Unusual Cars Seen in Thailand

19 hours ago, mike324 said:

the owners takes it for coffee around the city on weekends and night driving along the highways ... sure beats being kept in the garage and rotting away. Don't think any sane person would have that as a daily car for getting to work.

Roads in bangkok isn't too bad for the most parts, just got to choose which roads to take. Those frequent by 10 wheels are brutal for these sports cars.

Im sure it would overheat in the traffic chaos of Bangkok

• Haha 1

On 9/9/2019 at 11:47 AM, toofarnorth said:

Ok , the headline is unusual cars seen . Maybe others have seen plenty of these about but this is the only one I have seen up here in my town.  A Toyota Crown Majestica , Mk 2  '95 - 99.  Don't know the owner and don't know if it is the 3 litre or 4 litre V8. Would swap my Vios for it.

IMGP1535.JPG

Crown Majesta.

3 hours ago, eezergood said:

Im sure it would overheat in the traffic chaos of Bangkok

Why are you sure it would overheat?  It's very rare for any car to be seen incapacitated by overheating these days, so there's no reason to suspect that a V6 Jag, built to supercar standards, would either;  all cars are designed with temperature extremes in mind.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Saw this Toyota in Yangon. I think it is either pre-World War 2 or just after.

In it's own way, its successor, the humble Toyota Vios, is a modern classic because you can't kill the 1.5 L motor with an axe.

IMG20181115194003.jpg

IMG20181115193941.jpg

IMG20181115193923.jpg

It's something with either a Toyota AA or AC front end grafted on but can't be a  pre-war Toyota.  Toyotas of that era  (1936 onwards) didn't have that curved door glass with modern flush-fitting door handles (which look suspiciously 4-door pickup-like), curved, chrome-trimmed windscreen with modern wipers or non-suicide rear doors .  If it was the real thing it would be very, valuable. 

Edited by Just Weird

10 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

It's something with either a Toyota AA or AC front end grafted on but can't be a  pre-war Toyota.  Toyotas of that era  (1936 onwards) didn't have that curved door glass with modern flush-fitting door handles (which look suspiciously 4-door pickup-like), curved, chrome-trimmed windscreen with modern wipers or non-suicide rear doors .  If it was the real thing it would be very, valuable. 

You may be right. Grafting a body style of a previous or subsequent model seems to happen in Asia sometimes. My Merc coupe had the same treatment. Doesn't make sense, because it decreases the value as original.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alan grice said:

Toyota was a Cotton Factory. Its first car had a Chevy engine,

Toyota wasn't a "cotton factory", it has always been an automotive company. 

Toyoda was an engineering company making looms and Toyota the auto maker was spunoff from it and made it's own automobile engine based on something made by Chevrolet.

11 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Toyota wasn't a "cotton factory", it has always been an automotive company. 

Toyoda was an engineering company making looms and Toyota the auto maker was spunoff from it and made it's own automobile engine based on something made by Chevrolet.

I thought Sakichi made the loom machine intially for his fabric company.

There's a lot of these really good biiig Toyotas on the streets of Yangon. Imported second-hand from Japan, due to the stringent environmental laws there. About 2 yo, no more than 40,000 km on the odometer. Not seen in Thailand, presumably due to import taxes. The Australian car industry squeals like a stuck pig whenever the topic is raised, although our neighbors across the Tasman seem to have no problem. Who said protectionism was dead?

IMG20181116110842.jpg

IMG20181116110826.jpg

4 hours ago, Just Weird said:

From wiki  "Three A1 prototypes were completed in May 1935. None of them survive." and "A total of 1,404 AA sedans were produced from 1936 to 1943, when the model was replaced by the more austere AC."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AA#A1

There are/were some rare stuff in Burma. About 20 years ago i was there and saw a Jag XK120 roadster driving down the street. As i was sitting at Yangoon airport i saw 2 P51 Mustangs taking off.

Edited by taichiplanet

On 6/9/2019 at 4:30 AM, Rdrokit said:

Please guys do not hijack this thread with non Thailand pixs. Just to get us back on track. It does have a Thai license plate. Ferrari F430.

F430.JPG

430 engine.JPG

Normally see these parked up outside the Sala in Ayutthaya, while their talcum powder faced Thai owners spend 4 hours photographing and 'IG'ing' (whatever that is...) the overpriced meals they order, just so they could filter the life out of them before posting them for all to see

Nice car though ????

3 hours ago, mrblonde said:

Normally see these parked up outside the Sala in Ayutthaya, while their talcum powder faced Thai owners spend 4 hours photographing and 'IG'ing' (whatever that is...) the overpriced meals they order, just so they could filter the life out of them before posting them for all to see

Nice car though ????

Their food is overpriced and not all that but the architecture there is nice, something a bit different for Thailand..