Unusual Cars Seen in Thailand

On 6/9/2019 at 4:20 PM, transam said:

My chum still has one, it has a 5.0 V8 though..

Had one when I was an apprentice.........IIR it had a 1197 side valve engine and the windscreen wipers were vacuum driven which meant they almost came to a stop when going up a hill!

As this is about cars seen in Thailand, I did see a Ford Consul Classic 315 a few years ago in Chiang Rai and was tempted to stop and have a closer look at it, but didn't!! Wish I had now.

8 minutes ago, transam said:

My chum still has his Ford Consul Capri which has a 5.0 ltr V8...????..Think it's a '65, perhaps the best UK Ford ever designed, well at least for the era....

capri.jpg.d6127aa0e37856a84cb33abbe9bafc87.jpg

At the time I heard it was more or less a "stopgap" car coming at the time when the Ford Anglia was being phased out, and that the design owed much too its American influence.

The only problem with it was that the early ones had the Ford 1340 cc engine, which was a dog and a bugger to start as it had the same engine as my Ford Cortina Mark 1 and I eventually changed that out for a 1500 cc version, although I do believe the later versions, although only made for a few years, did have the 1500 cc Ford engine in them?? 

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this topic up. Saw one of these today in Korat. Must say in the 13 years I have lived in Thailand this is the first time I have seen one. I checked 2car.com and there were a few of them for sale. All used and the cheapest around 1 million baht. I think they are cool little cars especially in Thailand where most every car is under powered. The one I saw was exactly like this one, a 2 liter TSI. Running the same engine as a GTI, 2 liter petrol turbocharged. Stock with 217hp but easy to tune to 300 and up.

gallery_used-car-one2car-volkswagen-scirocco-tsi-highline-hatchback-thailand_9418506_fLsPU9fn7adTgFBy4ZOXMa.jpeg

gallery_used-car-one2car-volkswagen-scirocco-tsi-highline-hatchback-thailand_9418506_sPhpjZozCImZkxG5vyBXFH.jpeg

Edited by Rdrokit
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, johng said:
14 hours ago, Toosetinmyways said:
AMC had a dealership in the 70's in Bangkok 

Wasn't it an AMC car used in the Bond movie "The man with a golden gun" ?

Yes it was a Matador.

au042-amc-matador-coupe-large-flying.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 11:05 PM, Rdrokit said:

Thought I'd bump this topic up. Saw one of these today in Korat. Must say in the 13 years I have lived in Thailand this is the first time I have seen one. I checked 2car.com and there were a few of them for sale. All used and the cheapest around 1 million baht. I think they are cool little cars especially in Thailand where most every car is under powered. The one I saw was exactly like this one, a 2 liter TSI. Running the same engine as a GTI, 2 liter petrol turbocharged. Stock with 217hp but easy to tune to 300 and up.

gallery_used-car-one2car-volkswagen-scirocco-tsi-highline-hatchback-thailand_9418506_fLsPU9fn7adTgFBy4ZOXMa.jpeg

gallery_used-car-one2car-volkswagen-scirocco-tsi-highline-hatchback-thailand_9418506_sPhpjZozCImZkxG5vyBXFH.jpeg

Absolutely love those cars. My brother has R model , 265 HP. Every time I go home and drive it puts a smile on my face. Angry little beast. 

• Like 1