Russian used pen to change his visa stamp after "losing track of the time" with Thai girlfriend

webfact

Russian used pen to change his visa stamp after "losing track of the time" with Thai girlfriend

3pm.jpg
Picture: Naewna

A Russian man who was caught on overstay at the Klong Leuk border checkpoint to Cambodia told immigration he changed a stamp with his own pen. 

Dmitril Ignatov, 32, had been in Thailand visiting his girlfriend and was trying to get back to Cambodia. 

When his passport was checked in the system he was found to be on three days overstay. 

A stamp on page 15 of his passport had been altered in pen.

He said he lost track of the time while with his girlfriend.

Source: Naewna

17 minutes ago, webfact said:
A Russian man who was caught on overstay at the Klong Leuk border checkpoint to Cambodia told immigration he changed a stamp with his own pen.

When his passport was checked in the system he was found to be on three days overstay.

What an idiot. Why didn't he pay the 1500baht fine instead?

I'm guessing here, but these days everything to do with immigration is (presumably) computerized, so when you enter the country everything is logged from visa numbers, who you are, date and point of entry and how long you are entitled to stay here etc. When you depart, they enter the number on your TM 6 departure card into the computer and all the relevant information is displayed. They may even be able to access this info by just scanning the biometric chip in your passport, although I'm not sure about that.  

So doctoring the the good old fashioned stamp in your passport is really rather pointless. on many levels. 30 years ago maybe...

23 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Just read your link, it seems amazing with all the money available that he was tried at all. As I said in an earlier post, forging a document is taken very seriously here so the Russian guy may wish he had taken some novichoke.

1 minute ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm guessing here, but these days everything to do with immigration is (presumably) computerized, so when you enter the country everything is logged from visa numbers, who you are, date and point of entry and how long you are entitled to stay here etc. When you depart, they enter the number on your TM 6 departure card into the computer and all the relevant information is displayed. They may even be able to access this info by just scanning the biometric chip in your passport, although I'm not sure about that.  

So doctoring the the good old fashioned stamp in your passport is really rather pointless. on many levels. 30 years ago maybe...

You are correct, they can. I lost my TM6 somehow, but when I arrived at Padang Besar the IO scanned my passport and asked me to fill in a new form. The TM6 number was changed on the computer and I was stamped out. The quite senior IO was very pleasant and not at all perturbed by the loss.

BTW on my return at Had Yai airport, I was referred to a senior IO and asked about my lost passport, which happened 15 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Just read your link, it seems amazing with all the money available that he was tried at all. As I said in an earlier post, forging a document is taken very seriously here so the Russian guy may wish he had taken some novichoke.

It was reported that he did not reveal his royal lineage during proceedings and was overwhelmed by being arrested never having to manage adversity and harsh treatment before. So he went like a lamb to the slaughter, literally. The Thais don't like to talk about it obviously.

And his was only one day for which there would have been no overstay levied at the airport!!

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I just read it too. I'm surprised that this rich family couldn't "spring" him out of the Thai jail.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

I just read it too. I'm surprised that this rich family couldn't "spring" him out of the Thai jail.

He was in a coma before any of his family knew he was in a Thai jail. He was left unconscious on the floor of the cell without medical treatment for many hours.

49 minutes ago, Ozman52 said:

BTW on my return at Had Yai airport, I was referred to a senior IO and asked about my lost passport, which happened 15 years ago

They are slowly moving into the 20th century...

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

2006 - Thaksin was busy courting the Europeans, looking to invest his dirty money.

Such a scandal may not have looked good for those licking his feet - aristocracy tends to turn a blind eye to a potential investor's "little misdemeanors".

The English FA would have been neck deep up his crack by then...

1 minute ago, ParadiseLost said:

2006 - Thaksin was busy courting the Europeans, looking to invest his dirty money.

Such a scandal may not have looked good for those licking his feet - aristocracy tends to turn a blind eye to a potential investor's "little misdemeanors".

The English FA would have been neck deep up his crack by then...

How many irrelevancies and inaccuracies can you include in a 4 sentence post? You're up there with the best, mate.

Archived