rogue Tuk Tuk drivers, it is these Guys that give the whole Fleet a bad name ....... After walking the few 100 meters towards the Dolphin Roundabout, I stopped at the Police-Box there and reported the incident, including the Tuk Tuk number - but I am SURE, that nothing will come from that

Two days ago, I also tried to go to Terminal 21 and this time - as the traffic was high on 2nd Road, the Driver just turned off into Soi 13 - instead of continuing the normal route - therefore I had to get off, walk back to 2nd Road and catch another one ..... just another annoying incident.

It's been 10 Baht for the 13 years I have been coming here; terrific value for money. To expect to go all the way to Naklua from Jomtien for just 10 Baht is miserly in the extreme.

Get a taxi cab from Jomtien to Naklua and see how much that costs you.

The correct fare for that is 10 baht. I've been going to T21 from Jomtien frequently over many months now with no pushback. Your mistake was clearly about not giving exact change.

That said pushback is still possible. That's the route that year's ago resulted in me being physically assaulted by a driver even giving exact change.

So my advice is always give exact change but if the driver is pushing back just cough up the 20 and quickly.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The best I have had recently (50% act like they have never passed any driving test) this oldish Thai was on second road stamping on his brakes and then on the accelerator, I was wondering if he had a licence as I got

off and handed him a one hundred Baht note, a few mins and he handed

me my change it was two twenty baht notes and lots of coins....before I could count it he stamped on the gas, and was away, I now never give

them more than twenty baht …he had charged me 40 baht..

Jomtien to Klang is 10 baht, after its 20.....isn't T21 right by Dolphin Roundabout?????
Incorrect. I did a big thread about this and tested it extensively myself as well. It's 10 baht to North road as well.

I can't say what the fare would be if they continue into Naklua though.

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

So my advice is always give exact change but if the driver is pushing back just cough up the 20 and quickly.

You have been very outspoken about all the rip offs and scams and how much you are against all of it.

So, why would you do this? Not stand your ground on what is right and correct?

Please stop doing this.

All you are doing by paying a falsely requested fare is encouraging them to continue this and make it more difficult for others who take the same route.

Thank you.

Dude, get a grip on reality...consider yourself lucky you were not robbed and beaten half to death...

People less lucky than you are losing fair amounts if baht everyday to unscrupulous business practices...

Be careful with your attitude...you may attract trouble...????

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

You have been very outspoken about all the rip offs and scams and how much you are against all of it.

So, why would you do this? Not stand your ground on what is right and correct?

Please stop doing this.

All you are doing by paying a falsely requested fare is encouraging them to continue this and make it more difficult for others who take the same route.

Thank you.

Because paying the extra 10 baht on the rare occasion of pushback is worth avoiding the risk of being physically assaulted. DUH! 

If you have a problem with a Songthaew you can report it to City Hall.

But in general, one doesn't make a drama about such things. Just get off and wait for the next Songthaew to Naklua. Instead, you just wasted your own time and put yourself under great strain for virtually nothing. Aren't you embarrassed with your own behaviour now, if you think back to it?

Learn to go with the flow a bit more or move to Switzerland. Otherwise you will be very unhappy. 

Perhaps Pattaya is a haven for kiniow farangs. I can't imagine getting my knickers in a twist over whether a fare is 10 or 20 baht.

The OP had to walk an extra 200 meters? Some par 3's that long for golfers, and that's only one hole in 9 or 18.

Several points:

1. As said above, you are talking about a songthaew, or more commonly known as a Baht bus in Pattaya, not a tuk-tuk, which is for private hire and at a negotiable price.

2. The correct fare is 10B.

3. Always carry change for the songthaew fare in Pattaya, otherwise you open yourself wide to such ripoffs. 

4. Songthaew drivers are a law unto themselves. They will deviate from set routes, terminate short of the normal end of route, and so on, arbitrarily.

5. NEVER get into a dispute with them, you will almost certainly not win, and they may escalate it into a physical fight, including with weapons and/or the well known Thai wolfpack who come running to 'assist'.

6. If you must, contact the tourist police or the consumer hotline to make your complaint. 

7. Good luck with 6.

15 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Because paying the extra 10 baht on the rare occasion of pushback is worth avoiding the risk of being physically assaulted. DUH! 

Are you easily intimidated? You are not standing your ground against theft and corruption.  Something you have been very adamant about.

So, where do you draw the line with them taking your money?

Just give in here, give in there, it is a legit question...at what point do you stand your ground??

11 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Are you easily intimidated? You are not standing your ground against theft and corruption.  Something you have been very adamant about.

So, where do you draw the line with them taking your money?

