Unusual Cars Seen in Thailand

1 hour ago, BMW Overlander said:

Friend of mine bought it. It is in Nakhon Si Thammarat now.

It's a nice car. When I bought it it had a 2JZ but needed a V8 so I put a 1UZ in it.

1UZ.JPG

Edited by Rdrokit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Looks like a '69?

Looks pretty clean, probably came in as an embassy/consulate car given the left hand drive...

Some GIs brought their cars when stationed here (65-73) and sold them to Thais when they left. Most embassy cars are 4 doors.

9 minutes ago, Rdrokit said:

Some GIs brought their cars when stationed here (65-73) and sold them to Thais when they left. Most embassy cars are 4 doors.

I was not talking about embassy cars,  I was talking about the personal car the embassy and consulate bring over for people that are stationed here.

Hard to imagine GIs at that time having enough disposable income to buy a car and bring it over.

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I was not talking about embassy cars,  I was talking about the personal car the embassy and consulate bring over for people that are stationed here.

Hard to imagine GIs at that time having enough disposable income to buy a car and bring it over.

GIs bought their cars over because of free shipping (military picked up the bill) and rather than ship them home sold them to rich Thais as they were just used cars and not yet classic cars. Also back then Thais that went to school abroad could bring in their cars that they bought abroad without import tax. Not anymore as no one now can import a used car.

23 hours ago, elgenon said:

How much did it cost to import? I like the customization! As we say, customized by accident.

Yes, it's difficult to tell the make and model of the car. I tried my best to get this information but the unique customization didn't allow me to when I took the photos.

I've been told by a good source the car is actually one of those expensive TESLA models

On 3/3/2021 at 7:06 PM, VYCM said:

Yes, it's difficult to tell the make and model of the car. I tried my best to get this information but the unique customization didn't allow me to when I took the photos.

I've been told by a good source the car is actually one of those expensive TESLA models

It certainly looks sleek enough to be a Tesla. Oops. Musk will defame us now.  $$$