Unusual Cars Seen in Thailand

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 4:45 PM, Rdrokit said:

Well that is one rare 850 as it is an Aplina 850Csi with  a 350hp 5 liter 12 cylinders with 350hp pretty good in 1994. 

This looks like a wishful thinkers BMW 850Ci with an Alpina boot badge. 

Wasn't the real E31 Alpina badged B12 5.0 (or 5.7), not 850Ci, which this is showing?  Real Alpinas also had a B12 5.0 (or 5.7) badge on the right hand front grille which this one doesn't have.

Genuine Alpina wheels usually didn't have visible valve stems either, they were hidden inside the centre cap and the wheels had hollow spokes for inflating the tyres.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

This looks like a wishful thinkers BMW 850Ci with an Alpina boot badge. 

Wasn't the real E31 Alpina badged B12 5.0 (or 5.7), not 850Ci, which this is showing?  Real Alpinas also had a B12 5.0 (or 5.7) badge on the right hand front grille which this one doesn't have.

Genuine Alpina wheels usually didn't have visible valve stems either, they were hidden inside the centre cap and the wheels had hollow spokes for inflating the tyres.

I think you are correct. Alpinas did have a B12 badge. Thais like to up badge their cars. Have a neighbor who bought a 520 and now it has an M badge on it. lol

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, eezergood said:

cant be many in LOS 

I only know of 2 and here is the other one. Both running 440 engines. Don't like this one as much as I would not cut a hole in my hood just to run a high rise manifold but I would cut one for a blower. lol

Blown Charger.jpg

BB engine.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 11:05 AM, MatteoBassini said:

Great thing about this car (and other Mitsuokas really) is that it's based on the NC MX-5. So the Mitsuoka brand may be gone in Thailand but it's still easy and cheap to maintain.

what about insurance costs??

13 minutes ago, essox essox said:

who licences them??

All the ones I posted are licensed and have a book. Many of these cars were brought in in the 70s and 80s when custom rules were laxed.

I imagine that some of the G.I.s that were stationed here in the 60s and 70s brought some over. Now there are a few I know that are running the wrong book and just switched vin number plates. If you find a nice vintage car with the correct book they are not cheap. My 65 Olds Cutlass had the correct book and I registered it every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

A thai friend of mine has this car since 28 years !

Looks like a new one - it's in Phangkhon - Sakon Nakhon province

P4261273_Phangkhon_mercedes_28_years.thumb.jpg.144e1f4a17dc9af4636ed28369795aec.jpg

1106024888_P4261275_Phangkhon_mercedes_28_years(Copy).thumb.jpg.a782511aba85c8d2b375bedb0ee98b4f.jpg

P4261276_Phangkhon_mercedes_28_years.thumb.jpg.6fc47aa5aa081bb550d3a3f4501c9c4b.jpg

Shouldn't this be under The Least Unusual Cars Seen In Thailand topic?  I suppose the manual gearbox is a little unusual here but W124s with sagging driver's seats are ten a penny, almost literally.

last time i've been searching kaeng krachang circuit, seen some unusual photos on google map:

ZA93es.jpg
ZA98wn.jpg
ZA9QyQ.jpg
ZA9lLj.jpg

it would be so cool to own a 7/caterham/locost etc. in Thailand. yes it's almost impossible to get it road legal, but that doesn't seems too big a problem(we all know there're loads of problematic cars on Thai streets already) 

• Like 2

Years  ago up here in Chiang mai,seen a Thai driving a tubular

frame ,homemade car,i don't think it could have been legal,

but there weren't any road blocks then,and there used to be

a stretched VW microbus Type 2 ,running around.

regards worgeordie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...