Just give in here, give in there, it is a legit question...at what point do you stand your ground??

Rather than ask others, why don't you test the limits of your own physical courage with such people? Let us know the result if and when you come out of hospital.

Anyway, talking about Songtaews, once I got on at Central Pattaya area and got off at Terminal 21 and gave the driver a 20 baht note through the small gap in the window and turning my hand around for the change but he wound up the window after collecting it. Lucky I was quick and moved my hand out of the way quickly otherwise my fingers would've gotten stuck in between. This pissed me off big time! After that I quickly and loudly banged on the window then he wound down the window to give me the 10 baht change.

22 hours ago, champers said:

It's been 10 Baht for the 13 years I have been coming here; terrific value for money. To expect to go all the way to Naklua from Jomtien for just 10 Baht is miserly in the extreme.

I don't think the OP was intending to go from Jomtien to Naklua for 10 Baht, he was getting of and changing to another bus which would have cost him another 10 Baht.

It is a great service, but you have to watch these guys, they are not interested in the service, only the amount of money they can get.

it is not unusual for them to turn of their route when the chance to make more money comes up. I have come up against it often enough.

Rather than ask others, why don't you test the limits of your own physical courage with such people? Let us know the result if and when you come out of hospital.
Yep. As I said I already had the experience of being physically assaulted over this issue. No wish for a repeat.

22 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The correct fare for that is 10 baht. I've been going to T21 from Jomtien frequently over many months now with no pushback. Your mistake was clearly about not giving exact change.

That said pushback is still possible. That's the route that year's ago resulted in me being physically assaulted by a driver even giving exact change.

That's the first time I have heard the word pushback, what does it mean?

Um, there's no Tuk Tuk's in Pattaya. What have you been smoking bro?
Russians call them tuk tuks to differentiate baht buses used as buses rather than private charter. All the drivers accept that Russian usage and don't correct them. So in Pattaya yes the same thing can be described three different ways.

Baht buses
Songthaews
Tuk tuks

If the drivers accept calling them Tuk tuks then they are Tuk tuks even if they're not.

I don't think the OP was intending to go from Jomtien to Naklua for 10 Baht, he was getting of and changing to another bus which would have cost him another 10 Baht.
It is a great service, but you have to watch these guys, they are not interested in the service, only the amount of money they can get.
it is not unusual for them to turn of their route when the chance to make more money comes up. I have come up against it often enough.
I think he wanted to go as far as North road just before Naklua right?

Again the fare for that from Jomtien is 10 baht unless you get a rogue driver.

3 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Several points:

1. As said above, you are talking about a songthaew, or more commonly known as a Baht bus in Pattaya, not a tuk-tuk, which is for private hire and at a negotiable price.

2. The correct fare is 10B.

3. Always carry change for the songthaew fare in Pattaya, otherwise you open yourself wide to such ripoffs. 

4. Songthaew drivers are a law unto themselves. They will deviate from set routes, terminate short of the normal end of route, and so on, arbitrarily.

5. NEVER get into a dispute with them, you will almost certainly not win, and they may escalate it into a physical fight, including with weapons and/or the well known Thai wolfpack who come running to 'assist'.

6. If you must, contact the tourist police or the consumer hotline to make your complaint. 

7. Good luck with 6.

#5. I won, but it was after dark, and I made sure there was no one else around. He had turned off the route, the other passengers paid him, I did not, why should he get paid when he is not providing the service?

22 hours ago, champers said:

Crap value, it's only just gone up to 8 baht in Bangkok, some routes are far longer. Always have the right change of course.

That's the first time I have heard the word pushback, what does it mean?
In this context it means handing over the correct fare of 10 baht and the driver angrily refusing that and demanding 20 baht instead. The vast majority of drivers will accept the correct fare in exact change of 10 baht. So my advice stands. Pay the correct fare in exact change. In the rare case of pushback just pay the demand and move on.

1 minute ago, kralledr said:

@OP  give me your account number il swnd you 10 bath lol..

what a drama and timewaste for 10 bath ????

I think it was a good chance to point out once again that the correct fare from Jomtien to as far North as North road is 10 baht.

Many foolish people actually think the fare jumps to 20 at SOUTH Pattaya Road!

When I've tried to correct them on the buses, they get mad at me so I don't bother with that, but at least on the forum here information about CORRECT FARES can be broadcast.

7 hours ago, toolpush said:

Tuk Tuk???? Am I the only person confused here? In Pattaya? Surely there is confusion here. Would it not be Soeng Teaws or Baht Busses that is being referred to?

Think you're right, try a 10 or 20 baht tuk-tuk on Phuket, and they'll probably beat you to a pulp.

Archived