Tuk Tuk complaints

Awinkl

25 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Some Song Taew drivers turn down soi 13. I stay on 13. I always wonder why. Is it a known route?

Going south, sometimes drivers also turn a street before Pattaya Tai and tell everyone to disembark.

Yes, they basically are allowed (nobody is stopping them) to end trips / to turn, etc. whenever they like. They will usually still demand 10 baht for that depending on the specifics and they also generally won't charge people that weren't on the bus for long. Sometimes the buses are hijacked by charter groups. In those case you need to be careful or they might take a wild detour. Often though they'll kick off the people already on the bus as a bus, not charge them, and direct them to another bus that they have magically commandeered for this purpose. So basically their behavior is a mix of the reasonable with the unreasonable. But still the fare is TEN BAHT and yes you usually need to pay that even if the bus doesn't go as far as you reasonably expected. It all comes out in the wash. 10 baht is cheap after all. 

Earlier this year I had a discussion with a lady songtaew driver who (very politely) told me that its definitely 20THB after Central.  I doubted her but I paid up. Since then I have been charged 20THB a couple of times, but usually 10THB is accepted.

I am much less concerned about this than them terminating the route short of the destination - which is really annoying. Or the ones that can only stamp on the brake and throttle, throwing passangers back and forth.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes, they basically are allowed (nobody is stopping them) to end trips / to turn, etc. whenever they like. They will usually still demand 10 baht for that depending on the specifics and they also generally won't charge people that weren't on the bus for long. Sometimes the buses are hijacked by charter groups. In those case you need to be careful or they might take a wild detour. Often though they'll kick off the people already on the bus as a bus, not charge them, and direct them to another bus that they have magically commandeered for this purpose. So basically their behavior is a mix of the reasonable with the unreasonable. But still the fare is TEN BAHT and yes you usually need to pay that even if the bus doesn't go as far as you reasonable expected. It all comes out in the wash. 10 baht is cheap after all. 

I agree. It doesn't bother me.  One time I paid the driver and he was shocked. But I was almost at my destination.

i've never been to pattaya but do they really have multi passenger tuk tuks? or are you talking about a songtaew? if you dont know the difference then there is clearly a lot you still have to learn about thailand, and when you understand more you will be able to avoid hassles and cope better.

it seems a lot of agitation about a fairly common place event in tourist thailand. is it really worth getting so worked up about 10 baht? life is surely too short.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, baansgr said:

Jomtien to Klang is 10 baht, after its 20.....isn't T21 right by Dolphin Roundabout?????

I have only paid 10 Baht from Jomtien/Chaiyapruek to Big C at Soi 2. That is if and a big if, the BB passes Pattaya Klang vs heading to the beach. I find if there are tourists usually Russians heading for terminal 21 before Klang, they keep going north. Otherwise I get dumped opposite the bowling alley.

But if not stopped it is still only the 10B. Honestly in a reasonably active BB it has to be pretty hard for the driver to remember who got on where.

i've never been to pattaya but do they really have multi passenger tuk tuks? or are you talking about a songtaew? if you dont know the difference then there is clearly a lot you still have to learn about thailand, and when you understand more you will be able to avoid hassles and cope better.

it seems a lot of agitation about a fairly common place event in tourist thailand. is it really worth getting so worked up about 10 baht? life is surely too short.

No. Pattaya doesn't have Tuk tuks at all. But over the years Russians for some bizarre reason have been calling Pattaya Songthaews Tuk tuks when they function as busses rather than charters. Because the drivers don't correct the Russians and they know what they mean I think in the context of Pattaya we can accept this odd usage as correct enough. Now if there were actual Tuk tuks here then this usage wouldn't have evolved in the first place. But generally they are called baht buses in Pattaya at least by non Thais.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

First of all.....its not a Tuk Tuk.

Its a Song Taew or Bhat Bus.

Tuk Tuks dont have roll up windows.

Are u really that tight that u need to get worked up over 10 BHAT........and worked up enough to post here about it.

If 10 bhat is that big a deal........next time get correct change before getting on.

myself.......I always flip em 20 anyway. They have bills too.   They have a family to feed.  Driv8ng in Pattaya traffic all day?  I cant think of a more horrid way to try to make a living. 

On 6/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, champers said:

It's been 10 Baht for the 13 years I have been coming here; terrific value for money. To expect to go all the way to Naklua from Jomtien for just 10 Baht is miserly in the extreme.

Get a taxi cab from Jomtien to Naklua and see how much that costs you.

Hmmm, in my original Post I did mention, that I "knew" that I had to change Cars at the Dolphin Round-about - and I also "knew" that the normal Fare to Naklua is 20 bath. I also mentioned, that it really was NOT about the (miserly) money - but the ATTITUDE of the Operators!!

I also have been coming here for (13) years and am quite familiar with things as they are around here (TIT). It was just the attitude expressed by the Driver at that time - that brought me to make the Post - not so much for "Old Pattaya Hands", but for some new people who are faced with similar situations.

My appologies to all who have reacted to my use of Tuk Tuk - of course they are Songtheaws or Bath Buses ...... and ...  when you suggested that I take a Taxi to Naklua - did you mean a "Metered Taxi" - or should I just pay the Driver whatever he wants???? LOL

Btw, it will NOT be necessary for 10 bath to be sent to me - as one Poster suggested .... it was NOT about the Money - but the treatment of the Operators....

5 minutes ago, Awinkl said:

Hmmm, in my original Post I did mention, that I "knew" that I had to change Cars at the Dolphin Round-about - and I also "knew" that the normal Fare to Naklua is 20 bath. I also mentioned, that it really was NOT about the (miserly) money - but the ATTITUDE of the Operators!!

I also have been coming here for (13) years and am quite familiar with things as they are around here (TIT). It was just the attitude expressed by the Driver at that time - that brought me to make the Post - not so much for "Old Pattaya Hands", but for some new people who are faced with similar situations.

My appologies to all who have reacted to my use of Tuk Tuk - of course they are Songtheaws or Bath Buses ...... and ...  when you suggested that I take a Taxi to Naklua - did you mean a "Metered Taxi" - or should I just pay the Driver whatever he wants???? LOL

Btw, it will NOT be necessary for 10 bath to be sent to me - as one Poster suggested .... it was NOT about the Money - but the treatment of the Operators....

I would say that most of the drivers are fine, some are even quite pleasant. The aggresive ones don't do things by half.

My "favourite" was the one that doused me in water with a gun during Songkram as I handed my 10 Baht through the window.

While traveling all over Thailand with my very well-seasoned-traveller, former gf and using all forms of ground transportation including many tuk tuks and baht busses, she never once had a dispute (even with a farang in tow). Why not? Because she always clarified the rate first and she always had correct payment ready. What a blast! No complaints.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:33 PM, Awinkl said:

Wanted to go from Jomtien to Naklua ........So I handed her a 20 Bath note and expected a 10 Bath returned - but she just tried to wind-up the window and refused to return the change. I told her, the correct fare is only 10 Bath -"ripping-off-Tourists" to which she just old me to F...k OFF!! ....I

So....let me ask you this.  How do you get back to Jomtien from Terminal 21 for 10 baht? 

You cannot.  So why would you think riding in one direction is 10 baht and the other is 20 baht?

This is why they charge 20 baht from Jomtien to Terminal 21.

Terminal 21 to Pattaya Tai, 10 Baht.  Second baht bus needed to go to Jomtien, 10 baht.  Total = 20 baht.  

Very simple - no "ripping off" involved

So....let me ask you this.  How do you get back to Jomtien from Terminal 21 for 10 baht? 

You cannot.  So why would you think riding in one direction is 10 baht and the other is 20 baht?

Terminal 21 to Pattaya Tai, 10 Baht.  Second baht bus needed to go to Jomtien, 10 baht.  Total = 20 baht.  

You are totally wrong!

They do not charge 20 baht from Jomtien to Terminal 21!

They will take your 20 baht if you give it to them.

They will also take 10 baht.

So 10 baht is actually the correct fare.

How do I know for sure?

Because for easily over 100 rides in recent times the 10 baht was accepted 100 percent of the time.

Sure it's possible it won't be. But it almost always will be.

The mistake people make creating the false impression that the fare isn't 10 baht is people listening to irrelevant rationalizations such as yours about the opposite direction, not giving exact change and last but not least asking the drivers.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

17 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

The correct fare from Jomtien to Dolphin Round about (North Road) is 10 Baht!! 

Just look at Post #45 who confirms it as well.

The way back to Jomtien is 10 Baht from North Road (along Beach Road) to the corner of Pattaya Tai & 2nd Road - and a further 10 Baht from there - to Jomtien.

3 minutes ago, Awinkl said:

... well spotted - I stand corrected!!

I see "bath" instead of "baht" frequently on this forum and can never quite understand why (I prefer showers myself). But I see Awinkl took being corrected well.

8 hours ago, Awinkl said:

The correct fare from Jomtien to Dolphin Round about (North Road) is 10 Baht!! 

Just look at Post #45 who confirms it as well.

The way back to Jomtien is 10 Baht from North Road (along Beach Road) to the corner of Pattaya Tai & 2nd Road - and a further 10 Baht from there - to Jomtien.

As you point out - it will cost 20 baht to return to Jomtien.  

It just seems obvious that if you are paying 20 baht one direction (albeit 2 fees of 10 baht) 

Why all the outrage when they ask you to pay 20 baht the other direction?   Same distance 

8 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

As you point out - it will cost 20 baht to return to Jomtien.  

It just seems obvious that if you are paying 20 baht one direction (albeit 2 fees of 10 baht) 

Why all the outrage when they ask you to pay 20 baht the other direction?   Same distance 

Again, the correct and ACCEPTED fare from Jomtien to North Pattaya Road (including T21) is TEN baht, not TWENTY. What's the agenda of trying to spread false information that the fare is TWENTY baht? 

Archived